Touring Models Road King, Road King Custom, Road King Classic, Road Glide, Street Glide, Electra Glide, Electra Glide Classic, and Electra Glide Ultra Classic bikes.
Sponsored by:
Sponsored by:

Thank You ABS!!

Search this Thread

Old 07-27-2011 | 08:54 AM
jamesroadking
Road Warrior

A few months back, I was riding with a three other bikes, I was up front on the curb side, on a 2010 Limited with ABS, Randy on my left was another 2010 Ultra with ABS. We had to some hard braking doing about 65, some jerk off stopped in front of us with no brake lights or turn signal on a two lane. Bob riding behind us on a 2002 Ultra slid, with tires squealing right between us and almost rear ended the car. I not sure if the our ABS even activated, but the Brembo brakes that the newer bikes have sure work better that those older single piston caliper with that skinny *** 130 rear tire on the older bikes. After that we decided that the older bikes should ride up front in the group.

Old 07-27-2011 | 08:59 AM
Geoff
Seasoned HDF Member

Originally Posted by dougbk
After riding a bike with abs I will never buy a new one without it.
Same here.

Old 07-27-2011 | 09:08 AM
Very High Plain Drifter
Outstanding HDF Member

Originally Posted by KSRoadKing
I will also be one that won't buy another bike without ABS. I just can't understand why someone would not want it.
Because it wasn't on bikes in the '70s and everything modern is rubbish and Harley are lagging technologically and I don't trust it and it's probably made in foreign and I'm such a hardass that I don't need it or a helmet or any pants.

Old 07-27-2011 | 09:11 AM
'05Train
Ultimate HDF Member

Originally Posted by Very High Plain Drifter
Because it wasn't on bikes in the '70s and everything modern is rubbish and Harley are lagging technologically and I don't trust it and it's probably made in foreign and I'm such a hardass that I don't need it or a helmet or any pants.
You forgot, "and I'm a better rider than you".

Old 07-27-2011 | 10:24 AM
XARAN
Stellar HDF Member

Originally Posted by CoastlineAmps
Is it safe to try out the ABS brakes now and then? I am just afraid that I would not be able to control the bike.
IMO if you dont go out and find a safe place to develop your riding skills you will get into trouble.

Either take a Safety Class or go find a parking lot to practice some basic safety. Try hard braking (to engage the ABS) from 20 - 30 -40 -50-60-70 miles per hr until you are comfortable and have a good idea how much room you need to stop. There is so much to prctice to improve your chances of surviving on the road with "blind, unskilled drivers"

Old 07-27-2011 | 10:31 AM
NoBoldRider
Road Master

I've had the misfortune to test my ABS a few times in the last 20,000 miles. No drama, except for some chattering, just stopped. I luv em.

Old 07-27-2011 | 10:38 AM
blarg
Road Captain

Originally Posted by CoastlineAmps
Is it safe to try out the ABS brakes now and then? I am just afraid that I would not be able to control the bike.
Sure!

I'd just go out into the twisties, get into a deep turn about 20 MPH too fast, jam on the brakes and see what happens!

report back on how it went.

Old 07-27-2011 | 11:40 AM
CoastlineAmps
Cruiser

I took the safety course but they did not teach you how to use ABS or hard braking. But of course the safety course was a long time ago and on a military installation so it might have changed. I did do ABS braking this morning and it works like a champ. I just never tried it until now. This is my first bike with ABS....Now I am loving it......

Old 07-27-2011 | 12:24 PM
SixSixRider
Club Member

The universality of this high regard for ABS is amazing, as typically views are mixed on most topics. I moved from an '06 Road King to an '09 Road Glide a few years back and did NOT get ABS. Doh! I've made many mods and have the bike fitting me just as I want it. Can the brake system be upgraded to achieve full ABS? Of course, anything is possible with enough $$, so I should add "...at a reasonable cost?" I've seen valve stems which claim to achieve ABS performance, but I'm not convinced or would put my a$$ on the line with them.

Old 07-27-2011 | 12:44 PM
SciFiGuy
Road Master

Add me to the "I'll never own another bike without ABS" list. It's also saved my @ss a couple of times already.

Man I remember the threads that came out when ABS was first introduced and it was alot different back then.

Quick Reply: Thank You ABS!!