Touring Models Road King, Road King Custom, Road King Classic, Road Glide, Street Glide, Electra Glide, Electra Glide Classic, and Electra Glide Ultra Classic bikes.
Sponsored by:
Sponsored by:

Voiding the warranty question

Search this Thread

Old 03-04-2012, 12:55 PM
mkguitar
Extreme HDF Member
Received 398 Likes on 340 Posts

Originally Posted by stevereno
Maybe I can get a refund on the warranty, cause I know I'll be modifying it... Myself???
Ooops !

warrantys are for stock bikes

modifying the ecm and/or changing the rev limit will void the warranty if you get caught

why the heck would anyone honor a warranty if the buyer screws up the tuning ( see every third post on these boards).

or tried installing a cam, when they can't change the oil on the mini-van.

or complain about the electrics blowing breakers after they tried changing the bars ( see every 4th post)

the warranty compliant parts are detailed in the P&A book. as are those that do not.

as mentioned earlier, the dealer is not H-D, they are separate companies. the dealer cannot represent changes to the H-D factory warranty, although they may choose to take on that obligation ( get that in writing).

and extended warranty is witha 3rd party company, that contract will have it's own conditions and exclusions that have nothing to do with MMWA ( which is so often mis-represented, it's almost the "fake moon landing" of vehicles).

Mike

Old 03-04-2012, 01:12 PM
mgmmgm
Outstanding HDF Member
Received 6 Likes on 6 Posts

On my new 2011 RKC i went with factory SE 255 cam- just to keep in warranty parameters. I did not go extended Warr, so I got 1 more year left. I figure if I wanted to tinker with a different cam or engine mods etc., after that time that I could do it and then no issues.
My HD tinkering savings account went flat on me last week, as I had to replace a furnace and AC unit in my house. No mods for a LONG while, but at least I enjoy my RK and it works well for me-

Old 03-04-2012, 03:10 PM
Lowcountry Joe
Elite HDF Member
Received 66 Likes on 46 Posts

Originally Posted by mkguitar
Ooops !

warrantys are for stock bikes

modifying the ecm and/or changing the rev limit will void the warranty if you get caught

why the heck would anyone honor a warranty if the buyer screws up the tuning ( see every third post on these boards).

or tried installing a cam, when they can't change the oil on the mini-van.

or complain about the electrics blowing breakers after they tried changing the bars ( see every 4th post)

the warranty compliant parts are detailed in the P&A book. as are those that do not.

as mentioned earlier, the dealer is not H-D, they are separate companies. the dealer cannot represent changes to the H-D factory warranty, although they may choose to take on that obligation ( get that in writing).

and extended warranty is witha 3rd party company, that contract will have it's own conditions and exclusions that have nothing to do with MMWA ( which is so often mis-represented, it's almost the "fake moon landing" of vehicles).

Mike
Well said and totally accurate. And if you think installing HD screamin eagle cams and other "for closed course use only" parts on your HD bike will save your warranty....well it will not in most cases.....and it all depends on the disposition of your dealer. Most will laugh at you (a nice little inside voice laugh) as they flag your bike in the HD customer database and you walk out the door shaking your head. Once flagged, you are toast.

Then you quote a paragraph from the Magnuson-Moss Warranty act? Might work with a few, but for most it will have no effect. I have yet to see any evidence that an owner has taken a dealer to court due to the dishonoring the MM act in a motorcycle warranty case.

Better get a service manual and a good set of tools....or pay the pipers in the HD garage if you have major engine issues you can't fix yourself.

Performance upgrades are great, but they all include certain risks. So just what kind of a risk taker are you?

Old 03-04-2012, 11:09 PM
stevereno
Advanced
Received 0 Likes on 0 Posts

mkguitar, Yes very well said.... Glad you gave me your expert 'sarcasmized' opinion. Although, I wasn't asking for it. Maybe next time you can paste the links for those 'every other posts' your referring too as it may educate me for the answers I was looking for (without the sarcasm). And I'm very aware of the who's who in the HD family as well as the little warranty icons, but just to clarify for you the modifications I am talking about for my own bike would be wheels, handlebars, grips, floor boards, chrome covers, etc., that will all be dealer parts and don't have the icons (maybe they aren't considered modifications in your book, but they are in mine). Heck, I said nothing about cams, or ecm/tunning mods, but nice to know. So, I guess when the motor, or trans goes (no mods at all) the dealer can tell me to go pound sand because I changed the wheels... LOL! I may as well do my own scheduled maintenance too. Thanks Mike!

