Touring Models Road King, Road King Custom, Road King Classic, Road Glide, Street Glide, Electra Glide, Electra Glide Classic, and Electra Glide Ultra Classic bikes.
Sponsored by:
Sponsored by:

Reusable oil filters

Search this Thread

Old 07-29-2011, 04:45 PM
PLEIKU69
Intermediate
Received 0 Likes on 0 Posts
Default Reusable oil filters

Anyone using one of these and any complaints?

Old 07-29-2011, 07:44 PM
spiker
Road Master
Received 1 Like on 1 Post

Originally Posted by PLEIKU69
Anyone using one of these and any complaints?
I put on a K&P filter the last oil change.From what I read on them I really like the concept.The cooling fins might of lowered my oil temp some, with other things I put on the bike runs cool.

Old 07-29-2011, 08:56 PM
speakerfritz
Road Warrior
Received 3 Likes on 3 Posts

there is one on ebay. looks a lot like an aviation grade filter. only problem is that it's a 35 micron filter and stock harley filters are 5 microns.

Old 07-29-2011, 09:05 PM
TORQUEY
Seasoned HDF Member
Received 175 Likes on 127 Posts

Originally Posted by speakerfritz
there is one on ebay. looks a lot like an aviation grade filter. only problem is that it's a 35 micron filter and stock harley filters are 5 microns.

Read up on the micron filtration, as there are two sets of standards, one an absolute and one an "average". Look below at the superb filter that is on my bike. Read on that site and others about micron filtration.

PCRacing USA

Close Window »

Old 07-30-2011, 12:33 AM
bagman1
Grand HDF Member
Received 53 Likes on 50 Posts

35 microns is way too big for oil filtration. How does average vs absolute come into play? The media is not variable its one or the other!

Old 07-30-2011, 01:10 AM
soft 02
Seasoned HDF Member
Received 4,571 Likes on 2,889 Posts

Media is variable. HD filters are synthetic media wich is absolute. Conventional media is avaraged because if you look at it with an electron microscope it varies so it has to be avaraged. A wire mesh would be absolute. Thats the way I lerned it.

Old 07-30-2011, 06:21 AM
TORQUEY
Seasoned HDF Member
Received 175 Likes on 127 Posts

Absolute rating vs. nominal rating for filters

Filters are rated on their ability to remove particles of a specific size from a fluid, but the problem is that a variety of very different methods are applied to specify performance in this way.
Pore size ratings refer to the size of a specific particle or organism retained by the filter media to a specific degree of efficiency. A filter that is marked '10 micron' has some capability to capture particle as small as 10 micrometers. However you do not know exactly what this means unless you also have a description of the test methods and standards used to determine the filter rating. The two most used reported media ratings are nominal and absolute micron rating.
Absolute rating
The absolute rating, of cut-off point, of a filter refers to the diameter of the largest spherical glass particle, normally expressed in micrometers (mm), which will pass through the filter under laboratory conditions.
It represents the pore opening size of the filter medium. Filter media with an exact and consistent pore size or opening thus, theoretically at least, have an exact absolute rating.
The absolute rating shouldn't be confused with the largest particle passed by a filter under operating conditions: the absolute rating simply determines the size of the largest glass bead which will pass through the filter under very low pressure differentials and nonpulsating conditions.
This does not usually apply in practice: pore size is modified by the form of the filter element and it is not necessarily consistent with the actual open areas. Furthermore the actual form of the contaminants are not spherical and the two linear dimension of the particle can be very much smaller than its nominal one, permitting it to pass through a very much smaller hole (i.e. cylindrical particles with a thickness less than the slot opening of the filter). The passage of oversize particles in this manner depends very largely on the size and shape of the opening and on the depth over which filtering is provided. Most of filters generate a filter bed: contaminants collecting on the surface impart a blocking action decreasing the permeability of the element bad improving filter efficiency. When the blocking is so severe that the pressure drop is excessive, the flow rate through the system decrease seriously. This explains why the performance of a filter can often exceed its given rating based on the performance of a clean element and why test figures can differ widely with different test conditions on identical elements.
It may be argued that the term absolute rating is not a realistic description. Strictly speaking the term absolute indicates that no particle larger than that rating can pass through the filter, limiting the type of media to those of consistent pore size where they show 100% retention of particles.
Nominal rating
The nominal rating refers to a filter capable of cutting off a nominated minimum percentage by weight of solid particles of a specific contaminant (usually again glass beads) greater than a stated micron size, normally expressed in micrometers (mm). I.e. 90% of 10 micron.
It also represents a nominal efficiency figure, or more correctly, a degree of filtration.
Process conditions such as operating pressure, concentration of contaminant etc, have a significant effect on the retention of the filters. Many filter manufacturers use similar tests but, due to the lack of uniformity and reproducibility of the basic method, the use of nominal ratings has fallen into disfavor.
Mean filter rating
The mean filter rating refers to the measurement of the average pore size of a filter element. It establishes the particle size above which the filter starts to be effective. It is determined by the bubble point test and it is more meaningful than a nominal rating and, in casa of filter elements with varying pore size, more realistic than an absolute rating.
Source: 'Filters and Filtration Handbook', T Christopher Dickenson, Elsevier, January 1, 1997

Old 07-30-2011, 06:49 AM
troop
Outstanding HDF Member
Received 49 Likes on 44 Posts

Have the PC Racing filter on my bike. Excellent piece of equipment. Don't get caught up on H-D micron rating. Yes, it stops 5 microns, but probably at some ridiculously low flow rate. The K&P/PC units are guaranteed not to let anything bigger than 35 microns pass thru at any flow rating while a H-D filter could let particles bigger than that thru at higher flow rates...

Old 07-30-2011, 09:05 AM
PLEIKU69
Intermediate
Received 0 Likes on 0 Posts

Thanks for all the info guys. I do know I have 1986 Yamaha four wheeler I bought new and it has a washable metal screen similar to those filters.I have always kept it serviced and it still runs like new so they must work pretty good.

Old 07-30-2011, 09:09 AM
tj316
Stellar HDF Member
Received 480 Likes on 126 Posts

I run a K & P on my new bike and on my last bike as well , work good , no issues

Quick Reply: Reusable oil filters