Touring Models Road King, Road King Custom, Road King Classic, Road Glide, Street Glide, Electra Glide, Electra Glide Classic, and Electra Glide Ultra Classic bikes.
Sponsored by:
Sponsored by:

Voiding the warranty question

Search this Thread

Old 07-29-2011, 04:53 AM
crazzy76
Intermediate
Received 0 Likes on 0 Posts
Default Voiding the warranty question

I have a 2011 limited.

I just bought the fuel moto power package setup to include the TW-555 cams.

I called the dealership to get everything installed, and the dealership told me that if I put these parts on to include the map from the dynojet, I'll be voiding my warranty.

Is this true?

Sound crazy to me.

Thank you!

Old 07-29-2011, 05:40 AM
VTGlideRider
Road Master
Received 1 Like on 1 Post

This question has been asked and discussed here quite a few time so you might want to do a search to look at some of the other discussions. But in any case in the US the dealer or manufacturer cannot "void" your entire warranty because you put those parts on, its illegal. In order not to honor the warranty for a specific repair they would have to show that those modifications actually caused the malfunction you are looking to cover, and the burdon of proof is on them. It would be hard for them to prove that if you came in to have your HK radio repaired under warranty, for example.

Have your dealer look up the Magnuson-Moss Warranty Act.

Old 07-29-2011, 05:41 AM
MattInFla
Road Master

I believe at this point, asking about voiding your warranty... voids your warranty.

Old 07-29-2011, 05:50 AM
LarryLives
Road Warrior
Received 7 Likes on 3 Posts

The cams might be a little bit outta line....
IMO Talk w Jamie at FM, and see what if any issues from dealers.
Then also maybe talk to a local indy to do the work.
I'm sure if a indy does it the dealer would never even know, and thus not bust ur ***...

I do agree with VT, they cant tell you that.... if you have a component fail and its under warranty they have to fix, UNLESS they can 100.999% prove the part you installed created the damage.

Old 07-29-2011, 05:57 AM
blkfalc4
Tourer

His profile shows he's from Germany, Mag-Moss may not apply.

Old 07-29-2011, 06:06 AM
Potato_Potato
Outstanding HDF Member
Received 5 Likes on 5 Posts

I am careful to wear genuine Harley Davidson jeans when I ride in for warranty claims

Old 07-29-2011, 06:41 AM
fabrik8r
Outstanding HDF Member
Received 31 Likes on 21 Posts

So when a dealer installs a cam, does that void your warranty too? A dealer will warranty their own work, but there is a big diffence between dealer warranty and factory warranty. It's all a bunch of crap. If you want to play the performance game you might as well forget about a factory warranty. A more powerfull motor as a result of a hot cam will constantly place more stress on the entire driveline than the original motor does, the warranty covers the bike configured with an OEM power plant, so any second or third order effects associated with a more powerfull motor would be real easy to decline warranty claims, like primary components, final drive, transmission, bearings, valve train, crank scissor, cam plate, oil pump, brakes, broken fairing brackets, you name it. If you want a hot rod, build it, run it till it breaks, and then build it again, bigger and better, and be prepared to pay to play. If you want the security of a warranty, leave it all stock, drive it like grandma, have the dealer do all services and repairs, and when the time comes for a warranty claim they will still try to weasel out of it.

Old 07-29-2011, 07:28 AM
1flhtk4me
Seasoned HDF Member
Received 90 Likes on 67 Posts

I think some dealers will install aftermarket parts and still honer the warranty,others wont.

Now if you install those parts and have engine problems,a dealer can say the engine is not covered.Anything else on the bike should be covered.

Old 07-29-2011, 07:30 AM
VTwinJaxFL
Road Captain
Received 4 Likes on 4 Posts

I changed the oil on my bike and voided the warranty.

Old 07-29-2011, 07:44 AM
dan conner
Ultimate HDF Member
Received 8 Likes on 8 Posts

the s.e. 255 cam is similiar in performance, and is a harley part...most dealers will install and warranty it.

Quick Reply: Voiding the warranty question