Touring Models Road King, Road King Custom, Road King Classic, Road Glide, Street Glide, Electra Glide, Electra Glide Classic, and Electra Glide Ultra Classic bikes.
Sponsored by:
Sponsored by:

Tour Pak Lid Organizer Adhesive????

Search this Thread

Old 07-24-2011, 10:56 AM
MareRider
Tourer
Received 5 Likes on 3 Posts

Originally Posted by FXSTS-88
Me too!
Got 4 1/4" fender washers and 4 1/4-20x1 1/4" buttonhead bolts.
Just used the glue strips to hold it in place while I drilled the holes and install the new fasteners.
Ain't going anywhere now.

Old 07-24-2011, 11:46 AM
Harsh1828
Tourer
Received 7 Likes on 6 Posts

Yep fender washers from the rack, mines been on since 2006 that way and I have quite a bit of stuff in it.

Old 07-24-2011, 12:12 PM
BezerkoBob
Road Master
Received 33 Likes on 32 Posts

In this heat, I don't think that any kind of "peel n' stick" adhesive is going to work very well. We have been in a heat wave in the midwest for a while now. And although I do not have the tourpack lid organizer, I do have a 7" square mirror mounted to the tourpack lid, which weighs next to nothing. I used Harley adhesive velcro strips. The adhesive melted in the heat and the mirror fell off. Then I tried 3M automotive adhesive tape. It lasted longer but eventually succumbed to the heat also. Have not decided what to try next but momma wants her vanity mirror. So I'll have to figure something out soon.

Old 07-24-2011, 12:35 PM
iclick
Extreme HDF Member
Received 48 Likes on 32 Posts

Originally Posted by glide2005
There is several ways to do this.

1. Install a luggage rack and use the bolts to help hold it up. Thats what I did on my 05 EGC.

2. Cut it in 3 pieces and aply several strips of double stick tape, and stick it to the inside walls of the tour pak. The two sides and back side. Thats what I did to my current bike.
The first suggestion is the way to do it right, IMO. I tried 3M tape, the type designed for car molding, but even that didn't hold well for me in the long-run. I then tried Glide2005's idea of using the rack bolts with large washers and that was the ticket, but I also use the tape to keep the edges as flush as possible.

Old 07-24-2011, 02:06 PM
coolerman69
Road Warrior
Received 5 Likes on 5 Posts

As someone previously posted i too used industrial strength 2 1/2 wide Velcro. Used the double sided tape supplied with the organizer to stick to the back side of the velcro so its double stuck. Cleaned lid with electrical contact cleaner before sticking on velcro. We load our organizer with toiletries when on a trip then just rip it off and carry it into the hotel room. 1 less bag to pack. Been holding almost 4 years now.

Old 07-24-2011, 03:26 PM
swestbrook60
Outstanding HDF Member
Received 8 Likes on 5 Posts

Originally Posted by Punjabi HD
Luggage rack bolts for extra support is the only permanent solution I found so far everything else had limited life.
+1 Same here, every tape I tried failed eventually.

Old 07-24-2011, 03:54 PM
LADNAR
Tourer
Received 0 Likes on 0 Posts

I bought some and then read about how they fall down all the time. For 70 bucks, or whatever they cost me; I returned them and got some grips instead. They haven't fallen off once!

I love the idea of the lid organizers, but it sounds like the product needs re-engineered.

Old 07-24-2011, 05:06 PM
Jkey
Intermediate

3M VHB tape from McMaster Carr. Not cheap but have used this stuff to apply things to my truck and the saddle bag organiser. Neither have come off and the truck has gone through several summers and car washes. Good stuff.

Old 07-24-2011, 05:10 PM
themensh
Ultimate HDF Member
Received 56 Likes on 43 Posts

Originally Posted by LADNAR
I bought some and then read about how they fall down all the time. For 70 bucks, or whatever they cost me; I returned them and got some grips instead. They haven't fallen off once!

I love the idea of the lid organizers, but it sounds like the product needs re-engineered.

Someone may have mentioned tour pack rack bolts to help hold the organizer. LOL
I painted my washers black...and have had NO problems with it. No need to
re-engineer. If you are carrying extra crap in your tour pack, you probably will need
the tour pack rack sometime in the future....

chuck the mensh

Old 07-26-2011, 04:10 PM
retdet1270
6th Gear

Thanks to all for the help. I'll let you know how I make out.

Quick Reply: Tour Pak Lid Organizer Adhesive????