Touring Models Road King, Road King Custom, Road King Classic, Road Glide, Street Glide, Electra Glide, Electra Glide Classic, and Electra Glide Ultra Classic bikes.
Sponsored by:
Sponsored by:

Need bagger input from the Forum

Search this Thread

Old 07-26-2011 | 11:47 PM
JPL17
|
Cruiser
Default Need bagger input from the Forum

So here is my situation. I'm pretty sure I know what kind of input I'm going to get from the touring section. Right now I hang in the softail section and the DYNA section. I have a softail deluxe that I have had for several years. I love this bike and have it just the way I want after several years of tinkering. I paid this bike off last August and started considering a second bike. After much thought I went with a new Fatbob last January. I have put a lot of work into this bike as well but when I was considering a 2nd bike I also really considered a Street Glide. Last month my local dealership put together a custom Street Glide and this past weekend they made me a pretty smokin deal to trade in my bob. The reason I went with the fatbob was because of handling. I love going up to the mountains and hitting the twisties but almost everytime I head out on a longer ride I think to myself how nice it would be to have some storage. I am married but my wife will never get on the back of one of the bikes, so all my riding is solo. I'm realing leaning towards joining the bagger boys but thought I would ask how everyone likes their Street Glides. Thanks for any input you can offer.

Old 07-27-2011 | 12:03 AM
DK Custom
Platinum Sponsor

Hitting the twistys on a touring bike is a blast. They handle a lot lighter than they are.

The SG is an inch lower than most other touring models so you give up a bit of lean, but that is easily remedied if it is important to you by putting on 13" rear shocks.

I think you would have fun AND have the storage you are missing.

Kevin
HDForums Scavenger Hunt Contest

Old 07-27-2011 | 12:04 AM
pargenz
Outstanding HDF Member

Personally, I'd go with a Road Glide...

Old 07-27-2011 | 08:15 AM
capnlovr
Cruiser

I started off with a Sportster then a Road King. Once I got my Street Glide and went out for the first cruz I fell in love, I will never go back!

Old 07-27-2011 | 09:38 AM
Northside
Road Warrior

Baggers handle the twisties way better than most people think. Way, way better than your softy. I live in Colorado and it's no secret that we have some of the best twisty roads. My Streetglide is great on the road and handles the canyons very well, and looks good too.

Another option for you is that new Dyna "Switchback." A Dyna with hard bags and a windshield. It would be a great handling bike and work fine for solo longer trips.

Old 07-27-2011 | 09:50 AM
ppilotmike
Road Captain

Once you own/ride a dresser you will never look back....

Old 07-27-2011 | 09:58 AM
Bleachey
Tourer

Every body has a street glide anymore, go with a Classis or Ultra Classic, the tour pak is incredibly useful.

Old 07-27-2011 | 10:00 AM
vistavette
Stellar HDF Member

Originally Posted by ppilotmike
Once you own/ride a dresser you will never look back....
I agree. My Ultra never seems like its the "wrong" bike for the ride. Handles great and tons of storage.

Old 07-27-2011 | 10:08 AM
user 29711972
Banned

...what they said ^

A bagger is a lot more nimble than you might think. I went from Sporty (hugger) to Wide Glide to Road King with add-on fairing. Long rides on the Road King are so much more comfortable, the storage is so awesome once you realize how much you use it, and twists and turns are a breeze!

Old 07-27-2011 | 10:12 AM
ocezam
Road Master

Originally Posted by Bleachey
Every body has a street glide anymore, go with a Classis or Ultra Classic, the tour pak is incredibly useful.

And incredibly ugly.

Quick Reply: Need bagger input from the Forum