Touring Models Road King, Road King Custom, Road King Classic, Road Glide, Street Glide, Electra Glide, Electra Glide Classic, and Electra Glide Ultra Classic bikes.
Sponsored by:
Sponsored by:

Road King or Street Glide

Search this Thread

Old 08-02-2011, 01:25 PM
dave4ace
Novice
Received 0 Likes on 0 Posts
Default Road King or Street Glide

Hi all,
I am looking at moving up to HD as my current ride is just not big enough for the Wife and I to take a trip. Current bike is an 03 750 ACE. i am starting my research here as I have found that Forum members usually give their honest opinion vs what you read in Mags that I feel are basically paid to give theirs.

I am looking at the Rk as I still want the "classic" look of a bike. the wife on the other hand says Street Glide... Just because she thinks it's "Sexy". (women!)

Anyway, I would like to hear the Positives and the Negatives of each model from you guys and what years should I stay away from. what Sub model on the RK would you choose if I were to go that route. would it be worth looking at CVO's etc.

I am sure your responses will bring more questions from me as we go.

Thanks in advance.

Dave

Old 08-02-2011, 01:31 PM
rg_dave
Outstanding HDF Member
Received 19 Likes on 13 Posts

SG is sexier by far but the King is classic.

I had a windshield bike prior to this one and I never took it off. If you think you'll want to take the shield off get the king. The king will ride better. Longer shocks in the rear and a different damping system in the front forks. Other than that their the same except for the stuff in the fairing. If you really want a faring later you can add a detachable to the king.

All that said I would not have an RK instead of my SG. My next bike will be a roadglide. You may want to test drive one of them.

The following users liked this post:
Medevack1 (10-27-2022)
Old 08-02-2011, 01:33 PM
mrmud4x4
Road Captain
Received 16 Likes on 16 Posts

Once you ride the King......you'll let the Glide slide.....

Medevack1 (10-27-2022)
Old 08-02-2011, 01:41 PM
thenewrage
Road Captain
Received 1 Like on 1 Post

I ride a street glide. Before I purchased it, I had my mind set on a road king. If a dealer wouldn't have refused my offer on one, id be riding one. Time passed by and I changed my mind and ended up with a street glide. I couldn't be happier. I love having tunes and the look of it is sweet.

Steelie68 (10-27-2022)
Old 08-02-2011, 01:44 PM
MADHOG
Road Master

Since you mentioned the SG and taking a trip two up you may want to consider the Electra Glide line. If you want a nice “trip” bike it’s hard to beat the EG line.
The nice thing is you can always remove the lowers and tour pak from the EG for around town cruising and you’ll have a bike that is a essentially a SG anyway…
My 2 cents.

Old 08-02-2011, 01:44 PM
whiskyls1
Tourer

Road King is like sitting on a Lazy-Boy. Nice and comfy.

Street Glide is more like a comfortable glider rocker. While comfortable, its a little more sleek.

I would first look at model years '09 and up as there were lots of changes made at that point.

Both bikes are great...I'd ride either!

Old 08-02-2011, 02:10 PM
Poochie
Cruiser

definitely '09 and up with the frame changes made, although the one thing I hate on mine is the 5th gear whine. (I always know when I'm in 5th and so does the others around me) I went with a RKC simply because I love the looks of the bike and the ride is incredible. The radio and other fairing mounted gizmo's didn't interest me because when I get on the bike I want to hear the bike and leave everything else behind.

Old 08-02-2011, 02:17 PM
jeffreydsilver
Ultimate HDF Member
Received 165 Likes on 114 Posts
Default Reality Check!

If I left it up to the wife I'd be riding around on a Ultra Classic CVO! All I heard about from day 1 was "wow, look at that rear seat w/backrest". When I bought my RK, I had the intention of adding the Tour-Pak w/backrest as I did. I am extremely happy with the classic looks of the King as well as the "plush" ride that it gives. Now that the queen has her throne, she is a happy camper also. We are on our 3rd seat now (Sundowner) and that with the wrap around backrest and grabrails has given her what she wanted.
This whole bike thing started out as a Sportster for my daily commute and has gravitated into night/weekend wrenching of mods, weekend rides, Tuesday night bike nite for dinner, etc.
THE THINGS THAT WE DO FOR LOVE!

Old 08-02-2011, 02:29 PM
harley0711
Seasoned HDF Member
Received 95 Likes on 81 Posts

both have the very same frame - so, it depends on what blows your skirt up and from the sound of your post - your Wife's like is the SG.... and depends on your relationship - keep her happy and YOU stay happy...

Old 08-02-2011, 02:36 PM
MrHog
Road Captain

If I had to do it over again, I would go with the Streetglide with a detachable tour pack like my Road king has. I wouldn't mind having a bat wing fairing with all the gauges and a radio/cd player. I am tired of using my ipod plugged into handlebar mounted speakers. Plus, since I went with the classic, I do not have painted bags. I like the look of the RKC, but also want the fairing with painted bags. May have to try and have both one day.

Quick Reply: Road King or Street Glide