Lowcountry Joe, Just curious... Did you buy an extended warranty for your Limited? Or did you pass on it being you added all those mods and did you do them yourself or have the dealer do them for you? Forget it! I think I know the answer.

Old 03-05-2012, 08:06 AM
PghCycle24
Road Master
Received 4 Likes on 3 Posts

Originally Posted by Lowcountry Joe
Well said and totally accurate. And if you think installing HD screamin eagle cams and other "for closed course use only" parts on your HD bike will save your warranty....well it will not in most cases.....and it all depends on the disposition of your dealer. Most will laugh at you (a nice little inside voice laugh) as they flag your bike in the HD customer database and you walk out the door shaking your head. Once flagged, you are toast.

Then you quote a paragraph from the Magnuson-Moss Warranty act? Might work with a few, but for most it will have no effect. I have yet to see any evidence that an owner has taken a dealer to court due to the dishonoring the MM act in a motorcycle warranty case.

Better get a service manual and a good set of tools....or pay the pipers in the HD garage if you have major engine issues you can't fix yourself.

Performance upgrades are great, but they all include certain risks. So just what kind of a risk taker are you?
I bought my '04 Ultrrra from the dealer which sold it new and did all the perfomance upgrades on it when new-Sceaning Eagle Super Tuner & High Flow air cleaner, HD cams, True duals. Had to go in becuase of poor fuel mileage and performance issues since day one (two year ongoing nightmare) and they finally diagnosed a cam issue, but said that the extended warranty was voided because of the Screaning eagle tuner they originally installed. They then sold me a warranty (void at time of sale I guess), and to make f---ing complete, the issue all along turned out to be that their mechanic had installed one of the HD cams out of time when the bike was brand new. Gotta love these dealers!

Old 03-05-2012, 08:07 AM
PghCycle24
Road Master
Received 4 Likes on 3 Posts

Sorry about all the typos-keyboard issues.

Old 03-05-2012, 09:04 AM
frog13
Outstanding HDF Member
Received 15 Likes on 9 Posts

Originally Posted by stevereno
mkguitar, Yes very well said.... Glad you gave me your expert 'sarcasmized' opinion. Although, I wasn't asking for it. Maybe next time you can paste the links for those 'every other posts' your referring too as it may educate me for the answers I was looking for (without the sarcasm). And I'm very aware of the who's who in the HD family as well as the little warranty icons, but just to clarify for you the modifications I am talking about for my own bike would be wheels, handlebars, grips, floor boards, chrome covers, etc., that will all be dealer parts and don't have the icons (maybe they aren't considered modifications in your book, but they are in mine). Heck, I said nothing about cams, or ecm/tunning mods, but nice to know. So, I guess when the motor, or trans goes (no mods at all) the dealer can tell me to go pound sand because I changed the wheels... LOL! I may as well do my own scheduled maintenance too. Thanks Mike!

Lowcountry Joe, Just curious... Did you buy an extended warranty for your Limited? Or did you pass on it being you added all those mods and did you do them yourself or have the dealer do them for you? Forget it! I think I know the answer.
Stevereno, lighten up a bit guy, you have been on here since 2006, you know the sarcasm flies ........ like all these guys said, the warranty is for stock bikes, beyond that, one never really knows. Take your handlebar example, if your dealer installs them and they fry the electrical system, my guess is your dealer will cover that, but maybe not another dealer, they didn't install them. Now, if YOU install them and fry something, well, they prettty much have a leg to stand on, even though it was a factory part, it was installed wrong by a non-certified technician causing the problem and you're hosed. Here's the best advice anyone can probably give regarding warranty:

Keep it stock, fight for every warranty claim and probably come out on top for almost all

Have the dealer modify it, will probably honor warranty at that dealer, iffy at others.

Modify it yourself or at an Indy, who knows, depends on the dealer and how much he likes you if you have a claim.

Extended warranties, yeah right, they're in it for the money, any reason to deny a claim is good for them.

I have seen way more bikes get modified and never have a problem than the other way around. I have also sseen some stone cold stock bikes that are pieces of $hit, I believe it is the luck of the draw, you either get one of the 99% good ones and modifying it don't matter at all, or you get the 1% piece of crap, but those usually start shaking out in the first few thousand miles.