Touring Models Road King, Road King Custom, Road King Classic, Road Glide, Street Glide, Electra Glide, Electra Glide Classic, and Electra Glide Ultra Classic bikes.
Sponsored by:
Sponsored by:

Adjustable backrest removal

Search this Thread

Old 07-24-2011, 04:16 PM
Sandcrab
Stellar HDF Member
Received 392 Likes on 232 Posts
Default Adjustable backrest removal

Took me 4 hours, but installed the adjustable back rest for my 09 Ultra, and got to the point where it says to install the seat and the backrest to determine where the anti-scuff pad should be located. Did that, but can't get it off to see if it is rubbing anywhere. How do you reach down inside and release the seat back?

Is the scuff pad that critical?

If you are on short rides, and don't want to appear to be a *****, do you just put the backrest in the tour pack, or keep it at home until you go on a long ride?

Is the backrest supposed to be so sloppy?

Old 07-24-2011, 05:02 PM
HDV-GLIDE
Elite HDF Member
Received 44 Likes on 30 Posts

Originally Posted by Sandcrab
Took me 4 hours, but installed the adjustable back rest for my 09 Ultra, and got to the point where it says to install the seat and the backrest to determine where the anti-scuff pad should be located. Did that, but can't get it off to see if it is rubbing anywhere. How do you reach down inside and release the seat back?

Is the scuff pad that critical?

If you are on short rides, and don't want to appear to be a *****, do you just put the backrest in the tour pack, or keep it at home until you go on a long ride?

Is the backrest supposed to be so sloppy?
Reach into the seat slot and there's a small spring catch on the slot where the backrest inserts into. flip it and pull the backrest up and out of the seat slit. the catch is on the left if your looking at the backrest from the front of the bike..I used some black gorilla tape and padded the areas that were "sloopy"... You just have to do some trail & error to get the tape in the correct areas. Mine is tight now and no rattling. I had a rattle that drove me crazy for months and finally realized that when my back was not against the backrest, the whole top section was rattling inside the attachment slot.

Old 07-24-2011, 08:17 PM
Sandcrab
Stellar HDF Member
Default Which slot

Originally Posted by HDV-GLIDE
Reach into the seat slot and there's a small spring catch on the slot where the backrest inserts into. flip it and pull the backrest up and out of the seat slit. the catch is on the left if your looking at the backrest from the front of the bike..I used some black gorilla tape and padded the areas that were "sloopy"... You just have to do some trail & error to get the tape in the correct areas. Mine is tight now and no rattling. I had a rattle that drove me crazy for months and finally realized that when my back was not against the backrest, the whole top section was rattling inside the attachment slot.
Are you talking about the slot at the bottom of my seat, or the slot where the backrest bracket slides into??

My rattles like crazy now, and the bracket is loose in the mechanism and the pad is loose on the top where the pin is.

Old 07-24-2011, 08:31 PM
glide2meetu
Road Warrior
Received 5 Likes on 5 Posts

He's talking about the slot in the seat.

Mine rattles too on top where the pin is also.

Old 07-24-2011, 08:49 PM
HDV-GLIDE
Elite HDF Member

Pull the material up so you can see the pin assembly....Pad the contact points with ( I used Gorilla tape) or something like it. A little time and experimenting and yours will be rattle free also.

Old 07-25-2011, 06:03 AM
Sandcrab
Stellar HDF Member
Default Which slot

[QUOTE=glide2meetu;8612979]He's talking about the slot in the seat.
/QUOTE]

My seat has two slots, one forward and one aft. The forward one is open, the aft one has the bracket coming out. When I reach into the forward one, I can't seem to get my fingers on the clip release. Surely, you don't mean to reach into the same slot that has the metal backrest coming out, do you?

So I can only "assume" it is the forward one, so do you put your hand palm side up or palm side down to get to the release latch?

Old 07-25-2011, 06:18 AM
shortride
Ultimate HDF Member
Received 4 Likes on 4 Posts

It's the slot that the backrest goes into. If you stick your hand and fingers into the upper right side of the backrest slot you should be able to feel a spring loaded tab. Use the other hand to wiggle the backrest while depressing the spring loaded tab to release the backrest. If you can't find it or release the backrest you can removed the backrest pad from the support, remove the seat and to see where and how the release latch works.

My problem was that my hands are wide with short fingers which makes it difficult to access the latch. But with practice it's not as difficult to do.

Old 07-25-2011, 06:52 AM
Sandcrab
Stellar HDF Member

Originally Posted by shortride
It's the slot that the backrest goes into. If you stick your hand and fingers into the upper right side of the backrest slot you should be able to feel a spring loaded tab. Use the other hand to wiggle the backrest while depressing the spring loaded tab to release the backrest. If you can't find it or release the backrest you can removed the backrest pad from the support, remove the seat and to see where and how the release latch works.

My problem was that my hands are wide with short fingers which makes it difficult to access the latch. But with practice it's not as difficult to do.
Thanks, I will try that, I was reaching into the forward slot, and couldn't get there. What is the purpose of the forward slot then????

Old 07-25-2011, 07:01 AM
HDV-GLIDE
Elite HDF Member

Originally Posted by Sandcrab
Thanks, I will try that, I was reaching into the forward slot, and couldn't get there. What is the purpose of the forward slot then????
Your making this rocket science, it's not. What forward slot??? Put your hand on the backrest metal bar, slide your hand down into the seat slot and your feel the latch on the left side of the metal bar. It doesn't move much to unlock the metal bar from the assembly...

Old 07-25-2011, 07:56 AM
cdestuck
Supporter
Veteran: Marine Corp
Received 216 Likes on 102 Posts

I too cant figure out what forward slot your talkking about. Sure its a stock seat. Post a pic if ya can. And my backrest STAYS on. Call me a puss!

Quick Reply: Adjustable backrest removal