Touring Models Road King, Road King Custom, Road King Classic, Road Glide, Street Glide, Electra Glide, Electra Glide Classic, and Electra Glide Ultra Classic bikes.
Sponsored by:
Sponsored by:

FatShotz Mufflers: Ahhh...

Search this Thread

Old 07-27-2011, 07:26 PM
Pastor John
Outstanding HDF Member
Received 14 Likes on 7 Posts

Port Dawg - I don't have the SE Tuner (or whatever it's called), just the Stage 1 Download. My dealer told me that since I was sticking with all HD equipment (intake & mufflers), the Download would be fine and that he wouldn't necessarily recommend a dyno tune/SE Tuner combination unless I had extra money and wanted every last bit of performance from the system. His thought was that for what I was planning, the Download would get me 90% there. Good enough for me I suppose...

Old 09-25-2011, 11:27 AM
mrmatw
Cruiser
Received 2 Likes on 2 Posts

Well after reading everyone else's claims about the fat shots's I'll just post mine as well. 1) Great sound, deep and rich as claimed. 2) Mixed with stage 1 tune and super sucker it felt different. Notably. 3) 50k later, I'm changing two things. a) true duals and a tuner. Friend has already done that and I'm all for the little louder yet still hear the radio on trips. But crack the throttle and it's better, louder and it's HARLEY!
Why the tuner: Learn from others. Oh it's not necessary some have reported. I've got to tell you; got a friend that's having the motor overhauled due to over heating because it ran too lean too long, went true duals, bigger aircleaner and free flow type exhaust (ouch on the wallet). I'm sure it's all to the operators preferance and desires. My bet for the best money spent is having it tuned and correct the first time. If it fails, it falls on the shop. And I have to admit, you find a great shop that part isn't even in the equation.
Now here is the question about those fantastic auto-tuners, you know the ones you just dial in the numbers:
They say just type in the numbers for your bike and it'll run great. Really? they tried this on every bike, at every stage of mileage and it works?
Do the Mathnumbers are in general equations: Use 8 models at the particular stages of mileage (generlly every 5k and there are some at 100k so we have to look at these)= 20 stages X 200k of situations X "X" number of riders. Each test of variance would be quartlery reported B= 20 Stages X 200k situations x Quartlery adjustments (brain starting to hurt)
Sounds like just computer solutions to me. Ok, I'm not bashing the computer age technology, we have EFI and the module that works as programed. Sure we add a tuner and do the dyno.... You know as anything else this could go on for ever in debate. In the end, we have to look back to see what, where and how we got here. Hmmm to test any of these solutions it would then to make it to the dyno. I'm guessing those guys some of us are so keen on calling Red Necks in the NASCAR aren't so stupid as some claim. They've been dynoing their machines long before the public started. Guess where I'm going the first time? Ok it's my opinion and I'm willing to be wrong. Have a Great Day.... Either way, I'm going to have a great ride.
Later
Tom, MN

Last edited by mrmatw; 09-25-2011 at 11:33 AM.