Touring Models Road King, Road King Custom, Road King Classic, Road Glide, Street Glide, Electra Glide, Electra Glide Classic, and Electra Glide Ultra Classic bikes.
Sponsored by:
Sponsored by:

Thank You ABS!!

Search this Thread

Old 07-27-2011 | 01:29 PM
Feeeeg
Tourer

Literally two weeks after trading my 05 suzi (without ABS) I came into a left sweeper, on the out of the turn, I saw a deer in a yard, a good 40 ft off the road and safe. Covered the brakes just in case, sure enough the deer decided hed be better off on the other side of the road.

Jammed on them brakes, abs did its thing, slowed me down, deer crossed 7 ft in front of my bike and got hit by a truck travelling in the other lane. Had I been with my suzi still id be in the hospital, or at the very least buying a new bike.....

Old 07-27-2011 | 01:35 PM
petewerner
Road Captain

I have a 2011 FLTRX, and these brakes are incredible! I just finished an Advanced Manuvers Motorcycle training class through STARS here in Idaho. In this class, one of the objects is to learn how to take evasive action in emergency situations and these brakes made it easier to do many of the evasive maneuvers. I did this class two years ago with a FatBoy, and it was harder with the older softail than the new bagger...
And I would tell u that these ABS have saved my ars, for real, atleast twice!!

Attached Thumbnails Thank You ABS!!-img00628-20110726-0929.jpg  
Old 07-27-2011 | 02:45 PM
BigD64
Tourer

ABS really came in handy for me coming up to a toll booth in the rain when a cager darted into my lane. Even with the slippery (just started pouring after 5 days of heat) conditions stopped straight and fast.

I wish I had ABS 4 years ago when I came off a Hwy exit ramp a little too quick into a rotary and hit sand, locked the rear tire and got hi-sided landing on the grass in the middle of the rotary. No broken bones but I was sore for a week, old fat guys ain't supposed to roll like that. Bike had about 1500 bucks damage, engine guard took the brunt when it hit the curb. If I had the ABS then I know I woulda stopped safely.

Old 07-27-2011 | 07:28 PM
Egldr05
Road Warrior

Let me first say I wouldn't even consider a new bike without ABS but as much as some of you have claimed it has saved your a$$ multiple times you might want to consider slowing down a bit. The one accident I had was due to my own stupidity.

I think I ride more than the average guy and haven't had one instance I can think of where it would have saved me but I certainly would prefer to have it as a backup if I ever do get into one of those situations. Better to have it and not need it than the other way around.

Rick

Last edited by Egldr05; 07-27-2011 at 07:50 PM.
Old 07-27-2011 | 07:52 PM
Egldr05
Road Warrior

Originally Posted by Egldr05
Let me first say I wouldn't even consider a new bike without ABS but as much as some of you have claimed it has saved your a$$ multiple times you might want to consider slowing down a bit. The one accident I had was due to my own stupidity.

I think I ride more than the average guy and haven't had one instance I can think of where it would have saved me but I certainly would prefer to have it as a backup if I ever do get into one of those situations. Better to have it and not need it than the other way around.

Rick
Great, I probably jinxed myself by saying that and will be in that situation on my next ride. I sure wish the older bikes could be upgraded.

Rick

Old 07-27-2011 | 08:03 PM
gymkep
Stage IV

lucky you, I wish I had it

Old 07-27-2011 | 09:45 PM
J and M
Intermediate

Sounds like ABS is the way to go!!

Sorry to hear about the skid mark though! Ouch!

Old 07-28-2011 | 06:53 AM
Black_Hog
Road Captain

I’ve never had a bike with ABS before the 2010 Ultra. The day I picked up the bike my friend and I rode out to the beach. On the way back a woman was making a "RIGHT" turn and stopped in front of us. We were in the curb lane. I was on the right side. My buddy was riding his Dyna. We hit the brakes and prayed. My Ultra stopped behind the car. My buddy on the Dyna slid and had to pull into the empty left lane to avoid hitting the back of the car.

That was the first day on the bike and I was happy the Ultra came wit ABS.

Old 07-28-2011 | 07:03 AM
Ron750
Seasoned HDF Member

Originally Posted by dswansbiker
The ABS I was debating about spending the money on might have just saved my sorry *** today.

I was on a 2 lane highway with curves and hills sitting behind a big dual axle pickup with a load in the bed.

When the road straightened out enough to give me a passing opportunity I wound it up hard and swung out to pass. I just about **** my pants when I saw a car bearing down on me!! It had somehow been completely obscured from my vision?? I thought for sure I had a clear spot! I have never been fooled this badly in all my 40 years or riding.

I had to clamp on the brakes HARD to get back in behind the truck and both wheels went into ABS mode. The bike behaved perfectly, and although the ABS was busily doing its thing it was completely controllable. All I can say is that it made the whole deal much less dramatic, and felt eerily easy to pull off.

I am not sure how well it would have ended without the ABS saving my stupid *** today. I ended up with only a skidmark in my shorts, and I was damn happy!
When was your last eye exam?

Old 07-28-2011 | 07:18 AM
KutenFLHX
Road Captain

I got ABS when I got my Street Glide and now will not buy a bike without it. It's saved my *** a couple times in similar situations.