Notices
Touring Models Road King, Road King Custom, Road King Classic, Road Glide, Street Glide, Electra Glide, Electra Glide Classic, and Electra Glide Ultra Classic bikes.
Sponsored by:
Sponsored by:

New Ultra owner

Search this Thread

Old 11-12-2006, 02:32 AM
grooveman
Road Captain
Received 0 Likes on 0 Posts
Default New Ultra owner

HI, I'm new to this board.. I have been dreaming about a Harley for a long time and now the dream is a reality.. I picked up a 2007 Ultra Classic yesterday. Buying a bike this time of year in northern Montana means mostly looking at it and not much riding for the next few months. My question is this. Although I spent a lot of time on smaller motorcycles in my younger days, I have not ridden in over 20 years. I'm scared to death of putting a scratch on this thing but I know I need to ride it around a bit to get the feel for how it handles. There are no riders courses up here right now so the best I can do is practice a bit maybe in empty parking lots or back roads. Any suggestions on starting out on the bigger bikes like this?
Thanks much

Old 11-12-2006, 03:04 AM
Sol
Tourer
Received 2 Likes on 1 Post
Default RE: New Ultra owner

Welcome grooveman!
A DVD copy of "Ride Like a Pro" should be on your viewing list.
I too had a 20 year layoff from riding before getting my RK. At first, I spent some time sitting on it in the garage to get acustomed to the position of the controls and a feel for the bulk of a touring bike (saying "vroom, vroom" while seated is optional). Keep in mind that the mass of a touring bike can really assert itself at a stop or at slow-speeds, so be careful practicing in parking lots (almost everyone here has or will set their ride down at a stop or slow-speeds). Don't worry though, your UC will seem to shed hundreds of pounds and handle great at normal road speeds.

Old 11-12-2006, 08:18 AM
jkoch09ultra
Road Master
Received 1 Like on 1 Post

Just practice starts, stops and slow turns. Just have to ride it to get the feel of it. Watch out for sand or gravel and if a parking place has a slop to it - back her in. UC is very hard to roll up hill.

Very agile bike at slow speeds. You will get used to it real fast.

Old 11-12-2006, 08:28 AM
Qball
Ultimate HDF Member
Received 1 Like on 1 Post

Welcome from Rhode Island.
Just gotta get used to the weight and size (sounds like what I tell the women) then you'll love the ride.

Old 11-12-2006, 10:03 AM
christian0632
Tourer

The more you ride the more experience you gain. Start slow and cautious and you'll develope a feel for your new bike. It doesn't matter whether you've been off for 20 years. Every time I traded for a new model, it took me about a thousand miles to "get in the groove" with the new one.

CS

Old 11-12-2006, 11:15 AM
Dannl
Cruiser

Welcome Grooveman,
I am a long time softail rider and have only been riding an Ultra for about a year now. I think that on the tight mountain roads as well as the freeway, the ultra way out performs the softail. I just cant emagine riding anything else. The place that an Ultra will embarrass you is tyring to jocky it around in parking places, especialy on uneven ground. The bike is very top heavy( especialy riding two up) and if you get it off balance you are going to go down. When you get in a awkward parking predicament take your time and maintain your balance. There is nothing more embarracing than tipping your bike over in front of all your buddies.

[IMG]local://upfiles/3544/4893CEE0D17F4F8D8702DF0C8598F8CD.gif[/IMG]

Old 11-12-2006, 12:51 PM
wnogood
Banned
Received 2 Likes on 2 Posts

[sm=ttiwwp.gif]

Ok, looking at it, and taking pictures of it, and posting them here for us to see!

Congrats!

nogood o~`o

Old 11-12-2006, 01:02 PM
Cache
Tourer

[color=#3300CC]I thought they just had corn fields and dirt roads in the Big Sky?

The first scratch should be yours...then forget about it.

Practice, practice, pratice....don't be scared. If you get scared while out, put it away and come back another day.

Take a safety class if possible.......they're not just for beginners. Anyone can ride, but do they have skills?

Skills separate the average rider from a experienced rider.

Be safe and enjoy & welcome.

[sm=bounceybounce.gif]

Old 11-12-2006, 02:06 PM
Panhead_1_9_4_8
Elite HDF Member
Received 2 Likes on 2 Posts

You're heading down the right path ... practice. I went from a Roadking to an Ultra's about 7 years ago, and it's great! I knew as soon as I got on it it would be different, so I did like you and practiced ... especially the low speed stuff, and with added weight or a passenger. Having the batwing is different around trucks etc. ... so you want to get used to how that feels too. Congratulations and good luck! Enjoy!

Old 11-12-2006, 02:07 PM
grooveman
Road Captain

Thanks for the suggestions. The bike will be delivered tuesday and I will get some pics posted in here. Its been a long time coming and I am excited to get in the saddle again. Too bad I wont be able to do much riding over the next 4 or 5 months but you can bet Ill be putting some miles on her this spring and summer.
Yes Cache there are plenty of dirt roads but no corn fields. They grow barley and wheat up here. I live close by where the mountains meet the prarie. Lots of beautiful places to ride. Hope to see some of you up this way someday. Thanks again, Russ

Quick Reply: New Ultra owner