Touring Models Road King, Road King Custom, Road King Classic, Road Glide, Street Glide, Electra Glide, Electra Glide Classic, and Electra Glide Ultra Classic bikes.
Sponsored by:
Sponsored by:

New slip-ons/pipes~options

Search this Thread

Old 07-23-2011, 11:15 AM
Harleybike
Tourer
Received 0 Likes on 0 Posts
Default New slip-ons/pipes~options

So, I have been reading about slip-ons /pipes for a couple weeks, first as a guest and now as a new member and a new first time HD owner, 2010 EG classic, being delivered on Tues.

This is a huge community and So many options for these bikes. Simply, if there is such a thing...lol. I want this bike to sound better, rumble as an HD should. What are good options to get a great sound to the point where I don't have to have it re-tuned? Of course there may more mods in near future so these pipes would have to be able to grow with the future mods.

I have seen and heard a lot about Rush slip-ons being tossed around, that you can use diff size baffles. 1.75 in and 2.00 supposedly don't need a tuner?

Is there a "better" combo in regards to this particular bike? Slip-ons, full system, true duals?

The first thing I wanna is this mod.

Ideas, opinions, suggestions.

Old 07-23-2011, 12:43 PM
Hrlyrider
Road Captain
Received 2 Likes on 2 Posts

It's all a matter of what sound you want. Listen to others and ask what ones they have. But remember you have cats in your exhaust so they will not sound the same as a bike without cats. I would go true dual losing the cats and your choice of slip ons. I have the V&H big shot duals they do not use slip ons they are one piece and loud. I think you will be happiest if you did put a fuel management system on because the bike will run better and a lot cooler. Just my opinion.

Old 07-23-2011, 02:01 PM
ckduallie
Cruiser
Received 2 Likes on 2 Posts

I am going through the same issues you are/will be. I have a 2011 Ultra Limited and wanted a bit more HD rumble. I put on the Vance and Hines Power Duals and Night Rider FLH Vieds. This got rid of my cat/stock pipe and that heat generating issue and the Vied allows me to make my air fuel ratio a little richer and this gets rid of the high engine temps and pinging. The bike runs much cooler and there is a little more rumble with the cat removed. I still want to add slip ons and an intake but I am not sure what ones yet. For the time being I am extremely happy with the bike and now I have resolved the heat issues and made it a little louder.

Old 07-23-2011, 02:08 PM
'05Train
Ultimate HDF Member
Received 883 Likes on 439 Posts

I'm very, very happy with the 4" Jackpots and coated head pipe.

Old 07-23-2011, 02:47 PM
Harleybike
Tourer

Originally Posted by Hrlyrider
It's all a matter of what sound you want. Listen to others and ask what ones they have. But remember you have cats in your exhaust so they will not sound the same as a bike without cats. I would go true dual losing the cats and your choice of slip ons. I have the V&H big shot duals they do not use slip ons they are one piece and loud. I think you will be happiest if you did put a fuel management system on because the bike will run better and a lot cooler. Just my opinion.

I have V&H big shots staggered on my current Yamaha RS Warrior. Luv, luv, luv them...

When you say fuel management system, you are talking a tuner of some sort yes? I wanted to stay away from that (for now) and just get some noise outta the bike from the get go with just a slip on perhaps, but if I's gonna do true duals and or something else that requires tuning, might not wanna spend the $ on slip ons right now if I'm gonna go further with tuners and diff pipes I presume?

Old 07-23-2011, 06:01 PM
Punjabi Rider
Grand HDF Member
Received 245 Likes on 194 Posts

Our 07 and 08 Ultras have V&H Ovals and Monster Ovals respectively and both are TDs,Ovals are louder and Monsters are deeper sounding slipons.I would recommend least StageI and HD software flash to get the most out of your investment .With stock headers neither one will be too loud cause I assume there is a cat in there.Take your time and listen to others system to see which one you like the best, every one will tell you how good their system is but may be not good enough for every body that's why there are so many choices out there.

Old 07-23-2011, 06:27 PM
Harleybike
Tourer

Ok, yea I know there are so many options. Guess it's something I will be patient about and get the right thing( for me) instead of rushing into it just to get a quick sound (fix) for my ears...Lol.

Old 07-26-2011, 11:23 AM
Harleybike
Tourer

Anyone have on their bike or have an opinion on the V&H Big Shot duals with fuel pak and ytbd air cleaner? Is this a good combo for my bike? Are duals ok for theses bikes or should it still be 2-1-2? What happens to the O2 sensors on new pipes without the cats?

Old 07-28-2011, 05:16 PM
Harleybike
Tourer

*Bump

Old 07-28-2011, 05:34 PM
TCannon22
Tourer

You'll lose a little torque with true duals vs. a 2-1-2 from what I've read.
Most new head pipes you buy will have bungs for your O2 sensors.
I've had bad luck with the V&H fuel pack but others love them.

Either way, you will not get any real good sound improvement with the cats in the stock head pipe. I have Rinehart 3.5" slip ons on my bike now. Made a slight improvement in sound over the stock mufflers, but not what I wanted. I cut the baffles in half and still no difference. I even started it up with no baffles or end caps in the mufflers and it still sounded about the same.
Slip ons will give you a little better sound for the time being, but slip ons will almost always interchange with whatever head pipe you decide on down the road so you're not really throwing money away.
I'm in the process now of gutting my stock head pipe and removing the cat and I am also planning on a stage 1 A/C and Power Commander V from fuel moto.
check out youtube for sound clips or just check out as many bike nights or rally's that you can get to and wait for someone to have the sound you want, then ask away.
Most people enjoy telling you about their bikes.

Quick Reply: New slip-ons/pipes~options