Touring Models Road King, Road King Custom, Road King Classic, Road Glide, Street Glide, Electra Glide, Electra Glide Classic, and Electra Glide Ultra Classic bikes.
Sponsored by:
Sponsored by:

Road King or Street Glide

Search this Thread

Old 08-03-2011, 08:27 AM
PWFD
Road Master
Received 1 Like on 1 Post

Traded my RoadKing in for a StreetGlide and am very happy with my decision. As many have said both a great bikes. Just comes down to the looks and options you want on your bike.

Ride safe.

T

The following users liked this post:
Steelie68 (10-23-2022)
Old 08-04-2011, 09:55 AM
dave4ace
Novice
Received 0 Likes on 0 Posts

Allright, Now I have some more questions like I thought I would. I am pretty much set on the RK now, as I like the looks and the versatility aspect. Now for the ?'s
1. What Years would you consider? I have been looking at 2000' up to about 2005 Models.
2. Would you go with FI or carbed?
3. What are the main differences between the Classic and Standard. Would you consider the police model? (personally I like the hard bags on the standard)
4. Are their any models in the years that I am looking at to stay away from?(issues wise)

Old 08-04-2011, 10:44 AM
Big_Al47
Ultimate HDF Member
Veteran: Army
Received 93 Likes on 40 Posts

Originally Posted by dave4ace
Allright, Now I have some more questions like I thought I would. I am pretty much set on the RK now, as I like the looks and the versatility aspect. Now for the ?'s
1. What Years would you consider? I have been looking at 2000' up to about 2005 Models.
2. Would you go with FI or carbed?
3. What are the main differences between the Classic and Standard. Would you consider the police model? (personally I like the hard bags on the standard)
4. Are their any models in the years that I am looking at to stay away from?(issues wise)
Good choice The Street Glides are really cool, but for me personally, at this time, I don't want/need a full fairing or a radio. The Road Kings look very cool with and without a windshield. I ride my RKC with no windshield 99% of the time anyway. I enjoy the noise of the wind and my exhaust. I can always buy a Hoppe, Dragonfly, etc. batwing later on and fit it to my bike if I want wind protection/tunes.

As for your questions....

1. I've heard the 2002 models are the best, but my 2004 has been very reliable and trouble free so far. I'm a believer in the "take care of your bike, it will take care of you" motto.

2. I like the convenience of FI, but some like the carb too, your choice.

3. Classic has the spoke wheels and leather bags. Standard has the cast wheels and hard bags. Yes, I would certainly consider the Police model as you get a couple of built in upgrades basically for no charge (oil cooler, ABS, etc)

4. Not really sure, I know others here can point you in the right direction. For all models, obviously check the cam tensioners. It's always a good idea to try and get the service history of whatever bike you are thinking of buying.

Good luck!!

Old 10-23-2022, 10:16 AM
vizcarmb
Stellar HDF Member
Received 553 Likes on 381 Posts

Sat on a SG ST yesterday and was surprised that I was able to see over the windscreen. I’m 5’4” btw and it had the hard as a plank solo seat which I have. I really like the seating position of the bike and how close the controls are. Looks like it would cover the wind more.

I currently own a RK and did all the mods to make it comfy. Heated grips taller hammock seat. I would have been curious to see if having the taller hammock seat would make it even better since it sits taller.

The bar position does seem to be a lot closer than the RK. I could care less about the infotainment but it’s nice.

Now I need to do a test ride

Old 10-23-2022, 10:22 AM
Rounders
Seasoned HDF Member
Received 2,328 Likes on 1,842 Posts

Old thread, but I would say neither. Get something with a fairing and a trunk, and ride more. Though I can see people in hot areas not wanting a fairing.

Old 10-23-2022, 10:28 AM
harley0711
Seasoned HDF Member
Received 95 Likes on 81 Posts

Originally Posted by vizcarmb
Sat on a SG ST yesterday and was surprised that I was able to see over the windscreen. I’m 5’4” btw and it had the hard as a plank solo seat which I have. I really like the seating position of the bike and how close the controls are. Looks like it would cover the wind more.

I currently own a RK and did all the mods to make it comfy. Heated grips taller hammock seat. I would have been curious to see if having the taller hammock seat would make it even better since it sits taller.

The bar position does seem to be a lot closer than the RK. I could care less about the infotainment but it’s nice.

Now I need to do a test ride
this thread is Over 10 years old

Wind Screen - meant to look Cooll NOT act as a windshield

Old 10-23-2022, 10:58 AM
vizcarmb
Stellar HDF Member
Received 553 Likes on 381 Posts

Originally Posted by harley0711
this thread is Over 10 years old

Wind Screen - meant to look Cooll NOT act as a windshield

Better to revive an old thread than a new one. People say use the search function. Saw something relevant and kept it going. I know the new engines make it a better bike so I wonder if upgrading to the new motor is worth the cost of admission

My main concern is buffeting. My RK made it unbearable to ride until I put the fangs on. My concern is will the SG be the same.

more than likely I would strip all the parts I put on my bike and transfer it

Last edited by vizcarmb; 10-23-2022 at 11:02 AM.
The following users liked this post:
Steelie68 (10-23-2022)
Old 10-23-2022, 11:05 AM
Rounders
Seasoned HDF Member

Originally Posted by vizcarmb
Better to revive an old thread than a new one. People say use the search function. Saw something relevant and kept it going. I know the new engines make it a better bike so I wonder if upgrading to the new motor is worth the cost of admission

My main concern is buffeting. My RK made it unbearable to ride until I put the fangs on. My concern is will the SG be the same.

more than likely I would strip all the parts I put on my bike and transfer it
I agree, if there is a thread that covers something in detail, why start a new one.

Old 10-23-2022, 11:31 AM
Fireball Jack
Stellar HDF Member
Received 842 Likes on 579 Posts

Except the bikes are completely different now. TC vs M8 new rushmore upgrades and new Fairings. Start a new thread and include the RG , I have had all three and the RG is the better touring platform IMHO.

Old 10-23-2022, 11:35 AM
Rounders
Seasoned HDF Member

Originally Posted by Fireball Jack
Except the bikes are completely different now. TC vs M8 new rushmore upgrades and new Fairings. Start a new thread and include the RG , I have had all three and the RG is the better touring platform IMHO.
When it comes to which bike for me, it is not like their is a lot of technical issues covered.

But I am not sure the topic is that much different TC to M8. Do you want a fairing or not? I think we could have the same thread talking about FLHSs and FLHs

Quick Reply: Road King or Street Glide