Touring Models Road King, Road King Custom, Road King Classic, Road Glide, Street Glide, Electra Glide, Electra Glide Classic, and Electra Glide Ultra Classic bikes.
Sponsored by:
Sponsored by:

Decel Pop - another one

Search this Thread

Old 08-03-2011 | 06:42 PM
Sledge Hammer
|
Cruiser

It will be the weekend before I can get to it, but now I have some more things to check out. This is frustrating.

Old 08-03-2011 | 07:09 PM
upstate tim
Road Captain

Have the Rush slip-ons. Had the pop. Changed PC setting as you did. Still had some, although less pop. I replaced the packing and the popping stopped altogether. Packing lasts for a season.

Old 08-03-2011 | 07:14 PM
Uncle Larry
Seasoned HDF Member
Veteran: Army

Originally Posted by Sledge Hammer
Yea I know, this has been kicked around a bunch on this forum, but this issue is really kicking my butt. I bought an '04 Ultra a couple of months ago with what appear to be Rush slip ons. I am not sure that is what they are, but they look similar. They are 3.5". It had the decel pop so I bought a PCIII from Fuel Moto and a stage 1 air cleaner. Fuel Moto pre-programmed the tuner. After install I still had the pop. Called Fuel Moto and the had me increase the setting from 1,750 RPMs up. Started at 5 and kept going up from there. Saw minimal improvement but still had it. Fuel Moto said they had seen a few that required going to the max which they said was 50. I kept going up in increments till I got up to 50. It was still there. I started looking for exhaust leaks. Tighten the flange bolts and discovered both mufflers leaking at the joint. I have taken them off and used some muffler sealer on each joint. Put a lot on and cranked down the clamps. It is better but still there. I called Fuel Moto figuring I would take it there for a dyno tune, but they can't do it till late August. Anyone have any thoughts where I go from here?
This is gonna sound like a fish story ... but ... in the shop we use to chase leaks that were hard to find by letting the scooter get cold ... get some ATF ( trans fluid ) in a small squirt can ( a little bit will go a long way ) ... take the air cleaner off ... have a helper nearby so he can partially block the outlets of the mufflers after you start it ... fire up the bike and keep the rpm's up .... squirt a shot of ATF in the intake ( be careful not stall it, the ATF will not hurt the engine but if you stall it you'll have to pull the plugs and clean them ) while your buddy causes a restriction at the outlet and let her smoke. Doing it cold will help make the leak ( if there is one ) more obvious because as the engine and components warm up they tend to expand and will make it harded to find the leak. This is "OLD SCHOOL" but it works. Hope this helps.

Old 08-03-2011 | 10:32 PM
V2Evo96
Road Warrior

Hey Unk-- nothing wrong with "Old School"-- I'll keep that one for the future if ever needed.

Old 08-04-2011 | 12:31 PM
Navyrep1
Cruiser

I'm a huge believer in ol' skul....but not sure, given the corrosive properties of ATF, that it would be very friendly to the intake sensors on an EFI bike. All that smoke might goon-up the O2 sensors too, if the bike is so equiped. My humble opinion, might save that trick for older bikes.

Old 08-04-2011 | 12:42 PM
iclick
Extreme HDF Member

Originally Posted by Navyrep1
I'm a huge believer in ol' skul....but not sure, given the corrosive properties of ATF, that it would be very friendly to the intake sensors on an EFI bike. All that smoke might goon-up the O2 sensors too, if the bike is so equiped. My humble opinion, might save that trick for older bikes.
This would concern me too, especially the O2 sensors.

Old 08-04-2011 | 09:01 PM
bigdumbnoitall00
Seasoned HDF Member

IF no cracks are found look into the baffle size and packing older rush slip ons are known for blowing out all the packind coupled with large baffles maybe just noy enough backpresure,but my money is a leak as well.