Notices
Touring Models Road King, Road King Custom, Road King Classic, Road Glide, Street Glide, Electra Glide, Electra Glide Classic, and Electra Glide Ultra Classic bikes.
Sponsored by:
Sponsored by:

Stock mufflers after cams & Stage-1?

Search this Thread

Old 07-11-2005, 07:31 AM
finallyultra
Intermediate
Received 0 Likes on 0 Posts
Default Stock mufflers after cams & Stage-1?

Hi Folks.
I was wonderi'n.....can I put stock mufflers back on my '00 Ultra Classic after the previous owner upgraded the cams and did the SE Stage-1?
I'd like to do this intermittently for long rides (I just did 4600 mi./2 weeks) so I can enjoy the stereo and the CB, but don't want to hurt the bike.
Thanks!
Frank

Old 07-11-2005, 08:29 AM
HDF Tech
Banned
Received 152 Likes on 43 Posts
Default RE: Stock mufflers after cams & Stage-1?

You will probably end up running overly rich and foul a plug, no doubt that the fuel system has been richened up to accomidate the cams and that would be too rich with the stock mufflers on it. You might get away with it, but it wouldn't run right.

Old 07-11-2005, 11:09 AM
Peekaboo Bob
Outstanding HDF Member
Received 2 Likes on 2 Posts

If you have a Race Tuner or Power Commander you could remap the ECM and it would probably be fine so long as you have a map for your configuration.

Steve

Old 07-11-2005, 09:42 PM
finallyultra
Intermediate

Thanks T....................BUMMER!

Old 07-12-2005, 12:31 AM
bobscogin
Intermediate
Received 1 Like on 1 Post

>I was wonderi'n.....can I put stock mufflers back on my '00 Ultra Classic after the previous owner upgraded the cams and did the SE >Stage-1?
>I'd like to do this intermittently for long rides (I just did 4600 mi./2 weeks) so I can enjoy the stereo and the CB, but don't want to >hurt the bike.

Theories about changes in backpressure and air/fuel ratios aside, I can tell you what my very recent personal experience is. I have a 2000 FLHRCI that had the 95" Stage III kit with cams and remap installed new. It also had a set of Samson "Rolled Thunder" mufflers installed at the same time. Note that I use the term "mufflers" loosely as one can see straight through them. They're too loud for me, so I decided to try a quieter set knowing that the additional restriction may cause richening of the mixture. I bought a set of mufflers from a 2004 Road King Custom and installed them. To my surprise, except for a slight reduction in throttle response (and this may be perception only since "loud" can sometimes be mistaken for "fast") the bike doesn't run any differently than before and exhibits no signs that the fuel curve /mapping is incompatible with the addional restriction. Two things may be at work here. First, changes in the exhaust may be much less effectual with regard to the fuel curve than to changes on the intake side, or the Road King Custom mufflers may not be as restrictive as I thought they'd be. Anyway, my point is don't blow off the idea based on theory. Install the mufflers, test driveability and engine response, read the plugs for mixture with an awareness that the potential for a change in mapping may be needed. Certainly, you won't harm the engine just running it long enough to make a determination, and the cost is zero if you've got the mufflers. You never know 'til you try.

Bob

Old 07-15-2005, 08:54 PM
Hi Torque Pork
Stage I

I just bought a D&D Fat Cat system and ghost pipe with the TC88 baffle from AMS Motomachine on their group buy.Got both for $649.00 + ups.Love the sound and performance.Little louder than just mufflers but makes a huge diff with cams and a tune.