Touring Models Road King, Road King Custom, Road King Classic, Road Glide, Street Glide, Electra Glide, Electra Glide Classic, and Electra Glide Ultra Classic bikes.
Sponsored by:
Sponsored by:

Thank You ABS!!

Search this Thread

Old 07-26-2011 | 08:03 PM
dswansbiker
|
Road Warrior

Right now, I would kiss the engineer's furry behind that came up with Harley's ABS system. It's that good!

Old 07-26-2011 | 08:05 PM
dswansbiker
|
Road Warrior

Originally Posted by CoastlineAmps
Can you apply both front and rear ABS at same time and remain in control?
Completely. That was me today.

Old 07-26-2011 | 08:10 PM
CoastlineAmps
Cruiser

Nice. Glad I have ABS. Will try tomorrow at around 30 mph first and work up to 60 mph....

Old 07-26-2011 | 08:10 PM
'05Train
Ultimate HDF Member

Can you apply both front and rear ABS at same time and remain in control?
Yes.

I have a brand-spankin' new rear tire that (until today) wasn't all the way scrubbed in. When I hit the rear brake, the wheel locked and the back end started to swerve. The ABS activated and kept the rear tire spinning, which ultimately saved my bacon.

People can talk all kinds of **** about how great their skills are, but when TSHTF, everything goes out the window. I was 100% convinced I was either going to high-side or hit the truck. At no point did I consider "laying it down" to make the crash easier. ABS gives you the option to keep riding the bike and evade the crash. Had I been on my Night Train, I'd be dead, no question about it.

Old 07-26-2011 | 08:22 PM
bdp
Outstanding HDF Member

Nice. Glad I have ABS. Will try tomorrow at around 30 mph first and work up to 60 mph....

Just about a month ago, I made some 30 and 40 mph stops. Hit the front and rear hard as I could and came to a completely controllable stop.

btw at 30 mph got stopped in right at 30 foot. @ 40 mph got stopped in about 42 to 43 foot.

Thats the speed I run at here in my little town where I'm most likely to get run down and now I know what kinda space I need to shut her down.

Old 07-26-2011 | 08:26 PM
bdp
Outstanding HDF Member

Is it safe to try out the ABS brakes now and then? I am just afraid that I would not be able to control the bike.
When you do your test hang on or be prepared to slide forward off that seat and up the tank

Old 07-26-2011 | 08:34 PM
mikebaby
Road Master

Originally Posted by dswansbiker
The ABS I was debating about spending the money on might have just saved my sorry *** today.

I was on a 2 lane highway with curves and hills sitting behind a big dual axle pickup with a load in the bed.

When the road straightened out enough to give me a passing opportunity I wound it up hard and swung out to pass. I just about **** my pants when I saw a car bearing down on me!! It had somehow been completely obscured from my vision?? I thought for sure I had a clear spot! I have never been fooled this badly in all my 40 years or riding.

I had to clamp on the brakes HARD to get back in behind the truck and both wheels went into ABS mode. The bike behaved perfectly, and although the ABS was busily doing its thing it was completely controllable. All I can say is that it made the whole deal much less dramatic, and felt eerily easy to pull off.

I am not sure how well it would have ended without the ABS saving my stupid *** today. I ended up with only a skidmark in my shorts, and I was damn happy!
I'm glad you kept the rubber on the road in that situation. I had an oh **** moment last month also, that had it not been for my ABS, I may not be here right now.

mikebaby

Old 07-26-2011 | 08:41 PM
dbell66253
Ultimate HDF Member

I too am a believer and lover of ABS, I notice how much better the bike stops and how easy it is to control. Just recently while accellerating onto a Hwy in a misty rain I came up behind a car that had to be doing all of 20mph, no lights or anything, (forgot to mention it was night), anyway I had to grab a handfull of brake, (both front and rear), even though it was a little slippery out, the bike handled flawlessly, I love the ABS, don't leave home without it, will have it from now on.

Old 07-26-2011 | 08:53 PM
Wassup8687
Club Member

Shortly after I got the bike a dog ran out in front of me and the ABS did it's thing perfectly.

I was sold then and there.

Old 07-26-2011 | 10:45 PM
mgmmgm
Outstanding HDF Member

i have and do appreciate the ABS on my RKC

Quick Reply: Thank You ABS!!