Touring Models Road King, Road King Custom, Road King Classic, Road Glide, Street Glide, Electra Glide, Electra Glide Classic, and Electra Glide Ultra Classic bikes.
Sponsored by:
Sponsored by:

Sirius XM raising rates

Search this Thread

Old 08-02-2011, 05:04 PM
mkguitar
Extreme HDF Member
Received 398 Likes on 340 Posts
Default Sirius XM raising rates

I was an early adopter of XM, saw it grow, merge and get crappy.

Programming shrunk, and audio quality suffered due to lower bandwidth on many channels.

The FCC had not allowed rate increases as part of the merger agreement, which they withdrew ( or expired) last Thursday.

today Sirius XM announced they will be raising fees, and they acknowledge that the do expect to loose subscribers ( funny what they admit in the business pages)

Keep the rising rates and declines is service in mind if you are looking at adding satellite to your Harley.

I strongly doubt that I'll be interested in renewing my 3 receivers, we use them less and less.

Kinda nice getting local traffic, weather and news on the radio.

Mike

Old 08-02-2011, 05:12 PM
Redbeard719
Grand HDF Member

Received 1,226 Likes on 550 Posts

I didn't renew them in my truck after this last subscription expired. Lately, I've been streaming Pandora. I might even spring for the $36 sub fee on that, to get more options.

You're right though, the programming has gone to crap, and the quality isn't that great. Glad to know they're raising their rates for the service too...I honestly do see myself paying it again.

Old 08-02-2011, 05:12 PM
hog95023
Elite HDF Member
Received 161 Likes on 106 Posts

I used to have 5 radios now im down to 2 both on motorcycles. I like xm and willl see how much they increase. I wont pay 20 or more a month for service though specially with all the ads they have now

Old 08-02-2011, 05:20 PM
bberck
Elite HDF Member
Received 9 Likes on 8 Posts

I had XM almost since it started up until 2007 then I switched to Sirius. Went back to XM in 09 when I bought my Yukon.

I agree the programming has went down hill. Canceled shows I liked and adding more and more talk to the music channels.

I wont pay to much more before canceling.

Old 08-02-2011, 05:40 PM
pargenz
Outstanding HDF Member
Received 4 Likes on 4 Posts

I'm glad I just paid for a year on my Sirius on the scoot...

CEO Karmazin said that they don't plan to raise rates until March 11, 2012. I've heard that the annual rate will increase around $2 per subscriber (they have about 21 million subscribers).
Sirius XM Radio Inc. (SIRI) fell 1.9% to $2.07 with 123,900,200 shares traded today.
Earnings are about a penny per share, and analysts expect EPS to be around 5 cents for the year.

I've had Sirius in the truck for a long time and really enjoy it on the scooter... hardly ever change it from channel 23.

Last edited by pargenz; 08-02-2011 at 05:44 PM.
Old 08-02-2011, 05:41 PM
RollaMo
Grand HDF Member
Received 513 Likes on 316 Posts

I've had Sirius in my 2 of my vehicles since 2003. Bought wife an Equinox last year and since it has XM built in, I added another subscription for that one.

My truck is only driven around town here, and then rarely. So, I am wasting $ for that subscription.
My Corvette is only driven occasionally, so another waste.

I bought a new iPod Touch back in Jan, so I have all the music I need right there.

When my subscriptions are up, I won't renew 2 of them.
I'll keep the XM for wife's car though.

Old 08-02-2011, 05:47 PM
Dragonmaw
Advanced
Received 0 Likes on 0 Posts

Originally Posted by fish eye
I didn't renew them in my truck after this last subscription expired. Lately, I've been streaming Pandora. I might even spring for the $36 sub fee on that, to get more options.

You're right though, the programming has gone to crap, and the quality isn't that great. Glad to know they're raising their rates for the service too...I honestly do see myself paying it again.
You stream Pandora on your scoot? I was actually considering doing that through my iPhone -- I have unlimited 3g data and don't turn it off when I am at work. I was wondering how traveling would work with it.

(My Street Glide comes in this Friday, so I am planning out my tunes options now.)

Old 08-02-2011, 06:01 PM
IAMSWUTIAMS
Extreme HDF Member
Received 13 Likes on 12 Posts

Pandora here too. Can't beat the price.I dropped satellite couple years ago. I wonder how Howard is doing.

Old 08-02-2011, 06:04 PM
hojones
Ultimate HDF Member
Received 15 Likes on 9 Posts

I renewed my 2 radios last week for $77.00 each for one year. If you threaten to leave they will deal with you.

Old 08-02-2011, 06:05 PM
VTGlideRider
Road Master
Received 1 Like on 1 Post

When I bought my F-150 last year it came with a 6 month subscription to Sirius. I let it expire and they kept sending me emails to renew at a reduced rate. The final offer they sent me was to renew for a year at 50% off so I took it and got a year of service for around $70. I figured $6 a month was ok.

We'll see what the new rates bring next year when it expires again. At least now I know not to take the first deal they offer. If its cheap enough fine, but I won't spend a lot of money to get it.

Quick Reply: Sirius XM raising rates