Touring Models Road King, Road King Custom, Road King Classic, Road Glide, Street Glide, Electra Glide, Electra Glide Classic, and Electra Glide Ultra Classic bikes.
Sponsored by:
Sponsored by:

Fix-A-Flat got me home, now what?

Search this Thread

Old 07-25-2011, 07:40 AM
Baffler1
Road Warrior
Received 3 Likes on 3 Posts

there is no question here - REPLACE IT NOW & BE SAFE!

Old 07-25-2011, 08:03 AM
Jags93
Road Master

Originally Posted by geezer glide 56
It is very possible that if the tire was ridden any distance extremely low on air pressure or flat...It will have broken cords in the tire...causing bulges or knots on the tire...But obviously not in this case...I have seen it many times before.
You won't know if there is tire damage until you take it off. I had brand new tires on my minivan. Picked up a nail a week after the install. We lost pressure very quickly and drove an 1/8 mile or so on a completely flat tire. The tire looked great on the outside but when the shop took it off it was full of rubber shavings from the rim riding on it. The shop manager refused to repair it for liability reasons so we had to buy a new one.

Maybe the lighter weight of the bike won't cause the rubbing but you never know. At the very least you must get that slime out.

Old 07-25-2011, 08:25 AM
jjnoble
Outstanding HDF Member
Received 5 Likes on 5 Posts

Originally Posted by Jags93
You won't know if there is tire damage until you take it off. I had brand new tires on my minivan. Picked up a nail a week after the install. We lost pressure very quickly and drove an 1/8 mile or so on a completely flat tire. The tire looked great on the outside but when the shop took it off it was full of rubber shavings from the rim riding on it. The shop manager refused to repair it for liability reasons so we had to buy a new one.

Maybe the lighter weight of the bike won't cause the rubbing but you never know. At the very least you must get that slime out.

I agree with this statement. You don't know if there is any damage until you take it apart and look, and you do need to clean the fix a flat out, do not leave it there it will cause problems in the future. If there is no damage then the tire is still good. Don't throw a new tire away because of a bad valve stem.

While you are at it, replace that valve stem too.

Old 07-25-2011, 08:42 AM
SIDECAR BOB
Road Master
Received 14 Likes on 14 Posts

Originally Posted by geezer glide 56
It is very possible that if the tire was ridden any distance extremely low on air pressure or flat...It will have broken cords in the tire...causing bulges or knots on the tire...But obviously not in this case...I have seen it many times before.
this would be my main cause to replace the tire too , if it was run that low on air it could have caused a lot of damage internally and cause the tire to fail aat a really really bad time in a really really bad way.

Old 07-25-2011, 09:28 AM
Bleachey
Tourer
Received 0 Likes on 0 Posts

Flat tire caused me to go down. I would not take any chances. In a car you have 3 other tires, a bike you don't. I don't think the $300 or so it would cost to have a new tire installed is worth risking a mishap.

Old 07-25-2011, 09:33 AM
FLUltrarider
Road Warrior

The propellant used in that stuff is corrosive as all get out. Will eat up the tire if leftt in there. As everyone else has stated get in the shop and get it properly repaired or replaced. I'd go out right now and deflate the tire and get normal air in it. It's a lot better to fix it right than be stranded on a trip, or worse.

Old 07-25-2011, 09:40 AM
MattInFla
Road Master
Received 1 Like on 1 Post

Time for the new product available from Dunlop: replace-a-tire

Old 07-25-2011, 01:00 PM
speakerfritz
Road Warrior

the only thing I agree with here is to remove the flat fix compound......tires do not balance well with this stuff in it......sure you might have to replace the valve pin....but replace the whole tire....thats a first heard

Old 07-25-2011, 01:13 PM
SG Mike
Road Master
Received 1 Like on 1 Post

Since you've already committed to replacing the tire I won't wade in on that but I do have to say that there are too many people on here who would gamble their lives for a lousy $300 dollars. Why take a trip and have to think about that tire the whole time? My a$$ is worth more then that but hey that's just me...

Mike

Old 07-25-2011, 01:29 PM
jerryleon
Cruiser

new tire !!! NOW !!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!

Quick Reply: Fix-A-Flat got me home, now what?