Touring Models Road King, Road King Custom, Road King Classic, Road Glide, Street Glide, Electra Glide, Electra Glide Classic, and Electra Glide Ultra Classic bikes.
Sponsored by:
Sponsored by:

Rhino Lining

Search this Thread

Old 08-03-2011, 05:03 AM
ZBear
Cruiser
Received 1 Like on 1 Post
Default Rhino Lining

I am preparing to paint my 1994 FLHTC. The inside of the fiberglass bags are somewhat stained and I wanted to paint the inside also. The painter suggested coating them with Rhino Liner or something else rather than paint them. Anybody used this in their bags? Thanks, Bear

Old 08-03-2011, 06:29 AM
cochon
Road Warrior
Received 44 Likes on 33 Posts

I never used it on my bike, but I lined the bed of my Tundra with it. This stuff is good. It is rugged, impervious to water, non slip. I think it is a good idea to line your bags with. Don't get it up too high, like where your covers make the seal, because Rhino Liner is rather thick and it might interfere with the opening and closing of the cover. Also may cause some problem where your bags fasten to the frame.

Old 08-03-2011, 06:45 AM
mrmud4x4
Road Captain
Received 16 Likes on 16 Posts

there is also other materials that are super tuff and have a smoother coat like "Durabak Smooth" and "Monstaliner" - google them.

Durabak probably has the most color options....

advance auto and autozone carry "Herculiner"..it is almost the same as the rough coat Durabak...when dry it is not smooth and it will scratch your skin....like very coarse sandpaper

I did the whole outside of my jeep in Durabak....now the branches come off on my paint and not my paint on the branches....can wheel anywhere...

Old 08-03-2011, 08:10 AM
omgtkk
Road Master
Received 3 Likes on 3 Posts

I did it to my 2001 years ago. It wasn't RhinoLiner, but a different brand. There really isn't any benefit to using it over paint in a non-wear area like that, but if you do it yourself with Herculiner, like MrMud suggested, it should be pretty easy. If you do buy the kit you can also use it to coat the underside of your fenders. It provides some protection from large stones dinging your fender from the underside.

Old 08-03-2011, 08:27 AM
tcfamy
Cruiser
Received 0 Likes on 0 Posts

Check into zolatone paints. It has a kind of spatter look with a moderate, but smooth texture. We use it on small boat interiors and it is very durable. Comes in many colors. --Tom

Old 08-03-2011, 08:30 AM
NDBadlands4-2
Extreme HDF Member
Received 67 Likes on 57 Posts

Good idea, I did my pickup bed years ago. The stuff is indestructible. Be carefull where you put it though, as mentioned earlier the sealing areas need to be clean.

Old 08-03-2011, 08:38 AM
slothy
Road Warrior
Received 2 Likes on 2 Posts

you can add a reducer to make it smoother looking, so its not so rough. we did that on the bottom of my roadster fenders, slightly thicker then paint with a little texture.

Old 08-03-2011, 08:41 AM
IAMSWUTIAMS
Extreme HDF Member
Received 13 Likes on 12 Posts

I think a carpet liner would be better. Keeps loose items from banging around and getting damaged.

Old 08-03-2011, 08:43 AM
IAMSWUTIAMS
Extreme HDF Member
Received 13 Likes on 12 Posts

I think a carpet liner would be better. Keeps loose items from banging around and getting damaged. You can buy a pre-cut kit.

Old 08-03-2011, 09:02 AM
Poochie
Cruiser
Received 0 Likes on 0 Posts

I've never used it on my bike...YET. I've been thing of doing a few trim pieces just to have a different contrast. I've used the Rhino coating on just about everything else, and it's great. The inside of my rag around jeep has been completely sprayed, and all the fender wells, door jams, and bed of my F250 has been sprayed. I've used the "Herculiner" stuff available at AutoZone several times and it works great as well, although it does not come out as thick. I repair lawn mowers for "mod-money", and usually every one I fix I'll use the Herculiner to coat the base and underside to keep them from rusting...comes out nice.

Quick Reply: Rhino Lining