Touring Models Road King, Road King Custom, Road King Classic, Road Glide, Street Glide, Electra Glide, Electra Glide Classic, and Electra Glide Ultra Classic bikes.
Sponsored by:
Sponsored by:

going ohlins

Search this Thread

Old 08-02-2011, 09:14 AM
'05Train
Ultimate HDF Member
Received 883 Likes on 439 Posts

The key thing with any shock is the set up. Take your time and set your sag properly, and you'll be amazed at how well they perform. I've got the #3-4s on my bike and couldn't be any happier.

Old 08-02-2011, 01:07 PM
Hoblick
Road Captain
Received 0 Likes on 0 Posts

yeah i will definately take the time to set them up.
just gotta read up on how to set them up lol

Old 08-02-2011, 01:23 PM
07RoadHawg
Road Warrior
Received 4 Likes on 3 Posts

My #3-3's are still breaking in too, but I can tell a night and day difference vs stock. I never experienced the "bagger wobble", but the bike feels way more stable in the corners now. Like boogaloo said, now what about that front end...

Oh, if you call Howard when you are ready to install, he will make sure you know how to set them up (and that you know your left from your right...)

Old 08-07-2011, 04:50 PM
Indy Road Dog
Cruiser
Received 13 Likes on 10 Posts

Originally Posted by boogaloodude
I"ve got the 3-1s on my bike. Much, much better ride than the stock shocks. The biggest problem with them is how bad the front feels now.
Man, that is so true about the front. That's right on the money. Now I'm looking to get the front done very soon. Can't stand the difference now. The Ohlin's put the Glide in the Road Glide. They are worth it. My wife is much happier riding with me now.

Old 08-07-2011, 08:09 PM
Lowcountry Joe
Elite HDF Member
Received 66 Likes on 46 Posts

I have the #6 Ohlins and couldn't be happier. But do take your time setting them up. Measure the static sag (bike on the jack with wheels off the ground and measure from the center of top mounting bolt to center of bottom mounting bolt) and then the rider mounted sag (same measurement but with the rider mounted and the wheels on the ground...wife will have to help with this one). I used a dot of liquid paper as a reference point so I would be able to adjust each shock pre-load exactly the same. Just put a drop on the knurled adjustment ring and another drop just above the threads on the shock body...in line with the dot below on the knurled adjustment ring. For my #6 shocks, that difference needed to be adjusted to 31 mm. Once I did this, the ride came alive. Then I made some fine adjustments to the compression and rebound settings. Be sure and write down everything you do. You will be surprised how soon it will all start running together if you don't write it down. I just made a Word document and added to it as I made adjustments.
These shocks are the best money can buy. I continue to be amazed at how many owners never consider upgrading the handling and ride of their bikes. They seem to get consumed with HP, torque, and sound, but rarely handling/ride quality.
While I was at it, I replaced the stock shock bolts with some good Grade 8 bolts. Even the stock bolts are shitty. I did have to use some 3/8 inch spacers to push my mufflers down 3/8" so when fully extended, so the bottom of the shock mount would not touch the muffler. No big deal. Available at Ace Hardware, Tractor Supply, etc. Chrome spacers. Easy. If you have to do this, remember to get some slightly longer bolts for mounting the muffs with these spacers. You may not have to do this..I dunno.
Good luck with the adjustments and enjoy the ride!!

Last edited by Lowcountry Joe; 08-07-2011 at 08:19 PM.
Old 08-07-2011, 08:37 PM
springerchop
Cruiser
Received 3 Likes on 2 Posts

You'll love em. Great upgrade

Old 08-23-2011, 10:18 PM
JIMSFBL
Outstanding HDF Member
Received 6 Likes on 3 Posts

Well after a couple weeks of reading up on suspension upgrades for my 2001 FLHTCUI it looks like I too will be calling Howard. First I am doing the front, so I ordered the HD chrome lowers kit and adding Race tech for my front suspension. I expect them to be in by weeks end and on by this time next week. I am lowering the front 1" during this process.

Once the front is complete I will be ordering my Ohlins and from what I can come up with I'm gonna go with 2-2B, but we will see after I talk to Howard. Those come in 12 7/8", but I'd like to have 12 5/8". I don't know if that's doable, that's the length that I need for my bike to sit like I want.

Old 08-24-2011, 06:02 AM
tj316
Stellar HDF Member
Received 480 Likes on 126 Posts

the 2-2B would give you a great ride as it has an 84mm stroke , however the #2 line length is not adjustable , that would still be a good choice 1/4" length longer will not make a difference in how your bike sits
Originally Posted by JIMSFBL
Well after a couple weeks of reading up on suspension upgrades for my 2001 FLHTCUI it looks like I too will be calling Howard. First I am doing the front, so I ordered the HD chrome lowers kit and adding Race tech for my front suspension. I expect them to be in by weeks end and on by this time next week. I am lowering the front 1" during this process.

Once the front is complete I will be ordering my Ohlins and from what I can come up with I'm gonna go with 2-2B, but we will see after I talk to Howard. Those come in 12 7/8", but I'd like to have 12 5/8". I don't know if that's doable, that's the length that I need for my bike to sit like I want.

Old 08-24-2011, 11:21 AM
JIMSFBL
Outstanding HDF Member
Received 6 Likes on 3 Posts

Originally Posted by tj316
the 2-2B would give you a great ride as it has an 84mm stroke , however the #2 line length is not adjustable , that would still be a good choice 1/4" length longer will not make a difference in how your bike sits
Thanks tj!

Old 08-24-2011, 03:59 PM
Edhglide
Novice
Received 0 Likes on 0 Posts

I too purchase a pair of Ohlin #3-1's from Howard at Motorcyclemetal. Just installed them last night. Easy to install took about an hour. Got about 10 miles on them today, a night and day difference compared to the stock HD air bags. I can't wait until they are fully broken in. Like others have said just have fun and take your time tuning them in, and give Howard a call if you have any questions.

Quick Reply: going ohlins