Touring Models Road King, Road King Custom, Road King Classic, Road Glide, Street Glide, Electra Glide, Electra Glide Classic, and Electra Glide Ultra Classic bikes.
Sponsored by:
Sponsored by:

Amp and speaker wiring question

Search this Thread

Old 08-17-2011, 01:45 PM
vickers1
Road Warrior
Received 20 Likes on 11 Posts

You have 4 sets of speaker wires going into the amp, 2 sets in the left speaker side and 2 sets in the right speaker side.

Take the left side speaker wires out of the amp. and pulse the speakers with your battery (Make sure your positive (+) wire is on the small terminal on the battery and (-) wire is on the other one). Make sure when you pulse the speakers, the fairing speakers move toward the rear of the bike and the saddlebag speakers move up.

If any speaker moves the wrong way, switch the wires around (positive to negative and negative to positive). Do the same with the right side speakers.

If any speakers are wired out of phase, it will sound like crap.

Old 08-18-2011, 01:40 PM
Biggzed
Seasoned HDF Member
Received 274 Likes on 172 Posts

Originally Posted by mkguitar
Zach you are correct for the phase check, but I think at this point we have narrowed it down to sensitivity.

if you phase check:

power off, because testing this way we are still connected to the amp through the speaker wires- if the fairing were off, we would disconnect from the amp, that is preferable

briefly, like momentarily- as long as you have the battery + the same way each time you test, you are ok.

9 volt battery, because that is easy ( we all have them and the terminals match the spacing on speaker terminals) --- less voltage works fine too, if you have a worn out 9 volt use that--- or you can short out a 9 volt to drain it ------ snap 2 together, makes "Canadian Hand Warmer"

yes matching sensitivity.

Now, sensitivity is measured at 1 kiloHertz.

If you can listen to the speakers ( like car audio display) and make sure they have somewhat even response.

Mike

phase check 2: i sometimes use a flashlight through the grill to see what the speakers are doing- playing music with a strong pulse will often let you feel the pulses with your hands in front of the speakers you can feel if in sync

I also have test equipment that I use for very complex systems ( I can input pulses and check phasing all the way through multiple devices) - the above works for quick checks on simple systems

If L and R speakers are not in phase, overall bass will be reduced, and when your head is exactly centered betwenn them, you will hear the sound drop out as if your ears are blocked---- if you move your head side to side a few inches it will sound as if each ear is being blocked in turn as you sway---- I often hear this in retail stores from their in house music systems--- what's really sad ( Fry's) is if they are selling audio equipment
Phase test complete. Both move forward when voltage applied. Going to pick up a pair of the Polk DXi690 which have an identical sensitivity rating to the Polk DXi525 I have in the front. Will report back when I have installed them, but I'm pretty optimistic it will be an improvement.

Thanks again Mike.

Zach

Old 09-23-2011, 12:13 AM
1sweetglide08
Outstanding HDF Member
Received 1 Like on 1 Post
Default Speakers

Originally Posted by Biggzed
Phase test complete. Both move forward when voltage applied. Going to pick up a pair of the Polk DXi690 which have an identical sensitivity rating to the Polk DXi525 I have in the front. Will report back when I have installed them, but I'm pretty optimistic it will be an improvement.

Thanks again Mike.

Zach
Looking to see if you have reported by...if the speakers were the problem???