Touring Models Road King, Road King Custom, Road King Classic, Road Glide, Street Glide, Electra Glide, Electra Glide Classic, and Electra Glide Ultra Classic bikes.
Sponsored by:
Sponsored by:

Voiding the warranty question

Search this Thread

Old 07-29-2011, 08:45 AM
Sharknose
Elite HDF Member
Received 4 Likes on 4 Posts

Conversation at a dealership a few years ago:

Cocky HD guy: I see you have a trailer hitch. If you ever have a problem that'll void your warranty.

Me: I don't think so. Can you show me something in writing that says that?

Suddenly not so cocky HD guy: no, that's just what I heard.

Old 07-29-2011, 09:37 AM
Jim Dawson
Ultimate HDF Member
Received 19 Likes on 18 Posts

Originally Posted by Sharknose
Conversation at a dealership a few years ago:

Cocky HD guy: I see you have a trailer hitch. If you ever have a problem that'll void your warranty.

Me: I don't think so. Can you show me something in writing that says that?

Suddenly not so cocky HD guy: no, that's just what I heard.
The trailer hitch might be a bad example as I think it's in the owner's manual that traler hitches are prohibited under the factory warranty.

Old 07-29-2011, 09:43 AM
ss55539
Intermediate
Received 0 Likes on 0 Posts

thats why you keep all your stock stuff so you can change it back if you have an issue.

Old 07-29-2011, 09:44 AM
pargenz
Outstanding HDF Member
Received 4 Likes on 4 Posts

Originally Posted by VTGlideRider
This question has been asked and discussed here quite a few time so you might want to do a search to look at some of the other discussions. But in any case in the US the dealer or manufacturer cannot "void" your entire warranty because you put those parts on, its illegal. In order not to honor the warranty for a specific repair they would have to show that those modifications actually caused the malfunction you are looking to cover, and the burdon of proof is on them. It would be hard for them to prove that if you came in to have your HK radio repaired under warranty, for example.

Have your dealer look up the Magnuson-Moss Warranty Act.
The emphasis or operative word in your reply isn't void... but rather entire.
His suggested changes wouldn't void his entire warranty, but it may call into question what the warranty would cover should there be a problem down the road.

For example, look at the SE parts catalog and many items contain a disclaimer that their very installation can void your warranty.

The MMWA certainly comes into play, at least on this continent.

Old 07-29-2011, 07:55 PM
bigdumbnoitall00
Seasoned HDF Member
Received 670 Likes on 534 Posts

dealer can still refuse to fix your hk radio cuase u didnt wear yor harley branded jeans that day,then its up to u ?do u take him to small claims and loose several days work(they will get continuos up the butt),or pay a lawyer afwe grand to get your 200$ repair?

Old 07-29-2011, 08:45 PM
lh4x4
Extreme HDF Member
Received 932 Likes on 574 Posts

If you really want to do a mod, then do it! Full speed ahead. Damn the torpedo"s or rather warranty.

For the most part not much happens to the bike in 24 months.

If you mod it and it breaks, fix it. If you can't take care of fixing it then don't do it.

Worry worry worry oh my.

Time goes fast. Mine were out of warranty before I even knew it. My 2010 Ultra will go out in a couple months. It will probably fall apart before winter.

Old 07-29-2011, 08:50 PM
soft 02
Seasoned HDF Member
Received 4,571 Likes on 2,889 Posts

If you are using the power vision you can name your map. Thus you can name your map the same as the stock calibration. Dealer hooks up to the ecm and doesnt see where someone has flashed it.

Old 07-29-2011, 08:57 PM
jeff.georgalas
Outstanding HDF Member
Received 3 Likes on 3 Posts

I don't know that I've ever heard of (and if so, it's been so rare that I don't remember it) an engine breakdown due strictly to cams. If you choose the wrong one (which you haven't) it's possible, or it may just run like ****. Other than that I don't think you've got a lot to worry about. And if something did go wrong, you either pull the cams yourself and put the stock ones back in, or pay an indy two or three hours of labor to put the original ones back in and then take it to the dealer and you'd still be further ahead moneywise.

Old 07-29-2011, 09:10 PM
sr_smyth
Tourer
Received 5 Likes on 2 Posts
Wink well actually...

Originally Posted by pargenz
For example, look at the SE parts catalog and many items contain a disclaimer that their very installation can void your warranty.

The MMWA certainly comes into play, at least on this continent.
Actually, only the middle part of "this continent" . Last I looked, Canada and Mexico were still soveriegn countries and not subject to US law

just sayin'

Old 03-04-2012, 12:30 PM
stevereno
Advanced
Received 0 Likes on 0 Posts
Default This is an older post, but...

Sucks, about the warranty issues with HD dealers, but then, why do they still do scheduled maintenance when a bike has been modified? Isn't that a double standard. Meaning your doing the maintenance with them to keep the warranty valid... Right?

After reading this post I seem to feel stupid, cause I paid for the 7yr warranty when i just bought my new 2012 SG. Maybe I can get a refund on the warranty, cause I know I'll be modifying it... Myself???

Quick Reply: Voiding the warranty question