Touring Models Road King, Road King Custom, Road King Classic, Road Glide, Street Glide, Electra Glide, Electra Glide Classic, and Electra Glide Ultra Classic bikes.
Sponsored by:
Sponsored by:

Tuners?

Search this Thread

Old 07-27-2011, 11:36 PM
davehtutk
Cruiser
Received 0 Likes on 0 Posts
Default Tuners?

Ok,
So i spent part of the morning reading about the different types of tuners here on the site, but still have not got my answer. One reason may be because im tired and wont wait for stuff to load on this slow *** internet i have here in Iraq.

Im headed home in a couple weeks after one of the longest years in Iraq that I can remember. I have a 2010 SG and want to upgrade the exhaust, going for the rinehart extreme duals at 3.5. So Ill add the cleaner, not sure which one yet, and after talking to my dealer he said to add a tuner. That seems to be the consensus here, but Im not sure which one. He suggests the SERT and some posts have said it is the best, others go for the PCV and then i read an article that talks about the fuel pak from V&H. Im getting the install done at the dealer and the price doesnt matter as much I just want the quality and what works the best. Im love my Glide and Im going to keep it for a while so long lasting and better quality matter.

Thanks for the help. Oh yea I cant check this site but in the Morning for me because the internet is to slow here so it takes me atleast 24 hours to respond.

Old 07-27-2011, 11:49 PM
dnitram
Road Master

I'd sure check out Jamie at Fuel Moto. VERY helpful and usually spot on with GOOD advice!

Old 07-27-2011, 11:53 PM
pargenz
Outstanding HDF Member
Received 4 Likes on 4 Posts

Thank you for your service!

When it comes to tuners, your choices pretty much come down to whether you want one that is installed onto the scoot or one that is only used to reflash the ECM. I chose the latter, and went with the SE Pro tuner.

I prefer being able to update/edit the map being used by the ECM. Still got a lot to learn.

Old 07-28-2011, 12:07 AM
VTwinPulse
Cruiser

Hope the days go quick bro! Get back safe.

Everything I've read on here seems to point to the TTS mastertune with autotune or the HD SEPST. I never wanted the module on the bike so I went with SE Pro Super Tuner because I was messing with the dealer for my first few mods. I figure I couldn't really have gone wrong with either one. Ease of use was the biggest argument I saw between the two but I have my bike being dyno tuned and really haven't explored the functions and settings myself yet.

Sounds like the TTS needs the laptop with the bike to change settings where the SEPST can be taken to the laptop inside.

Old 07-28-2011, 12:20 AM
GrayFox042
Novice
Exclamation Be very careful!

I joined this forum specifically because of your post and to warn you. I was actually searching for another topic when I saw your post. This sounded liked an all too familiar personal experience. Anyhow...

Thanks for your service. I'm an Iraq and Afghan vet. Let's cut to the chase. I left my 08 FLHX with an HD dealer while I was in Afghanistan. I left them with a list of parts and mods, to include a SERT. They also put in a Woods cam (and did some other cosmetic work). They had 7 months, and my bike was not ready when I got back. A month later the bike was ready. Ran great - for about a week.

Long story short, I thought I did my homework, and I thought I could trust the dealer. Listen to the more experienced riders. I wasted THOUSANDS of my hard-earned cash on the mods that the dealer made. If you're looking for performance increases, I would recommend you consider a few things before you choose any tuner. (Take them with a grain of salt - do your homework!)
1. Have your top end done. In other words, consider restroking your bike to a 103, 107, etc.
2. Choose a performance cam. I recommend Bob Woods because I called him from Afghanistan and he spoke with me directly, and ultimately referred me to the right person to get my bike running right again. He is a true patriot!
3. I've been burned by several dealers across the country (wherever I've been stationed). I found 2 reliable mechanics that run their own shops.
4. Think of a total package. A tuner without having a bigger engine, and a bigger cam to unleash that beast, turns out to be a waste of money (IMO). And consider if you're going to have all of this work done down the road anyhow. You might as well get it all done at once.

So, what happened to my bike? A week after the dealer "hooked me up" I started loosing gas mileage and performance. The engine ran too rich, which just isn't good all around. The throttle was lagging. Oh, and did I mention that while I was still in Afghanistan they emailed me and told me they could not get it tuned right? They told me I had to put on a new exhaust system because the SERT could not regulate the back pressure on the rear cylinder. BS!

The fix: ended up restroking to a 107. I took out the SERT and put in a PCIII. I ended up with 103HP and 117TQ. And of course all of this cost me major $$$ on top of what I had already spent. Plus the riding time I lost while the bike was in the shop. Choose wisely, and good luck!

*I apologize for any ignorance (mechanical-wise) displayed in this post to all of the old salts out there who might read my post. Ultimately we're all trying to help our fellow patriot make an informed decision.

Old 07-28-2011, 12:48 AM
qtrracer
Ultimate HDF Member
Received 131 Likes on 104 Posts

It's not the device, it's the person using it.

Old 07-28-2011, 12:59 AM
PistonPuller
Ultimate HDF Member
Received 5 Likes on 5 Posts

Originally Posted by qtrracer
Bingo!

Old 07-28-2011, 09:46 AM
iclick
Extreme HDF Member
Received 48 Likes on 32 Posts

Originally Posted by VTwinPulse
Everything I've read on here seems to point to the TTS mastertune with autotune or the HD SEPST.
Really? Everything? You haven't seen hundreds of favorable posts about other tuners?

BTW, TTS is not an "autotune" tuner. It optionally runs in closed-loop mode for about half the operating range, just like the stock system, and the only tuners that offer true auto-tuning of AFRs are the PCV-AT, Thundermax, and Rev Perf. EMS. There may be one or two more that I'm not aware of, but TTS isn't one of them.

Sounds like the TTS needs the laptop with the bike to change settings where the SEPST can be taken to the laptop inside.
If this is a criterion the Power Vision runs datalogs without a laptop using the display module provided with the kit, and it's a flash-based tuner like TTS and SEPST. It will datalog the full operating range and also will allow tuning of spark advance using the provided PV Tune software, which AFAIK is the only tuner that will do so.

Old 07-28-2011, 09:47 AM
iclick
Extreme HDF Member
Received 48 Likes on 32 Posts

Originally Posted by qtrracer
A big +1 on that advice!

Old 07-28-2011, 10:29 AM
aviator
Elite HDF Member
Received 4 Likes on 3 Posts

thanks for your service.

like elbows, everyone has an opinion. I went with FuelMoto and got a PCIII - yeah, but it's an older bike. I've not had any trouble from it.

Quick Reply: Tuners?