Touring Models Road King, Road King Custom, Road King Classic, Road Glide, Street Glide, Electra Glide, Electra Glide Classic, and Electra Glide Ultra Classic bikes.
Sponsored by:
Sponsored by:

Oil temp gauge in faring

Search this Thread

Old 08-05-2011, 11:24 AM
Weatheredge
Cruiser
Received 0 Likes on 0 Posts

Originally Posted by The Q
Before you cut any wires doing the install, consider moving your Volt guage to the old Air Temp guage opening. IIRC you remove the blue wire from the Air Temp guage wire harnes and hook it to the Volt guage and it works in that ne location. Then you can install the Oil Temp guage above the Oil Pressure guage and have your vitals on one side :-)

Great Idea ~ Like it... Thanks

Old 08-05-2011, 12:41 PM
sargek
Road Warrior
Received 0 Likes on 0 Posts

Originally Posted by qtrracer
Unfortunately that damn gauge is like a target I seem to look at at stop lights and fret over. Also there seems to be some confusion over what temp the damn thing actually reads when the needle is straight up and at 10 o'clock and so forth. I was better off not knowing. I think I'll get the tape out and do to that gauge what we did to the gauges of our street stock road race bikes and cover it up!
Which is exactly why I dismissed the idea of installing one! Stupid maybe, but she's been fine without one so far...

Old 08-05-2011, 01:58 PM
The Q
Road Warrior
Received 58 Likes on 47 Posts

Originally Posted by Weatheredge
Great Idea ~ Like it... Thanks
Actually, I should have said remove the blue wire from the air temp harness, fold it back and cover the bear end with electrical tape. Then plug the now two wire harness into the moved volt guage. Sorry, if my initial post was a little unclear. I really like having my oil vitals on one side where it's easy to monitor.

Old 08-05-2011, 02:53 PM
Nute
Road Master
Received 13 Likes on 12 Posts

The install was easy and the sensor and gauge came all in one package. I installed the H-D gauge. I don't care what all the nay sayers say. I like knowing if my oil is getting too hot. I use the gauge readout as a guideline to let me know if I'm pushing the bike too hard or idling too long in the heat. I'd rather know than guess. There is a problem with the scale on the gauge as it doesn't make much sense. However, once you get used to where the needle is you can tell right away if something is wrong or you are using too much throttle for the conditions you are in.