Touring Models Road King, Road King Custom, Road King Classic, Road Glide, Street Glide, Electra Glide, Electra Glide Classic, and Electra Glide Ultra Classic bikes.
Sponsored by:
Sponsored by:

going ohlins

Search this Thread

Old 08-24-2011, 04:10 PM
papifun
Outstanding HDF Member
Received 2 Likes on 2 Posts

Hob - how does one choose which Ohlins to get for a 2011 SG.. Im confushed... 6's,3's 2's.... their web site not much help.... how are the Ohlins 2's adjusted for confort ?
i want to keep the stock rear height on my SG.. any suggestions ?

Old 08-25-2011, 07:24 AM
grbrown
Club Member
Received 2,867 Likes on 2,429 Posts

Originally Posted by papifun
Hob - how does one choose which Ohlins to get for a 2011 SG.. Im confushed... 6's,3's 2's.... their web site not much help.... how are the Ohlins 2's adjusted for confort ?
i want to keep the stock rear height on my SG.. any suggestions ?
Allow me! #2 are 'emulsified', in other words the gas and oil inside the damper are mixed, no damping adjustment. #3 are 'separated', in other words the gas and oil are kept separate, these have damping adjustment and better spring pre-load adjustment. #6 as the price suggests are top dollar, with remote reservoir, separate gas/oil, fully adjustable damping, the dog's wotnots. Quality of ride and damping control improves in that order.

If you are interested in buying a set give Howard a call and he will explain far better what the relative merits of each are. Get a long drink before you dial!

Old 08-25-2011, 09:29 AM
papifun
Outstanding HDF Member

Originally Posted by grbrown
Allow me! #2 are 'emulsified', in other words the gas and oil inside the damper are mixed, no damping adjustment. #3 are 'separated', in other words the gas and oil are kept separate, these have damping adjustment and better spring pre-load adjustment. #6 as the price suggests are top dollar, with remote reservoir, separate gas/oil, fully adjustable damping, the dog's wotnots. Quality of ride and damping control improves in that order.

If you are interested in buying a set give Howard a call and he will explain far better what the relative merits of each are. Get a long drink before you dial!
grb...what do you suggest..i dont want the hassle of the external resovoir..i think #3 is option for me since i want to be able to adjust from solo to 2up...is this necessary to do with the ohlins ? i will keep doing my research.. wondering how ohlins ride compare to progressive... i dont know anyone with either and trusting forum for my decision..ride safe.

Old 08-25-2011, 09:43 AM
'05Train
Ultimate HDF Member
Received 883 Likes on 439 Posts

grb...what do you suggest..i dont want the hassle of the external resovoir..i think #3 is option for me since i want to be able to adjust from solo to 2up...is this necessary to do with the ohlins ? i will keep doing my research.. wondering how ohlins ride compare to progressive... i dont know anyone with either and trusting forum for my decision..ride safe.
#3 adjusts damping and preload, #2 is just preload. 2-up and loaded, I can make the bike glide over destroyed roads like the Virginia side of the DC Beltway. I can then firm it up to carve corners when I get to where I'm going.

Old 08-25-2011, 10:08 AM
papifun
Outstanding HDF Member

any photos of the 3's installed on a SG ?

Old 08-25-2011, 10:10 AM
grbrown
Club Member
Received 2,867 Likes on 2,429 Posts
Wink

My needs were the same as yours, stock length, also I do quite a bit of 2-up riding (often complete with kitchen sink!) and I chose #3-3, after talking the options through with Howard. The #6s are beyond my budget frankly. The #3 are much better than my previous shocks solo, but far superior when 2-up.

Just read back through earlier posts, where the #2 gets plenty of mention. One version has a lot of travel, which is very attractive, but in my conversation with Howard, to get good extended ride comfort when fully loaded he reckoned the #3 was more suitable. But that is the benefit of talking to him as the options available and our personal requirements can be talked through in detail.

Last edited by grbrown; 08-25-2011 at 10:28 AM. Reason: Added para.
Old 08-25-2011, 11:05 AM
aggro_jo
Road Master
Received 6 Likes on 4 Posts

If I can offer an easy way to measure sag (one person job)-
Put a ziptie around the shock shaft near the shock body and then sit on the bike (dont bounce!). The shock body will push the zip tie down the shaft. Then unweight the bike and measure from the shock body to the zip tie. There's your sag measurement.

Old 08-25-2011, 04:35 PM
62hdbiker
Tourer
Received 37 Likes on 33 Posts

About how much difference is there in preload and dampening adjustment required for changing from solo to two up loaded with kitchen sink? I know everybody is different- before thats pointed out to me.

Old 08-25-2011, 04:49 PM
'05Train
Ultimate HDF Member
Received 883 Likes on 439 Posts

Originally Posted by 62hdbiker
About how much difference is there in preload and dampening adjustment required for changing from solo to two up loaded with kitchen sink? I know everybody is different- before thats pointed out to me.
11 turns of the adjuster on my #3-4s, and my wife is not a large woman.

Old 08-25-2011, 05:06 PM
62hdbiker
Tourer
Received 37 Likes on 33 Posts

Originally Posted by '05Train
11 turns of the adjuster on my #3-4s, and my wife is not a large woman.
Thats 11 revolutions of pre load or 11 of the holes that you put adjuster in? How about dampening
Thanks.

Quick Reply: going ohlins