Touring Models Road King, Road King Custom, Road King Classic, Road Glide, Street Glide, Electra Glide, Electra Glide Classic, and Electra Glide Ultra Classic bikes.
Sponsored by:
Sponsored by:

Caution about Signature Series pax seat

Search this Thread

Old 07-30-2011 | 09:49 PM
V2Evo96
|
Road Warrior
Angry Caution about Signature Series pax seat

A caution to others and a minor personal vent here:
I've just done a complete QD kit on the 09 Glide for the TP including a Signature Series solo seat and the additional passenger seat add on for when I want to take someone along without bolting up the TP and reinstalling the OEM seat.

The pax seat for this is part no 51770-09A. First up I have taken great care not to scratch the rear fender with the OEM seat, and have had terry toweling pads under it for 2 years (which got cleaned from time to time and reinstalled). There was not a scratch on the fender till I just did a test fit only onto the fender/Signature Solo Seat with the optional pax seat.
The problem with the pax seat is that the ''blade" at the front of the seat is just that-- sharp as a dozer blade. In the process of reaching final placement it gouged a strip of finish about 1/4" wide x 2" long through the paint. I didn't even feel it touching the fender/digging in till I removed it and got the unwelcome suprise...
Poor design and finish-- they could have done that attachment better IMO. Also I probably could have taken better care but guys I am almost a fanatic about taking care with installing bolt on assemblies of any kind.

Bummer--now where's that touchup paint I put away just in case?

Old 07-31-2011 | 02:57 AM
Watch Guy
Stellar HDF Member
Default Not sure how you have mounted this but

the two bolts you use for securing the drivers seat have slots in them so the blades do not come in contact with the fender at all. That way the pillion can be removed/installed with just the single screw at the back. My take on your description is that you set the pillion on the bike and then bolt down the drivers seat on top of the 'blade' Is this correct?

Old 07-31-2011 | 05:19 PM
V2Evo96
|
Road Warrior
Red face

Watch Guy-- Based on your input I screwed it up by misreading the instruction sheet. Having gone back to it it plainly says:

"Slide slots on leading edge of pasenger pillion (1) onto seat mounting studs (A)" ....etc, etc.
The drawing however, is not really clear about (A) and I interpreted it that the slot needed to go UNDER the solo seat rear mounting...or it would otherwise scratch the top of the mounting.

My judgement error in misinterpreting the 'destructions' cost me the scratch. Such a simple matter and I read it wrongly. Thanks for pointing that out.

Old 07-31-2011 | 05:41 PM
Pastor John
Outstanding HDF Member

There's nothing quite as aggravating as a scratch or other mishap during a DYI installation. Except, of course, trying to understand HD instruction sheets!

Old 07-31-2011 | 05:49 PM
arlinsg
Road Captain

Even installed right, and using do care and caution, I managed to put a couple of small scratches on my fender. This happened the first time I put the pillion on.
The scratches didn't go thru the clearcoat, but I put a Mustang bib on the fender,
and now I don't have to be as careful.
I had a Mustang two piece on my last bike for 40,000 miles, and never scratched the fender once.

Old 07-31-2011 | 07:29 PM
V2Evo96
|
Road Warrior

Yep very frustrating. I have been bolting stuff on for 2 years on this bike and haven't had a single scratch as a result. Very proud of the fact that I lined the underside of the OEM seat with terry towels and managed to keep the fender scratch free for that time.

HD instructions can be very frustrating and sometimes a bit unclear, then others are in great detail-- guess it depends on the author and the complexity of the job.
In this instance all it would have taken would have been a small arrow in the diagram to point the slots on the pillion seat towards the middle of the fasteners that hold the solo seat in place.

I wasn't even going for a final fit-- just showing my son how it looks when the pillion is fitted with the QD sissy bar in place, and dug the mount into the fender-- that sucker is sharp when it hits paint! At that time I did think it belonged under the solo seat rear mounting though.

Ah well-- it's just a scratch......

Old 08-01-2011 | 03:16 AM
Watch Guy
Stellar HDF Member
Default Here's the bolts I'm talking about

http://www.jpcycles.com/product/8200085
Although I'd still use a terry towel underneath the passenger pillion. I really like the Sig. Series seat but I only use it when I use the tour pak moved forward for solo riding.

Old 08-01-2011 | 01:05 PM
tooloudman
Intermediate

Overall I like the versatility of the Signature seat. I have the full set up on my RKC and use in both Solo and passanger set up. I always keep a Mustang plain fender bib fitted to protect the fender under the pillion pad.

Few things I didn`t like were -

1. The cheap painted finish on the two hole bracket for fixing down the rider seat. Very poor considering it is visible when used as a solo. Easily marked so I stripped paint and polished within an inch of its life. Now looks much better.

2. Plain steel fixing nuts, again looks poor when riding in solo mode so bought chrome replacements from Mustang.

3. The rider backrest bracket is in a plain black finish, about to have these chromed along with some other kit form another project.

4. The seat is sold as a QD option but you need to undo both bolts to release the pillion grab strap, a complete PITA, guess what? it aint fitted anymore.

With the few tweaks I carried out it is now a great add on.

Mark

Old 08-01-2011 | 05:19 PM
V2Evo96
|
Road Warrior

Originally Posted by tooloudman
Overall I like the versatility of the Signature seat. I have the full set up on my RKC and use in both Solo and passanger set up. I always keep a Mustang plain fender bib fitted to protect the fender under the pillion pad.

Few things I didn`t like were -

1. The cheap painted finish on the two hole bracket for fixing down the rider seat. Very poor considering it is visible when used as a solo. Easily marked so I stripped paint and polished within an inch of its life. Now looks much better.

2. Plain steel fixing nuts, again looks poor when riding in solo mode so bought chrome replacements from Mustang.

3. The rider backrest bracket is in a plain black finish, about to have these chromed along with some other kit form another project.

4. The seat is sold as a QD option but you need to undo both bolts to release the pillion grab strap, a complete PITA, guess what? it aint fitted anymore.

With the few tweaks I carried out it is now a great add on.

Mark
No 1 and 2 above-- agreed and don't know about yours but the horizontal 'bend' to fit the fender (on mine) is not uniform and doesn't fit the curve well.
it also came with manufacturing scratches on it and was painted over--Overall I'd have to say this is shoddy workmanship-- I'll fix that one.

I do like the comfort of the actual HD Signature Solo seat though.

At the same time I fitted the TPak QD system and while it was made well and fitted fine the "P" clamp that holds the pax headset connector is crap. They put 2 in the packaging so when you stuff one up trying to make it fit properly the backup is there. I'll make a better one myself.