Touring Models Road King, Road King Custom, Road King Classic, Road Glide, Street Glide, Electra Glide, Electra Glide Classic, and Electra Glide Ultra Classic bikes.
Sponsored by:
Sponsored by:

Rode a RG custom last night

Search this Thread

Old 07-29-2011, 10:02 AM
06 flstfise
Road Captain
Received 5 Likes on 5 Posts
Default Rode a RG custom last night

Well as the title says rode a RG custom last night. Been eyeing a RG but wanted to see how the shark nose was with buffeting and just how it rode over all. Well first let me say I was impressed by the 103 for what it does stock, coming from a mild build 95. Ride was great and no buffeting. But I was really surprised at how high I felt. It seemed as if the floorboards are really high. I currently have a 06 Fatboy, and compared to that I felt really high. I am not sure if this is what everyone talks about when they say you are in a softail and on a touring frame? As I have ridden EG and SG and did not feel the same but those are all the old frame as well. I have not ruled out the RG and if I do get one it will be the Ultra version with tour pack. So am I wrong in how I feel and you just get used to it? Change the seat and it gets better? I am 6 foot 185 so not that big at all. Those that have made the switch let me know.

Old 07-29-2011, 10:18 AM
sanlyn
Road Master
Received 9 Likes on 3 Posts

I went from a Fat Bob with forward controls to the Road Glide, and at first I felt a little awkward in the riding position. Swapped out the seat for a one that sets me back/down a little, added floorboard extenders, and now I'm right at home with it.

Gotta love that touring frame ... everything is easier to work on (more room) than the Dyna, and handles better.

Old 07-29-2011, 10:21 AM
IAMSWUTIAMS
Extreme HDF Member
Received 13 Likes on 12 Posts

I love that bike. I'm trying to fenagle a way to get one. Black denim.

Old 07-29-2011, 10:27 AM
roadgliderick
Outstanding HDF Member

this is my second one made a few mods like seat floor board extenders as stated above and apes of course. wouldnt own anything else i do have a pan head but thats it and my wife rides a streetglide but thats it oh i do have a harley f150 but thats it.

Old 07-29-2011, 10:31 AM
skratch
Seasoned HDF Member
Received 4,371 Likes on 2,543 Posts

Originally Posted by roadgliderick
i do have a pan head but thats it and my wife rides a streetglide but thats it oh i do have a harley f150 but thats it.
are you sure that's it?

Old 07-29-2011, 10:34 AM
Brettcr
Road Captain
Received 1 Like on 1 Post

Not really sure i feel like i sit on it instead of in it. Kinda feel in it myself. I've made a few mods but i am using a 2011 RGC stocker seat. I am short though . 5'8"

Old 07-29-2011, 10:37 AM
TORQUEY
Seasoned HDF Member
Received 175 Likes on 127 Posts

Originally Posted by skratch
are you sure that's it?

Give some more time to think about it...

Old 07-29-2011, 10:37 AM
06 flstfise
Road Captain

Originally Posted by roadgliderick
this is my second one made a few mods like seat floor board extenders as stated above and apes of course. wouldnt own anything else i do have a pan head but thats it and my wife rides a streetglide but thats it oh i do have a harley f150 but thats it.
Yeah I should have mentioned that I have apes on the fb as well so that threw me off too. And all the other touring bikes I have ridden had apes as well. Those bars would be the first to go. Couldnt even see out of the mirrors.

Old 07-29-2011, 03:43 PM
honorsdaddy
Road Master
Received 0 Likes on 0 Posts

Originally Posted by 06 flstfise
Well as the title says rode a RG custom last night. Been eyeing a RG but wanted to see how the shark nose was with buffeting and just how it rode over all. Well first let me say I was impressed by the 103 for what it does stock, coming from a mild build 95. Ride was great and no buffeting. But I was really surprised at how high I felt. It seemed as if the floorboards are really high. I currently have a 06 Fatboy, and compared to that I felt really high. I am not sure if this is what everyone talks about when they say you are in a softail and on a touring frame? As I have ridden EG and SG and did not feel the same but those are all the old frame as well. I have not ruled out the RG and if I do get one it will be the Ultra version with tour pack. So am I wrong in how I feel and you just get used to it? Change the seat and it gets better? I am 6 foot 185 so not that big at all. Those that have made the switch let me know.
The stock seat on the FLTRX blows goats compared to the stock seat on the FLTRU. Ride quality on the FLTRU is a LOT better as well - longer shocks instead of the short kidney-beaters.

Yes, you sit higher - but that's simply because the bike itself is higher, Your head will be about at the same level as most cagers instead of below them.

As far as "in" or "on" the bike, it more or less comes down to the seat. The stock FLTRX seat is much less of a bucket and does give a feeling like you're sitting on it - kinda almost dirt-bikeish. The FLTRU seat is much more supportive and gives a more connected feeling.

Old 07-29-2011, 04:41 PM
scot210
Tourer
Received 1 Like on 1 Post

If your thinking about changing the bars, take a look at Sinister's bars;http://www.ssinisterchoppers.com/ I put a set of hot rod bars on my Roadie and I love them

Quick Reply: Rode a RG custom last night