Touring Models Road King, Road King Custom, Road King Classic, Road Glide, Street Glide, Electra Glide, Electra Glide Classic, and Electra Glide Ultra Classic bikes.
Sponsored by:
Sponsored by:

Questions about Sony deck and Biketronics kits

Search this Thread

Old 07-25-2011, 07:22 PM
Mixter
Road Warrior
Received 3 Likes on 2 Posts
Default Questions about Sony deck and Biketronics kits

1) Those that have Sony aftermarket decks with the iPod tray in their batwing fairing...how happy are you with the deck? I know Kenwood and Alpine etc... are better but I really like the iPod tray.
2) Who has the best price on the Hawgwire or Biketronics retro fit kits?

Thanks guys

Old 07-25-2011, 07:41 PM
PistonPuller
Ultimate HDF Member
Received 5 Likes on 5 Posts

I have the dsx-s100 and really like it. I used it for my Ipod, then I got an Iphone and put that in there. I like it because I dont have to worry about mounting it anywhere. Also it charges while riding. With the kits you can use handlebar controls. I think both kits are about same price. I got mine from biketronics. I actually spent a little more for the universal kit in case I didn't like the Sony and wanted to go with an alpine or kenwood. However I am happy with the Sony right now

Old 07-25-2011, 09:04 PM
Mixter
Road Warrior

So the universal works with the Sony as well?

Old 07-25-2011, 09:18 PM
vhmike73
Road Captain

Received 48 Likes on 41 Posts

double post...whoops

Last edited by vhmike73; 07-25-2011 at 09:21 PM.
Old 07-25-2011, 09:18 PM
vhmike73
Road Captain

Received 48 Likes on 41 Posts

I have the DSX-S200X in my fairing with the Biketronics kit, and I love it. The 200 will read ALL the files (1244) on my flash drive (I haven't actually used either of my iPods, a 160GB Classic and 32GB Touch, in there yet) without issue, whereas the DSX-S100 (which I also have, a refurbished model) seemed to only like a max of 500 (a limitation described in their documentation, but it says 500 per folder- creating more folders didn't seem to help). The three-line display is great; you can actually keep a clock display with tune info! Though it IS hard to read in direct sunlight, at night it is clear and not too bright at all. The S200X allows more customization to the sound than the S100 thanks to a 7-band equalizer and different preset soundfields. I also like the ability to switch the color from blue to red- it makes it far less distracting at night, and makes watching the indicator bar easier (no more wondering if I left my highbeam on because of the bright blue Sony lighting). As for speakers, I opted for the Kuryakyn Kicker 875 drop-in kit, and I think it sounds very good. Perhaps an amp is in the future, but for now, this setup works for me.

My only issue is my Biketronics BT1002 control module goes whacky every now and then, flaring the volume up real high then back to a few levels below where it started for no reason, such as approaching a stoplight or intersection, slowing down, etc. I called Biketronics' help line during business hours, got their voicemail and have yet to hear back from them. Otherwise, it seems to work a little better with the S200X than the refurb S100- the "volume flaring" happened far more often with the S100, and it didn't seem to respond as well to the AVC input from the controller. The "dash kit" portion is rather cheap looking- from pictures the HawgWired kit seems much nicer, but the BT kit works well enough.

Once I can figure out what the problem with the controller is that makes it flare the volume for no apparent reason, I'll be perfectly pleased!

Old 07-25-2011, 09:44 PM
Mixter
Road Warrior

Thanks for the great info vhmike

Old 07-25-2011, 10:39 PM
PistonPuller
Ultimate HDF Member
Received 5 Likes on 5 Posts

I had that similar problem with the volume. I disabled the avc and it stopped. Also that plug in the back has to be all the way in and facing up.

Old 07-26-2011, 10:29 PM
DougM
Tourer
Received 0 Likes on 0 Posts

Love the Sony deck with Tune Tray! Got the Sirius setup also.

https://www.hdforums.com/forum/touri...oad-glide.html

Old 08-23-2011, 07:17 AM
1sweetglide08
Outstanding HDF Member
Received 2 Likes on 2 Posts

I have the DSX S200X. Great deck for the money. The DSX S200 also has a usb on the outside, so could really have 2 usb devices connected the same time.

Old 08-23-2011, 07:26 AM
wolfman 66
Road Captain
Received 6 Likes on 5 Posts

I have the DSX ms60 with Biketronics kit. Works great.

Quick Reply: Questions about Sony deck and Biketronics kits