Touring Models Road King, Road King Custom, Road King Classic, Road Glide, Street Glide, Electra Glide, Electra Glide Classic, and Electra Glide Ultra Classic bikes.
Sponsored by:
Sponsored by:

Adjustable backrest removal

Search this Thread

Old 07-27-2011, 06:35 AM
HDV-GLIDE
Elite HDF Member
Received 44 Likes on 30 Posts

Originally Posted by Sandcrab
In my defense, the OEM pin is not held in by much, and any lateral movement will break it loose as I found out. I had to either buy another backrest with a new bar/pin, use the broken one in the lowest position, or fix the old one.

HDV-Glide, tell me what you think now?? I drilled out the three holes in the bracket and inserted a 1/4" screw from the front through both holes and inserted a collar on the screw end which locks with a set screw. See picture. The backrest can now be moved up and down and sits on the collar much like it did with the pin. The only difference is that the OEM pin locked the backrest so it would not move up/down with the pin installed, and my collar just uses gravity to keep it resting on the collar. I also took picture of the OEM pin and what looks like a circlip but isn't, it is a piece of the pin that broke off. It was a press fit into the bracket.
So can I help you with your cam install now???

Once your able to remove the backrest from its sleeve we'll talk...LOL

Old 07-27-2011, 06:45 AM
binkman78
Club Member
Received 0 Likes on 0 Posts

Inserted the wrong picture, here is the picture of the pin and metal broken off.
Ahhh, I see the problem - that shudda been a beer can, not a coffee mug in the pic.

Old 07-27-2011, 06:49 AM
jeffreydsilver
Ultimate HDF Member
Received 165 Likes on 114 Posts
Default Rocket Science!

Originally Posted by HDV-GLIDE
Your making this rocket science, it's not. What forward slot??? Put your hand on the backrest metal bar, slide your hand down into the seat slot and your feel the latch on the left side of the metal bar. It doesn't move much to unlock the metal bar from the assembly...
WOW - not trying to be a wise a**, but, are you kidding around? If you installed the backrest (IN 4 HOURS?) how could you possibly have a hard time removing the metal bar from the assembly? Move the bar to a neutral position where the bar isn't pushing against any part of the seat and push the release!
CAMS NEXT? - OMG!!!

Last edited by jeffreydsilver; 07-27-2011 at 06:52 AM.
Old 07-27-2011, 07:03 AM
Sandcrab
Stellar HDF Member
Received 392 Likes on 232 Posts
Default Pict of two slots

Originally Posted by cdestuck
I too cant figure out what forward slot your talkking about. Sure its a stock seat. Post a pic if ya can. And my backrest STAYS on. Call me a puss!
I am posting the picture so you could see the two slots, one of which is for the back rest which I knew, but I thought two days ago that the forward slot was to release the backrest, and that's why I was confused. NOW I know it is to let one loose while riding and you won't raise up.

That problem is solved, not rocket science now, and I can reach into the same slot to release the backrest bracket. All those problems are gone.

But what do you think of my fix??

Attached Thumbnails Adjustable backrest removal-dscn2630.jpg  
Old 07-27-2011, 07:25 AM
HDV-GLIDE
Elite HDF Member
Received 44 Likes on 30 Posts

I am posting the picture so you could see the two slots, one of which is for the back rest which I knew, but I thought two days ago that the forward slot was to release the backrest, and that's why I was confused. NOW I know it is to let one loose while riding and you won't raise up.

That problem is solved, not rocket science now, and I can reach into the same slot to release the backrest bracket. All those problems are gone.

But what do you think of my fix??
It saved you $100 +/- and it works...What else can you ask for....Hopefully you know I was just busting them, we all have those DUH moments from time to time....

Old 07-27-2011, 07:25 AM
sparky_mo
Club Member
Received 2 Likes on 2 Posts

Should have bought a Mustang backrest. Wouldn't have cost as much and no grief. But my suggestion is once on leave it on.

Old 07-27-2011, 07:52 AM
Sharp8318
5th Gear
Received 0 Likes on 0 Posts

.....and with the 'Mustang' backrest you get a little sparkle of chrome showing......i'm just saying.

Old 07-27-2011, 08:15 AM
jeffreydsilver
Ultimate HDF Member
Received 165 Likes on 114 Posts
Default DUH Moment!

Sorry about that. Now that you posted a pic I see the forward "hole" you refered to. That my friend is a gas release slot! Happy Motoring!!