Touring Models Road King, Road King Custom, Road King Classic, Road Glide, Street Glide, Electra Glide, Electra Glide Classic, and Electra Glide Ultra Classic bikes.
Sponsored by:
Sponsored by:

Got greased by the dealer!

Search this Thread

Old 07-28-2011, 02:20 PM
TexasSG
Road Captain
Received 3 Likes on 2 Posts

I don't grease mine, never have on any of my bikes.

I've had the trees off of at least 5 Harley's that had very little grease in the neck (which tells me they never got serviced after initial assembly) and the bearings were fine, still had some grease in them.

Old 07-28-2011, 03:28 PM
SIU 96
Tourer
Received 1 Like on 1 Post

Originally Posted by leicafish
No complaints with my dealer.

Does very good maintainance and Hi Per mods.

The steering grease if just part of the bike bike like it or not.

These dealer flame post just crack me up, because it comes down to $$. Can pay don't play. But don't rag on or expect a dealer to do stuff for free.

How many problems on this board have we read are self inflicted by person play mechanic or use a Independant.
Aint you the lucky one, wish you all the best with your A1 dealer.
But at least get it right. No one said anything about getting their work for free. 20,000 for a bike and 300 for the first service should be way more than fair for the dealer to do the job right the first time, and not use crappy products and make lame excuses for the things they do.
My first service was an unbelievable mess. 1 quart over fill on the engine oil, grease coming out the neck bearings blowing all over the bike. And the stickiest crap I have ever seen sprayed on every thing that had a joint, and my saddle bags looked like they had been drug around on the shop floor. It took a long time to clean that mess up.
Since you have an A1 dealer then you dont have to deal with any thing like that, or dont realize that it is pointless to bitch to the dealer.Since you obviously dont understand what some have to go through, why dont you just drop the tuff guy routine and keep that crap to your self.

Old 07-28-2011, 04:01 PM
kevmiami
Tourer

So far, I have only gone to the dealer for free labor on my out of warranty '07 fatboy. Battery cable recall. Broken tumblers in the ignition lock; I paid for the lock, but they agreed to install it for free (which is easy). I did just call to find out how much for them to put a pair of chromed lowers on the fork I bought on the internet. She quoted $280 to drop tire, swap lowers, including seals and oil and asked I if I was calling around, I said no but what is a fair price? She dropped $50 off - done deal; I thought $230 was a good deal for not having to deal with fork oil and making a jig to get the springs in safely.

Old 07-28-2011, 04:11 PM
skratch
Seasoned HDF Member
Received 4,357 Likes on 2,536 Posts

Originally Posted by kevmiami
I'm not a mechanic and I didn't sleep at HI Express, but why do people subscribe to lubing something until you apply enough pressure to twist/misshape/stretch a seal until it leaks on purpose? I would think lubing more frequently with less volume and listening with your fingers when you turn something would be a much more evolved approach. Cheers, Kevin.
because the manual says to?

when the bike is assembled at the factory, they do not fill the steering neck with grease, they only pack the upper and lower bearing. then when it's time to do the service, in order to make sure that the bearing is fully lubricated, you have 2 options: 1. pack it full of grease so that you know that grease has reached all parts of the bearings. or 2. take the steering head off and do it the way the factory did it.

could you imagine how much more the 1000 mile service would be if they dropped the front end to repack the bearings?

i guess there is always the third option, choose not to grease the bearings since they are not really in a high stress environment anyway (unlike wheel bearings). not like you're spinning your handlebars around at high rpm.....

Old 07-28-2011, 04:33 PM
leicafish
Outstanding HDF Member
Received 28 Likes on 18 Posts

Originally Posted by SIU 96
Aint you the lucky one, wish you all the best with your A1 dealer.
But at least get it right. No one said anything about getting their work for free. 20,000 for a bike and 300 for the first service should be way more than fair for the dealer to do the job right the first time, and not use crappy products and make lame excuses for the things they do.
My first service was an unbelievable mess. 1 quart over fill on the engine oil, grease coming out the neck bearings blowing all over the bike. And the stickiest crap I have ever seen sprayed on every thing that had a joint, and my saddle bags looked like they had been drug around on the shop floor. It took a long time to clean that mess up.
Since you have an A1 dealer then you dont have to deal with any thing like that, or dont realize that it is pointless to bitch to the dealer.Since you obviously dont understand what some have to go through, why dont you just drop the tuff guy routine and keep that crap to your self.
Well ******* the only thing I can say is BS. If you want to call my attitude tough guy, Thank you. If you want to flame continue. When I have issues I speak with my dealer/service and they are taken care of the first time in a professional manner. The bike is done on time, cleaned and followed up on the next week after I get it back. But I can say customers with your demeamor that all they want to do is just bitch as you put it. In my business, I just act as a tough guy (as you put it)and advise that customer to please lose my phone number. There customers with your tude that just can not be helped.

Old 07-28-2011, 04:45 PM
kevmiami
Tourer

Originally Posted by skratch
because the manual says to?

when the bike is assembled at the factory, they do not fill the steering neck with grease, they only pack the upper and lower bearing. then when it's time to do the service, in order to make sure that the bearing is fully lubricated, you have 2 options: 1. pack it full of grease so that you know that grease has reached all parts of the bearings. or 2. take the steering head off and do it the way the factory did it.

could you imagine how much more the 1000 mile service would be if they dropped the front end to repack the bearings?

i guess there is always the third option, choose not to grease the bearings since they are not really in a high stress environment anyway (unlike wheel bearings). not like you're spinning your handlebars around at high rpm.....
Good answer, but I was really talking in general; that was what my father taught me as a kid too, fill it until leaks somewhere. Hmm, wonder if we could make millions designing a grease gun with simple back pressure measurement, then you know it's full, before you mishappen the seal/boot/etc. Well it wouldn't have to millions, $1,600 would pay for new V&H 2-1 and thundermax autotune! Peace - Kevin.