Touring Models Road King, Road King Custom, Road King Classic, Road Glide, Street Glide, Electra Glide, Electra Glide Classic, and Electra Glide Ultra Classic bikes.
Sponsored by:
Sponsored by:

Speed Sensor "the easy Way"

Search this Thread

Old 08-03-2011, 03:08 AM
SHAKEME
Advanced
Received 1 Like on 1 Post
Default Speed Sensor "the easy Way"

edit 08/07/11
Frequent errors detract from clarity within the text or should it be good enough to work with?
I wrote this howto and was hoping to get some help about gramar and syntax to make it a good Howto.

Just let me know where I did wrong.

----------------------------------------------------------------------------------------------------------------
Hi Folks,

got a hole bunch of Tipps and Help from this forum. Therefore i want to
share with you my Instruction "Change the Speed Sensor / the easy Way".
I did it for a german Forum but why not translate it?

This informations are for a FLHRCI/2000 so some parts might be different on
newer Bikes/ other Models.

Sorry for my Ugabuga-English but explaining something in a foreign language can fail, so help me if i've used wrong words and/or terms. Pictures might help. I've added
1) Find the sensor itself
2) Clean the Sensor if neccessary
3) How this Sensor works
4) Find the Deutsch-Connector
4) See Connector and Plug
5) Remove Gasket and Pins
6) Pins assignement
I'm a kind of guy that does it wrong, at the first run - get slightly better, at second run -and knows how it works, at the third run.

The SS consists of a 3-pol Deutsch-Connector on one Side and the Sensorhead itself on the
other Side and it's very interessting how this small pice works.
If the SS failes you'll notice that in one or all of this Problems:
-Speedonedle jumps arraound or doesn't move at all
-Speedo doesn't count your mileage
-Turnsignal doesn't switch off
-on later Tourings you might have an idle Problem

This Problems are caused by the SS.

Find the Sensor in the Transmission, near the Starter above your Oilfillercap. The Deutsch-Connector might by hided, my one was in the hole near the Front Saddlemount .

You can do 3 Things.

1. Get the sensor out there may be metall particles on the magnet. Clean the Sensor and
reinstall. Worked for me for 40 Kilometers.

2. Buy a new Sensor (guess arround $ 50). You'll wonder how they get the SS-Cable underneath
the Starter and how they could route the Cable throug the Frame. Very Easy, if you know how
it works.
The Manual says"remove Minus from Battery." Why? I don't know and I didn't. Tie a cord to
the connector and pull the cable trough the Frame towards the Sensor. Didn't work for me,
because you wount get the Deutsch-Connector arraound the corners in the Frame.
Well the idea with the cord aint bad at all but you'll have tho remove the Connector to do so.

OK. Look at the Connector, turn it so the locable is a the bottom. You'll see three Pins in there and a tiny plug in the middle. The plug shows a little arrow heading for 2 o Clock. Remeber that.
Draw the plug. Now you see that every pin has a little nose towards the center. Move the nose towards the center and you can unlock the pins.
Turn the plug arround, on the backside there is a little silicon gasket. Use something spiky and move the gasket backwards. The Pins will move aout of the connector.
Just use a little force and move the Pins through the gasket and hocus pocus you have a thin cable.
Tie the cord to the cable and Hocus-Pocus no need to reroute. Just get throug underneath the starter, into the frame, cross the frame a height of the Battery.
Now reinstall the Deutsch-Connector. From frontview Top/BLACK, Bottom/left/RED, Bottom/right/WHITE.
Very easy, very clean, might take 20 Minutes. The Rerouting Version might be 5 Minutes faster.

3.Buy a Honda

If this helped you don't forget to help others (at least if they own a Harley!)

Greez from Germany

Oh, by the way got on Monday 123.456 Kilometers on my Speedometer. Cheers!

Last edited by SHAKEME; 08-07-2011 at 03:37 AM. Reason: asking for Support
Old 04-18-2019, 02:31 AM
lourvg
1st Gear
Received 0 Likes on 0 Posts

"The Manual says"remove Minus from Battery." Why? I don't know and I didn't"

This is because you are working with something electrical, that is hooked to a computer.

Unhooking the battery stops any signal that may go to that computer when you pull that plug.

If the manual says do it, most cases it's best to do it.

So this is not good advice to anyone. If you had to ask yourself, "why?" then answered yourself, "I don't know."

wouldn't it be wise to do it, just because your answer could be expensive? Compared to a 10 second "free" battery cable disconnect.