Touring Models Road King, Road King Custom, Road King Classic, Road Glide, Street Glide, Electra Glide, Electra Glide Classic, and Electra Glide Ultra Classic bikes.
Sponsored by:
Sponsored by:

GPS Power

Search this Thread

Old 07-27-2011 | 07:33 PM
sanlyn
|
Road Master
Default GPS Power

I've seen plenty of threads about GPS here, and seems like several people have "non-Zumo" GPS units they're using on their bikes. I have a Garmin Nuvi 200 with a RAM Mount set up on my Road Glide. My problem is the power plug. The stock Garmin 12V power plug, when plugged into the 12V outlet on the Road Glide touches my tank. Main reason I haven't used it much yet. I'm sure it's going to wear the paint. Any suggestions for a fix? I thought about hard wiring it, but wanted to make sure I was going to get some use out of it before tearing into the wires.

Old 07-27-2011 | 07:53 PM
binkman78
Club Member

You need the direct hardwire with the box built in the middle.

http://www.amazon.com/Garmin-Hardwir.../ref=pd_cp_e_1

I got mine off fleabay for 10 bucks and wired to the back of the lighter.

Last edited by binkman78; 07-27-2011 at 07:55 PM.
Old 07-27-2011 | 08:02 PM
stro1965
Seasoned HDF Member

Wire in a second power outlet inside the fairing. Easiest place to access switched power is a pigtail off the headlight harness.

Old 07-27-2011 | 08:07 PM
Krow
Tourer

I have the same unit. I had tried powering it off a USB cord plugged into the front fairing socket but it kept wanting to go into "computer mode". So I ran the power cord into the fairing where I installed another power outlet wired to the extra line to the headlight. I wanted to use the Garmin power adapter as it looks after all the voltage issues for you. By "hard wire" I hope you mean to include the adapter in the power line or you risk blowing it.

I like the cheap Nuvi because it does all the basic and necessary stuff and it's not worth a lot of $$ so most of the time I don't even bother taking it off of the mount when I park it. Who would bother stealing a unit only worth about $50? I use mine all the time. Not for the mapping features, unless I'm in unfamiliar territory, but to keep track of distances traveled, etc. I usually zero it before each day trip. It also gives a digital readout of speed that is easier to keep an eye on than the much lower-in-view speedometer. I live close to the US/CAN border. When I cross I can set the GPS to give me distances and speed in the "old" US units ;-)

Last edited by Krow; 07-27-2011 at 08:10 PM.
Old 07-27-2011 | 08:08 PM
RollaMo
Grand HDF Member

Here is what I used. Works great, and it does not hit the tank.
Full lock left to full lock right, no interference.

Cigarette Lighter to USB adapter
Amazon Amazon

USB Charging Cable
3BR Powersports
Some say you can use the USB cable that comes with the Garmin. But that is really intended as a "data" cable and when I plugged it in, I never could get it to power up the GPS.
Click the link, then scroll down to the USB Power Cables
http://www.3brpowersports.com/products_usb_cables.htm

Old 07-27-2011 | 08:13 PM
keneds
Advanced

Did the same thing as Rollamo..........That's how its done. Perfect.

Old 07-27-2011 | 08:17 PM
K Melancon
Road Warrior

I got this lil cigarette plug that has two (2) USB inlets. It is almost flush with the fairing. I plug in a USB power cord. I saw this set up while searching GPS mounts and I went with it. The search will have pictures.

UPDATE - Dam I type slow with two fingers. Thats it above.

Old 07-27-2011 | 08:23 PM
rdc401
Road Master

[quote=RollaMo;8625226]Here is what I used. Works great, and it does not hit the tank.
Full lock left to full lock right, no interference.

Cigarette Lighter to USB adapter
http://www.amazon.com/Powerjolt-Dual.../dp/B0042B9U8Q

USB Charging Cable
3BR Powersports
Some say you can use the USB cable that comes with the Garmin. But that is really intended as a "data" cable and when I plugged it in, I never could get it to power up the GPS.
Click the link, then scroll down to the USB Power Cables
http://www.3brpowersports.com/products_usb_cables.h
me too

Old 07-27-2011 | 09:08 PM
Geezer glider
Tourer

Sorry I don't have any pics. I installed a second cig lighter outlet inside my fairing. I then used a device like that pictured in previous posts bringing the voltage down to 5ma with a usb cord to deliver power to my gps that I have mounted on the fairing front and center. Fab'd my own mount and rubber mounted it which makes viewing the gps smooth with hardly any vibes. Holes are drilled on top with alumn backing plates glued inside the fairing, figured if I didn't like this, I could hide the holes with a windshield pouch, but so far I really like my set-up. I cut a notch for the usb cord into the inner fairing where the windshield butts up against it right where mount is, this way I have no cord hanging anywhere except when not using the gps. I usually drive around with the gps in it's mount, it's just a Garmin 255w which was less then $100. Only complaint I have is that it takes a little bit for the gps unit to go through it's startup cycle when I start the bike, don't know if thats the same on more costly units. Before this I never had a gps, never needed one, but on the bike it's nice to have one. There are times that it's hard to see the screen, like on a sunny day, but I just deal with it.

Old 07-27-2011 | 10:15 PM
teedubya
Road Master

I hard wired right to the back of the cigarette lighter then ran my power cord thru the fairing with the clutch cable and up the handlebars to my ram mount. It was merely two small double spades that went right onto the lighter spades. I run a TomTom Ryder 2.

Quick Reply: GPS Power