Touring Models Road King, Road King Custom, Road King Classic, Road Glide, Street Glide, Electra Glide, Electra Glide Classic, and Electra Glide Ultra Classic bikes.
Sponsored by:
Sponsored by:

Major problem

Search this Thread

Old 07-27-2011, 11:12 PM
Jackstraw
Intermediate
Received 0 Likes on 0 Posts
Angry Major problem

The front spark plug hole stripped out on my 2002 EGS tonight. I just bought this bike about six weeks ago and have been working on some minor issues. One of them was running to rich. Going by one of the procedures on this forum of using three sets of new plugs and adjusting the air idle screw running it and check the plugs for color. While doing this I noticed the rear plug would screw all the way in and snug with the ratchet in about 1/2 or 3/4 of a turn but the front one would only screw in about 2 or 3 turns by hand and then I would have to tighten it up with the ratchet. It didn't turn hard but I still had to use the ratchet. While doing the last set as the plug start to snug up just spun free again. It has no threads at all, the plug just sits in the hole and spins freely.
My question is can I just pull that head off and have it retapped or replace it and reassemble it or do I have to do the whole upper end

Old 07-27-2011, 11:23 PM
Fast Aire
Former Sponsor
Received 3 Likes on 3 Posts

This can happen due to over torquing & stretching the internal threads, not using anti-seize or pulling a hot plug from a hot head.

Head is Alum so...It can be welded up & re-tapped or a heli-coil can be inserted. If you only replace the one head, be sure to clean out the alum shavings from cylinder really good.

Best alternative is to by a good used complete head & replace it. All the other valve parts are reuseable.

A Matched set of low mileage heads is the better choice. That way, you can replace all the gaskets & such with new ones. If you got an 88 incher, great time to step up to a 95 kit.... And it begins....yeah, its mo-money!

Old 07-27-2011, 11:28 PM
gwfirefighter
Intermediate
Received 1 Like on 1 Post

sorry for your luck.you have a few choices.you can get a helicoil kit repair to repair the threads.you have lots of room to work at it.ask your local engine machine shop what they use. you may want to remove the heads and get them polished and ported.it isn't really a very big problem.good luck

Old 07-27-2011, 11:34 PM
soft 02
Seasoned HDF Member
Received 4,571 Likes on 2,889 Posts

The first thing I usually try is to use a tap and see if you can correct the damage. Second is to heli-coil the hole. Usually just re-tapping it fixes the prob. Most cases its the first two threads that are bad. Mine is 12mm but not sure on older bikes.

Old 07-27-2011, 11:38 PM
lh4x4
Extreme HDF Member
Received 932 Likes on 574 Posts

This is just why helicoil was made. Easy and inexpensive. Harbor Freight has a big Storehouse supply with multiple sizes for cheap.

Old 07-27-2011, 11:42 PM
soft 02
Seasoned HDF Member

If you go the heli coil rought bring piston to top and insert toilet paper and vacuume out shavings. I know its stating the obvious but you never know.

Old 07-27-2011, 11:51 PM
Jackstraw
Intermediate

Thanks for all the replies. I never used a heli coil before. I know what they are and what they do but never had to use one. Is that a permanent fix or will I need to think about replacing the heads down the road.

Old 07-27-2011, 11:55 PM
soft 02
Seasoned HDF Member

Its better than stock. MoCo cant afford to do heads that way and most stock ones never fail. Every threaded hole in my high performance chevy heads are heli coiled. Best thing you could do and you dont have to worry about dis-similar metal issues i.e. aluminum to steel.

Old 07-27-2011, 11:58 PM
HolePuncher
Cruiser

Big-sert spark plug hole repair kits are the best quick fix on the market. Don't waste your time with heli-coils. The beauty of this method is that you can have your bike back on the road the day after you get the kit and you do not have to remove the head if you use care. I did my first few repairs on the bench to see how much debris I lost and there was zero. Spend some time to make SURE you order the right insert. The replacement threads will outlive you if treated with respect, i.e., don't remove plugs from a hot head.

http://www.timesert.com/html/sparkplug.html

Video:
http://youtu.be/a5k9rEeGUTg

Last edited by HolePuncher; 07-28-2011 at 12:04 AM. Reason: spelling
Old 07-28-2011, 12:03 AM
HolePuncher
Cruiser

Originally Posted by soft 02
The first thing I usually try is to use a tap and see if you can correct the damage. Second is to heli-coil the hole. Usually just re-tapping it fixes the prob. Most cases its the first two threads that are bad. Mine is 12mm but not sure on older bikes.
Retapping will not repair a stripped out hole. Even if you are successful in getting the tap to clean what threads remain, under heavy acceleration you can blow the spark plug right out of the head. I've seen it happen.

Quick Reply: Major problem