Touring Models Road King, Road King Custom, Road King Classic, Road Glide, Street Glide, Electra Glide, Electra Glide Classic, and Electra Glide Ultra Classic bikes.
Sponsored by:
Sponsored by:

Got greased by the dealer!

Search this Thread

Old 07-28-2011, 08:51 AM
leicafish
Outstanding HDF Member
Received 28 Likes on 18 Posts

No complaints with my dealer.

Does very good maintainance and Hi Per mods.

The steering grease if just part of the bike bike like it or not.

These dealer flame post just crack me up, because it comes down to $$. Can pay don't play. But don't rag on or expect a dealer to do stuff for free.

How many problems on this board have we read are self inflicted by person play mechanic or use a Independant.

Old 07-28-2011, 09:06 AM
IAMSWUTIAMS
Extreme HDF Member
Received 13 Likes on 12 Posts

Have another glass of kool-aide?

Old 07-28-2011, 09:36 AM
skratch
Seasoned HDF Member
Received 4,357 Likes on 2,536 Posts

Originally Posted by spiceman40
In 6 months I'm gonna be wringing somebody's neck.Unbelievable!
when i did the service on my sportster 10 years ago, i greased the steering bearings per the service manual (fill it till it starts coming out). i haven't done it since, but it is still oozing out the steering neck.

Old 07-28-2011, 09:47 AM
kevmiami
Tourer
Received 1 Like on 1 Post

I'm not a mechanic and I didn't sleep at HI Express, but why do people subscribe to lubing something until you apply enough pressure to twist/misshape/stretch a seal until it leaks on purpose? I would think lubing more frequently with less volume and listening with your fingers when you turn something would be a much more evolved approach. Cheers, Kevin.

Old 07-28-2011, 09:51 AM
cochon
Road Warrior
Received 44 Likes on 33 Posts

As I recall without looking it up, the service manual says to keep pumping grease to the neck bearings until it just begins to ooze out. What result would you expect if you did this??? It sounds like the dealer just did what the service manual said to do. And if a little bit of ooze is good, than a lot of ooze should be great.

Old 07-28-2011, 11:27 AM
batman4706
Tourer
Received 0 Likes on 0 Posts

I use Mobil 1, we've had 23 straight days over 100 deg & no drips. You can see the grease where it came out (some I missed on wipe off!) and it just sits there, not dripping.

Old 07-28-2011, 12:27 PM
kevmiami
Tourer

Originally Posted by batman4706
I use Mobil 1, we've had 23 straight days over 100 deg & no drips. You can see the grease where it came out (some I missed on wipe off!) and it just sits there, not dripping.
For us in dark, what kind of grease - wheel bearing (synthetic?) Is there any concern about mixing different greases (I won't disassemble). Thanks, Kevin.

Old 07-28-2011, 12:31 PM
Guntoter
Outstanding HDF Member
Received 101 Likes on 81 Posts

It is somewhat normal for grease to fly from the steering head. Mine has been doing it since new and I have pumped the crap out of it with new high temp grease but on hot or long rides some always flies out.

Best thing to do is using a paper towel clean out as much of the excess you can. Then using a butt load of q-tips, scrape the rest of the grease out of there, follow up with more paper towels them wash it good with soap and water on an old washcloth. That will help considerably.

Old 07-28-2011, 01:51 PM
rg_dave
Outstanding HDF Member
Received 19 Likes on 13 Posts

At least you know they did it. I use Redline grease and follow the service manual instructions. Never had a drip. We have lots of days over 100 degrees here.

Old 07-28-2011, 01:58 PM
inaroush
Road Captain

My dealer just did the 1k service to my bike. It rolled out pristine and fine. In fact I have no isses at all, rode home and its perfect.

I dunno but so far my dealer (lighthouse harley, long island, NY) has proven to be total gentlemen and professional in my dealings with them on every level.

Quick Reply: Got greased by the dealer!