Touring Models Road King, Road King Custom, Road King Classic, Road Glide, Street Glide, Electra Glide, Electra Glide Classic, and Electra Glide Ultra Classic bikes.
Sponsored by:
Sponsored by:

Road King comfort question.

Search this Thread

Old 11-11-2006, 01:23 AM
HangFire
Cruiser
Received 0 Likes on 0 Posts
Default Road King comfort question.

I recently bought a brand spankin' new road king classic. The bike is fantastic. My only problem is that my arms seem to be a little too short. I wind up leaning foreward slightly, causing my back to start hurting after about an hour's ride. Also, my windshield is too tall. The top of the shied is exactly even with my line of sight, making me want to stretch to look over it or lean over FURTHER to look under it. I was hoping someone with personal experience could give me some suggestions. My back (upper right shoulder) is still hurting after a long ride today.

HF

Old 11-11-2006, 01:28 AM
rj164
Road Master
Received 1 Like on 1 Post
Default RE: Road King comfort question.

I had the same problem with the windshield, I found a sign company that cut it down to the size I need cheaper than buying a low profile windshield, good luck

Old 11-11-2006, 01:32 AM
toolbox
Road Master

Good evening. Try putting some heritage pull back bars on it . I t will correct your posture (bring the contorls closer to your arms) and you can buy a extra tall windshield for the bike to clear your line of sight if you really want to. I just sold one to a guy with the same complaint. If I can help call me at work. R & B Custom Cycles of Oklahoma. My work number is 1-405-631-1218 . I believe I got the bars in stock and you dont have to change the cables,etc. to put them on. I can probally get you 10% off a Harley extra tall windshield if you want or get you a aftermarket short height windshield. Cutting down your windshield sounds like a good option too. If your interested I would be glad to see what I could do to help. Have a GREAT evening & thanks

TOOLBOX

[IMG]local://upfiles/11196/48F946E2A9C949A783FB43017CF44DC2.jpg[/IMG]

Old 11-11-2006, 01:35 AM
Primo
Ultimate HDF Member
Received 4 Likes on 4 Posts

Read this thread for some opinions and ideas:

https://www.hdforums.com/m_497095/tm.htm

Primo

Old 11-11-2006, 01:42 AM
Bill918
Road Captain

If you want to keep the RK look, but get rid of the neck and back pain, put on a set of Wild One Chubby W0508 handlebars. They are classic RK bars in 1-1/4" chrome, but bring your hands back about 3-1/2". Do a search for their website.

Old 11-11-2006, 03:03 AM
Sol
Tourer
Received 2 Likes on 1 Post

HangFire: while I didn't have exactly the same experience, I did mess with the ergonomics of my RK quite a bit along the way. Changing either the seat, handlebars or windshield height makes a difference in your riding position & comfort. Since most find the stock RKC seat uncomfortable for long trips, your best solution may be to go with a seat like the Sundowner that moves you up a bit & closer to the tank plus is comfy for long trips. Most seats only need the mechanical ability to turn one screw for a swap.

toolbox & Bill offer good advice on bar changes that don't require major overhaul of cables or wires. (Chubby would be my choice for looks & hidden wires). A handlebar swap takes more mechanical ability & time. If you change bars be sure to go with polyurethane riser bushings to eliminate sag & slop.

Your stock RKC windshield is already 2" under standard height, I'd hold off on any cutting until you make seat and/or bar changes for comfort. Also, it may be pricey to have a second complete windshield assembly but it's a nice luxury. I have both 4" under and standard height windshields for different riding conditions. Takes only seconds to swap a windshield. Even the shortest riders say they can see over the 4" under shield (at 6'1" I like it in warm weather).

Whether it's the seat, bars, shield or some combination, chances are you won't get your final fit right away so take it one step at a time.

toolbox: I'll have to stop by now that I'm in the OKC area and looking for a good shop

Old 11-11-2006, 06:58 AM
BonesUK
6th Gear

Had my Road King Classic bars changed for exactly the same reason as you, I am 5ft 9in.

Went with Harley Davidson Road King High Bars. (part no. 55954-00) These are the same profile but approx 3-4inches higher than stock. It takes away the need to lean forward and enables a more relaxed/upright position to be adopted. Although the bars do not come back any further they enable a far more comfortable position for me, with slightly bent arms. You do not need to make any cable/wiring changes to make them fit (good news). The dealer took about 1.5 hrs to change them over.

Good luck with you decision/purchase.

Old 11-11-2006, 08:53 AM
Pastor John
Outstanding HDF Member
Received 14 Likes on 7 Posts

Others have given great advice, so I'll just echo them: I went with the "mid-low" windshield, which is 2 inches shorter than stock and lets you look over the windshield instead of through it. I did not get any more wind buffeting with the shorter one. I also purchased the Sundowner touring seat, which moved me forward a bit and up about a half inch. I'm debating swapping out the handlebars for something a little taller with more setback, but I didn't like the looks of the Heritage bars that a lot of folks are going with. I found that the Sundowner resolved most of the problem.

Old 11-11-2006, 10:32 AM
1flhtk4me
Seasoned HDF Member
Received 90 Likes on 67 Posts

I think there are different seats that will move you forward as an alternative to bars.

Old 11-11-2006, 10:56 AM
whateva
Tourer

There are many options. This is just another option that I find very comfortable. As far as the windshield goes,,, you will probably end up throwing money at it and buying another ws

Quick Reply: Road King comfort question.