Notices
Touring Models Road King, Road King Custom, Road King Classic, Road Glide, Street Glide, Electra Glide, Electra Glide Classic, and Electra Glide Ultra Classic bikes.
Sponsored by:
Sponsored by:

FYI, Oil Slicks

Search this Thread

Old 07-25-2011, 09:20 AM
DanDil
Cruiser
Received 2 Likes on 1 Post
Default FYI, Oil Slicks

We all know about the hazards of oil on the roads when it gets wet out. And I do think about it every time I ride in the rain. But when it is dry, the thought never enters my mind. That changed yesterday. I was returning home from a trip, on the interstate and decided to get a fill up and take a break. At the end of the exit ramp where everyone stops at the stop sign, a car must have been dropping oil in a big way. And as cars kept exiting and stopping at the stop sign, the cars kept spreading the oil as they drove through it; leaving an oil slick about 15 feet long by 4 feet wide. Here I come, down the ramp to come to a stop. When my tires hit that slick, I was down instantly. It happened so fast I don’t remember falling. All I remember is breaking for the end of the ramp and then the sound of the bike grinding on the cement as I slid to a stop on my ***. As soon as my tires hit that slick, I lost all traction…it was like ice. The rear tire came out from under me and the bike slid on its side about 10 feet on its “Crash Bars”. Amazingly no damage; not a scratch on the bike anywhere except for the grind marks on the lower side of the front and rear crash bars (RKC). Bewildered as to what just happened, I ran my hand across the cement and my fingers were black with oil. I think the car that dropped the oil, did so within the previous 20 minutes, because the cement was still wet with oil. Then I though to my self, why didn’t I see that. Well this exit was a very busy exit (outlet mall & fast foods) with lots of traffic, cars, semi’s and as I stood back and looked, the slick just blended in with all of the scars heavy traffic inflicts on pavement at a busy exit on an interstate. Thinking back, it may have been a good thing I went down; if I stayed up, I would have slid through the stop into traffic. So, be careful out there everyone. Don’t take a nice sunny 70 degree day for granted.

Old 07-25-2011, 09:28 AM
rhlhamlet
Road Captain
Received 8 Likes on 3 Posts

Good advice and good story.... Glad you handled it well.

Old 07-25-2011, 10:41 AM
deanp1964
Road Master
Received 0 Likes on 0 Posts

Originally Posted by rhlhamlet
Good advice and good story.... Glad you handled it well.
my thoughts as well.
thanks for posting

Old 07-25-2011, 10:45 AM
Arizona
Ultimate HDF Member
Received 13 Likes on 10 Posts

Yeah im really paranoid about stuff like that. Or coolant spills from traffic accidents or overheating cars. That stuff is super slippery.

Old 07-25-2011, 10:52 AM
turnerbend
Road Captain
Received 17 Likes on 4 Posts

Good post. Have to be mindful of all conditions, especially at intersections.

Old 07-25-2011, 10:55 AM
Bigdaddy10
Advanced

What's a 70 degree day?

Old 07-25-2011, 11:51 AM
lionsm13
Seasoned HDF Member
Received 73,197 Likes on 22,071 Posts

Glad you or the bike didn't get too banged up. That is why we have the crash guards.

Old 07-25-2011, 12:17 PM
Jags93
Road Master
Received 3 Likes on 3 Posts

Glad you and the bike are ok. The oil must have been new. If it was dirty or spilled some days ago it would have been black. Your right, it must have just happened.

Old 07-25-2011, 12:28 PM
longrideshields-1
Premium Sponsor
Received 82 Likes on 49 Posts

Glad you are okay and no damage to your King. That's always a plus. Dangers everywhere. That's why I like to stay on either side of my lane. The middle makes me nervous where all the car engines are. Obviously, with it spread out as much as you said it was, I'd be screwed anyway.

General Inquiries:
Info@LongRideShields.com
Sales and Marketing:
Sales@LongRideShields.com
Phone:

Old 07-25-2011, 12:37 PM
Cme2c
Tourer

It probably wasn't a factor in this case, but this is a good reason not to wear polarized sun glasses when riding, as they eliminate the shiny glare off of slick spots on the road surface, making them less likely to be noticed.

Quick Reply: FYI, Oil Slicks