Touring Models Road King, Road King Custom, Road King Classic, Road Glide, Street Glide, Electra Glide, Electra Glide Classic, and Electra Glide Ultra Classic bikes.
Sponsored by:
Sponsored by:

Kuryakyn ISO grips

Search this Thread

Old 07-22-2011, 06:27 PM
ultraherbie
Cruiser
Received 0 Likes on 0 Posts
Default Kuryakyn ISO grips

Had the dealer install Kuryakyn ISO grips when he install new handle bars. On the clutch side the grip is moving, Service writer is saying it is because it is a after market grip. Is he BS ing me? Should the glue the comes with the grips hold? I looked on Kuryakyn's web site and it said after 7 sec. the glue sets up. Let me have you thoughts.
PS want kind of glue is used with the grips?

Old 07-22-2011, 06:32 PM
luc.who
Outstanding HDF Member
Veteran: Navy
Received 30 Likes on 25 Posts

I have had them on my bike since 1500 miles, now 13K, and mine is not loose.

Old 07-22-2011, 06:41 PM
vickers1
Road Warrior
Received 20 Likes on 11 Posts

I've had the same problem in the past. Grip glue wouldn't hold. Superglue is the best I've found. A tip though: use gel, It'll give you a few more seconds. You only have a few seconds to get it in place before it sets up.

Old 07-22-2011, 06:47 PM
vwmark
Advanced

Rubber in the grip should flex a little but the grip should not rotate on the bar. If it is rotating they need to fix it.

Old 07-22-2011, 06:56 PM
VTwinPulse
Cruiser

I had a dealer put them on my Train a few years ago when they put new bars on. When I backed the bike up in front of the service guy the grip rotated and I was like WTF?! Really?! The service guy said, well there's no one here today to fix it, it was on a Sunday. I said give me a bottle of grip glue and put it on my tab. Did it my self and never had a problem after that. Still have the bottle.

Lesson 1 avoid the dealer if you can.

Lesson 2 do it yourself if you can.

It was my first Harley and experience with HD dealers.

Old 07-22-2011, 07:00 PM
mikeshog
Cruiser

had ISO grips on the last bike for 23,000 miles. All it needs is more glue with attention to getting the glue where the grip toches the bars. There are voids in the interior of the grip that when glue is applied there, it won't hold. My suggestion, find another dealer that knows what they are doing with all products, not just HD..

Old 07-22-2011, 07:02 PM
csbreeze
Road Warrior

I got them and love them. Not hard to install just use good glue and let cure 24 hours. In this head they will cure well.

Old 07-22-2011, 07:52 PM
Whiskers
Seasoned HDF Member
Received 101 Likes on 46 Posts

I had a friend sit on my bike and twist the left grip (she thought it was the throttle). Anyway, it came lose but I just used some of the glue the dealer gave me. Haven't had any problems with it since. As far as the Kury grips, I think you'll be real happy with them. Whatever bike I have in the future those are some of the first mods I'll put on it.

Old 07-22-2011, 08:01 PM
Dionicio
Outstanding HDF Member
Received 9 Likes on 6 Posts

I installed My own and the glue held very well on the left side. Had to cut if off. The reason I cut if off is because I was not satified with the fitment on the right side. The grip worked OK but it was a sloppy fit on the handle bar. Called Kury and they were no help, said thats how they fit. The damn thing actually rattled a little bit on startup. I got a pair of HD get a grip. Perfect fit and now I am Happy. (08 Ultra)

Old 07-22-2011, 08:05 PM
Jon0807
Tourer
Received 2 Likes on 2 Posts

I have them on my current bike and the left side doesn't move at all. The glue it came with is like cement!

Quick Reply: Kuryakyn ISO grips