Touring Models Road King, Road King Custom, Road King Classic, Road Glide, Street Glide, Electra Glide, Electra Glide Classic, and Electra Glide Ultra Classic bikes.
Sponsored by:
Sponsored by:

Screaming Eagle Slip-On

Search this Thread

Old 08-03-2011, 05:13 PM
Heavy D
Cruiser
Received 0 Likes on 0 Posts
Default Screaming Eagle Slip-On

Hey guys. I'm looking at the Harley website at the Screaming Eagle Slip-Ons. I see that they have SE Street Performance (80721-09) and they have SE Thunder Street Performance (65115-10). Other than the extra exhaust tips you need to buy for the Thunder Street, can anyone comment to the difference between these 2 slip-ons?

I've got a stock 2010 FLHTC. Looking for a better rumble than stock, but nothing loud. The neighbours don't need to hear them, just me the rider.

Thanks.

Old 08-03-2011, 05:26 PM
mkguitar
Extreme HDF Member
Received 398 Likes on 340 Posts

Hey Heavy,

Nice riding in your area, eh?

Be aware that with the cat in the header, that is the biggest effect on flow and sound on your bike.

You may not see much in the way of performance advantage with the cat in place, no matter how much you spend.

If you look at the S/E Fatshotz ( supertrapp) mufflers,

http://www.ultimatemotorcycling.com/...20Mufflers.jpg

you see that they are straight through, and are spec'd for 2010 and up bikes---because the cat keeps them noise compliant.
the difference in the 09 vs the 10 part numbers would be that the 09 pipes ( spec'd for no cat) are likely to be more restrictive.

IF you were to have the cat removed, you stock mufflers might just give you what you need and better performance without huge costs. ( and keep you OK with the QPP, I've been hassled a couple of times by them)

A couple of riders here have posted their method if you do a search

Mike

Old 08-03-2011, 05:43 PM
Heavy D
Cruiser

Ahhh, I did not know that the -09 and -10 in the part numbers were to specify cat vs no-cat bikes.

Your right, at this point performance gains aren't what I'm looking for. I cruise, and wouldn't have bought an ElectraGlide if I was looking for performance.

So, back to the part numbers, I guess the SE Thunder Street's are the ones suited for my bike in order to get the best sound with a cat in the header. Or the SuperTrapps....

And YES, I would rather be riding here than in the heat wave you guys are having these days. You guys are lucky you haven't melted yet!

Old 08-03-2011, 07:20 PM
ColoSpgsMark
Road Captain

I've got the Thunder Street (-10) on mine and really like the sound and performance. Just got it tuned with the new cams today and it comes in at 100 ft lbs and 91 hp.

I can still enjoy my tunes also.

Mark

Last edited by ColoSpgsMark; 08-03-2011 at 09:08 PM.
Old 08-03-2011, 09:02 PM
Port Dawg
Road Warrior
Received 2 Likes on 2 Posts

Originally Posted by Heavy D
Ahhh, I did not know that the -09 and -10 in the part numbers were to specify cat vs no-cat bikes.

Your right, at this point performance gains aren't what I'm looking for. I cruise, and wouldn't have bought an ElectraGlide if I was looking for performance.

So, back to the part numbers, I guess the SE Thunder Street's are the ones suited for my bike in order to get the best sound with a cat in the header. Or the SuperTrapps....

And YES, I would rather be riding here than in the heat wave you guys are having these days. You guys are lucky you haven't melted yet!

Do a search for some posts by mtclassic He has the Thunder Street pipes with the Supertrapp baffle in them and is really happy with the sound. He said he would have just gotten the Supertrapps if he had to do it all over again. I'm leaning this way as well if I I leave the cat on. Maybe add a SE SuperTuner also

Old 08-04-2011, 04:38 AM
Heavy D
Cruiser

Originally Posted by Port Dawg
Do a search for some posts by mtclassic He has the Thunder Street pipes with the Supertrapp baffle in them and is really happy with the sound. He said he would have just gotten the Supertrapps if he had to do it all over again. I'm leaning this way as well if I I leave the cat on. Maybe add a SE SuperTuner also
What's the part number for the SE SuperTrapps? Are these the ones they call FatShotz?

Old 08-04-2011, 06:27 AM
garand
Road Master
Received 4 Likes on 4 Posts

Keep an eye on the classifieds here. I scored a set of SE Slip-ons for 180.00 shipped. They didn't even look like they had been used much at all.

Old 08-04-2011, 07:06 AM
Cooper08
Advanced

The SE Thunder Street Performance mufflers have an open baffle design that can be used with the cat in the headpipe and still meet the EPA requirements. The other SE mufflers divert the exhaust flow and must exit through holes drilled in the baffle. So if you keep the cat I think the new SE Thunders are the way to go.

Old 08-04-2011, 11:14 AM
Port Dawg
Road Warrior
Received 2 Likes on 2 Posts

http://www.supertrapp.com/product_se...t.asp?CatID=43

Look like they are pretty close to the SE

Old 08-04-2011, 11:24 AM
mkguitar
Extreme HDF Member
Received 398 Likes on 340 Posts

if looking at supertrapp look at "disc system" mufflers which use disc stacks to tune the pipe to the motor ( change cams?- retune the pipe) and also control sound.

The fatshotz are made for S/E by supertrapp and use this system. ( I see them on the classifieds here sometimes- cheap)

I use the supertrapp supermegs on my bagger ( which I scored for $200 years ago), ran them on my 1995 for 10 years then swapped them to the 09 last year---and just retuned the pipes for the 96" and the different powerband.

- I also retune the pipe for in town ( torque) or touring ( horsepower) by changing discs.

Hey Heavy, don't worry bout the heat too much, a short ride North gets us up over 5000', so much cooler. Flagstaff is often 25º cooler than PHX. Nice riding through the Ponderosa pines, rt 66, Grand Canyon etc.
I've been through GF many, many times...blew a head gasket in 1986 on my KZ900 on way to HFX from TO.
Spent a little time outside the autoparts store, making a gasket. did an oil change then off I went--- that gasket is still on that bike!

Was gonna head for HFX this month, but hurt my back at work, so...

Mike

Quick Reply: Screaming Eagle Slip-On