Touring Models Road King, Road King Custom, Road King Classic, Road Glide, Street Glide, Electra Glide, Electra Glide Classic, and Electra Glide Ultra Classic bikes.
Sponsored by:
Sponsored by:

Progressive Suspension Questions

Search this Thread

Old 08-02-2011, 11:24 PM
beaureed445
Outstanding HDF Member
Received 6 Likes on 6 Posts
Default Progressive Suspension Questions

Hey guys, I'm about to leave the Softail family, and join you here in the Touring family. I'm selling my '07 FXST, and moving to an '05 Road King. One of my first mods will be lowering the bike about an inch front and rear. I've been looking at the Progressive "drop-in" kit for the front, as well as the mono tube kit. Can anyone give me insight into these kits? Has anyone done comparisons? Are there major differences, other than price?

Also, for lowering the rear, which direction is solid? I've seen the lowering kits that sell for about $75 and utilize your stock shocks.....are they worth a damn? Or should I suck it up and install Progressive shocks in the rear also? Which series is a good investment? Any advice that you care to share with a Touring newby would be much appreciated!

Old 08-03-2011, 01:48 AM
kingkingking
Road Warrior
Received 2 Likes on 2 Posts

Mono tube is good value for money and an easy install.

I am running Ohlins on the back. Premium price, premium performance....

If I was you I wouldnt lower it.

Old 08-03-2011, 06:15 AM
beaureed445
Outstanding HDF Member

I'm 5'8" and have a 30" inseam. That's the only reason I'm dropping it.....It's for "safety" reasons- I want a more stable stance (flat-footed).

Old 08-03-2011, 06:41 AM
Beak
Road Master
Received 285 Likes on 132 Posts

I have a 10 SEUC, and lowered it front and rear with Progressive's used 940's on the rear. They are easy bolt on replacement. Takes a little adjusting to get the ride you like. Also put the Monotubes on the front. A little more complicated, but not terrible. Instructions in the kit are pretty clear, lower the front 1 inch also The front seems a little too firm. In the kit their are C clips to adust the sag, I used three as suggested, would like to change it too two and see how the front feels.
The ride in a word "firm" not harsh, its not bone jarring, but not that soft floating sensation you get with the stock harley suspension. No front end dive under braking, and you do feel more of the road. Bike handles the same or better, but I dont really push it into turns to try the limits.
1 inch doesnt seem like that much but it made a big difference between being flat footed and having a little extra room when you get on those uneven surfaces and you are trying to get you feet down and balance. I am 5'10 and 30 inch inseam also.
You will find that if you lower the front and rear, your bike will be sitting more upright on the jiffy stand and can tip if you have the handle bars turned to the left while on the stand. You will need to cut weld, bend, or somehow adust you jiffy stand to compensate for the 1 inch lower, or be very careful when you park it especially on uneven surfaces.
Good luck.

Last edited by Beak; 08-03-2011 at 06:45 AM.
Old 08-03-2011, 07:00 AM
beaureed445
Outstanding HDF Member

Originally Posted by Beak
I have a 10 SEUC, and lowered it front and rear with Progressive's used 940's on the rear. They are easy bolt on replacement. Takes a little adjusting to get the ride you like. Also put the Monotubes on the front. A little more complicated, but not terrible. Instructions in the kit are pretty clear, lower the front 1 inch also The front seems a little too firm. In the kit their are C clips to adust the sag, I used three as suggested, would like to change it too two and see how the front feels.
The ride in a word "firm" not harsh, its not bone jarring, but not that soft floating sensation you get with the stock harley suspension. No front end dive under braking, and you do feel more of the road. Bike handles the same or better, but I don't really push it into turns to try the limits.
1 inch doesn't seem like that much but it made a big difference between being flat footed and having a little extra room when you get on those uneven surfaces and you are trying to get you feet down and balance. I am 5'10 and 30 inch inseam also.
You will find that if you lower the front and rear, your bike will be sitting more upright on the jiffy stand and can tip if you have the handle bars turned to the left while on the stand. You will need to cut weld, bend, or somehow adjust you jiffy stand to compensate for the 1 inch lower, or be very careful when you park it especially on uneven surfaces.
Good luck.

Beak, thanks for the feedback.....that's exactly the kind of description I was looking for. You comment that I bolded is what I was trying to convey in my last response.

Old 08-03-2011, 07:53 AM
grbrown
Club Member
Received 2,866 Likes on 2,429 Posts
Exclamation

Originally Posted by beaureed445
I'm 5'8" and have a 30" inseam. That's the only reason I'm dropping it.....It's for "safety" reasons- I want a more stable stance (flat-footed).
You do not need to flat foot, believe me! This is a very modern thing and has no good foundations. You are a little taller than me and I have been riding for over 40 years without flat-footing. It ain't necessary. Buy your bike and put the cost of new suspension in the gas tank - in other words ride it a lot. Once you are familiar with it you will not need to think about this again! Have a great time......

Old 08-03-2011, 09:11 AM
harleycharlie1992
Unofficial HDF Chaplain
Received 15,900 Likes on 4,970 Posts

a big plus with the mono tube fts is you no longer have to service the fork oil saves time and money down the road, plus there is no "brake dive" with them, have them on my road glide, love them! I put the 940's in the rear, bike rides real nice

Old 08-03-2011, 10:08 AM
tj316
Stellar HDF Member
Received 480 Likes on 126 Posts

On my last bike I put the lowered monotubes with 3 c clips on , it was to harsh for me , took them back apart and removed 1 c clip and it was perfect

Last edited by tj316; 08-03-2011 at 10:10 AM.