Touring Models Road King, Road King Custom, Road King Classic, Road Glide, Street Glide, Electra Glide, Electra Glide Classic, and Electra Glide Ultra Classic bikes.
Sponsored by:
Sponsored by:

SG vs RG handling test-

Search this Thread

Old 07-28-2011, 02:10 PM
rg_dave
Outstanding HDF Member
Received 19 Likes on 13 Posts

I've ridden both. I'd agree with the wind statements but I really don't have much of an issue with wind on my bike with the 8" clearview and other odds and ends. Handling I disagree with. Its the same bike and at speed in the curves the fairing won't make a difference. Maybe the shorter shocks on the SG are what you notice but thats more of a ride issue. If you don't mind dragging your boards, they'll lean the same.

Old 07-28-2011, 03:28 PM
hoethree
Elite HDF Member
Received 69 Likes on 21 Posts

Some prefer blondes, some prefer redheads or brunettes...me, I like'em all! And the ride is different on every one of them. So much for an objective evaluation.

Old 07-28-2011, 03:56 PM
TWIN CAM 96
Outstanding HDF Member
Received 6 Likes on 6 Posts

Originally Posted by papifun
you cant even reach to radio on a RG and the double headlight dont look to good... SG RULES !
This is a GOOD ANSWER!

Old 07-28-2011, 03:57 PM
mllgator
Tourer
Received 1 Like on 1 Post

He is riding a RG Ultra - not the RG Custom. The Custom's geometry is the same (not including the fairing , of course) as the Street Glide.

Old 07-28-2011, 04:01 PM
ehc0720
Tourer
Received 0 Likes on 0 Posts

Maybe the difference in the handling in curves is that the suspension compresses as you lean into a turn and the weight of the fairing on the SG is on the front forks so they maybe compressing more than the RG?!?!?!

Old 07-28-2011, 06:08 PM
Beemervet
Ultimate HDF Member

Received 435 Likes on 317 Posts

Quote:
Originally Posted by papifun View Post
you cant even reach to radio on a RG and the double headlight dont look to good... SG RULES !

Originally Posted by TWIN CAM 96
This is a GOOD ANSWER!
I sure hope you are being sarcastic.

Old 07-28-2011, 09:19 PM
sesto123
Cruiser
Received 9 Likes on 9 Posts

Originally Posted by Northside
So a Roadglide Ultra with 13 inch shocks and a full touring windshield and lowers I'm guessing, handles better than a Streetglide with 12 inch shocks, that reduce lean angle in the twisties. Then you say the Streetglide got more wind buffetting with the 4" windshield than the RGU with those lowers and big windshield. Wow! Who'd have ever guessed it. I'm glad you removed the tourpack from the RG to keep things fair.

Maybe a better test would be a Stretglede vs.a Roadglide Custom or an Ultra Classic vs a RGU.
My intent was not start a RG vs SG debate. I was merely pointing out some findings I had when I rode the 2. I should have also mentioned that I do have a wind splitter shield and not the stocker. I have also lowered my RGU as I am inseam challenged-

Just pointing out my opinion has I have both in the stable. But then again, opinions are like a$$holes.... Everyones got one!

Old 07-28-2011, 09:24 PM
Gadgetech
Club Member
Received 52 Likes on 41 Posts

Originally Posted by sesto123
My intent was not start a RG vs SG debate.
Yes it was...

Old 10-01-2011, 07:39 AM
MoosesUltra09
Advanced
Received 0 Likes on 0 Posts

For background info I am 6'2" 260 pounds and early 40's All of these factors make a difference because by knowing this you know i'm not too short to reach the ground not too old to wrestle a bike in the wind and not a lightweight.

I had an 09 Ultra Classic (UC)for 25000 miles. Never really has a complaint UNTIL the bike went in the shop and I rode the Road Glide Ultra (RGU). Within a week of getting it back I had a 2011 RGU. Why??

The 103 has the torque curve they should have had since they introduced the 96. It pulls strong and steady without having to really gas on it. its smooth and dependable

Slow speed handling is HANDS DOWN better than the UC. The reason is the bars are in a better place and style for me and there isn't an additional 30 pounds mounted to the bars so it is SO much easier to steer. I find myself sitting up straighter and feeling less cramped because I am actually reaching for the bars instead of slumping my shoulders with my elbows tucked in.

High speed handling is pretty much the same to me.

YES even I have to lean forward to reach for the radio lol so that is a valid point.

I REALLY like the two fairing pockets. I put my cell phone and Ipod in the left side and listen to what I want when I want and can change back and forth easily while in motion without expensive mounts that clutter up the bars and they stay dry when it rains.

The ONLY negative that I have experienced is a different style of wind buffeting. I did not wear a helmet on my UC because no matter what shield I had and what saddle i was sitting on i would get double vision from the wind. Same thing on the RGU but I have the added addition of excessive wind noise in the ears. I am currently researching a different shield and when i find it this will go away and I will be able to wear a lid again which will make me happy because the wife and kid will shut up about it!!

I do miss the brake lights that were on the rear tour pack on my UC. I cannot understand why HD deleted this on these bikes. Yes it is a cleaner style but at the cost of safety??

I kinda miss the fog lights too for night riding but I installed twin HID's WOW I ride in daylight 24/7 now

So hopefully this info will be helpful to someone looking into either a RGU or a UC. While I had the UC I thought it could not get any better so there is certainly nothing wrong with them. When i rode the RGU I discovered i was wrong and made a change both bikes have their plus and minus columns. It is up to you to see which minus for me is a plus for you or vice versa.