Touring Models Road King, Road King Custom, Road King Classic, Road Glide, Street Glide, Electra Glide, Electra Glide Classic, and Electra Glide Ultra Classic bikes.
Sponsored by:
Sponsored by:

Guys looking at buying a 95 ULTRA CLASSIC ELECTRA GLIDE

Search this Thread

Old 07-21-2011, 05:44 PM
danf1973
Intermediate
Received 0 Likes on 0 Posts
Default Guys looking at buying a 95 ULTRA CLASSIC ELECTRA GLIDE

The bike is one owner 2nd if I buy it and has been taken care with the top end already rebuilt with new tires and is a beautiful blue. So what i'm asking is this a good bike for a person looking to do some short to long distance riding as well as doing any customized parts such as different hard bags and true dual exhaust (love the fish tail) look? what about the motor? Was that year a strong year? Please understand Ive been riding a beautiful Honda Shadow 95 VT1100C2 which rides like a dream but now have a chance to get a Harley and really like the bagger look=) Photo of the bike below.. Also he is asking 8K for it and I think he has 10,000 miles on the new top end.
Dan

Attached Thumbnails Guys looking at buying a 95 ULTRA CLASSIC ELECTRA GLIDE-3nf3k43l15y65w55s6b6n1b7f01873276129f.jpg  
Old 07-21-2011, 06:00 PM
Geezr Glidr
Grand HDF Member
Received 264 Likes on 131 Posts

Buddy of mine bought a 95 Ultra last summer. It's been a great ride for him. The only thing he doesn't like, is the fact that he doesn't have any cassette tapes anymore! Otherwise, ya might not know it's a 95 without inspecting it up close. Like it? Go for it, if you know it's been taken care of, and if you think you're not buying somebody else's headache. Can't tell you anything about the model year, problems, etc.

Old 07-21-2011, 06:11 PM
Lost1
Outstanding HDF Member
Received 9 Likes on 4 Posts

Good looking bike! If it's in good shape (maybe have a mechanic check it over) then I'd say go for it. The engine is an Evo (80 cu in, 1340 cc) and should prove to be reliable and fairly bullet-proof. (Plus Evo's have a nicer sound than TC's, IMO.) I know of many with 150k-200k miles on them with just basic maintenance. If everything is ship shape I'd jump on it in a second...

Old 07-21-2011, 06:13 PM
danf1973
Intermediate

Thanks guys, shouldn't I be able to remove the factory tape player and just install a cd player?

Old 07-21-2011, 06:24 PM
roadgliderick
Outstanding HDF Member
Received 5 Likes on 5 Posts

if u get the bike remember to warm it up cuz evos are known for base gasket leaks. other then that they are bullit proof very good motors.

The following users liked this post:
Tattooedchef23 (06-19-2022)
Old 07-21-2011, 06:24 PM
spaceage
Intermediate

I had a '95 FLHTCUI (Anniversary Edition) for several years and just sold it last winter. It was a great bike, and I loved it. The only warning I would offer is that if you're looking into customization, 1996 seems to be the magic year for accessories and add-ons. Harley made a bunch of changes to the frame/fairing/etc in 1996, and stuff for '95 and earlier can be hard to come by. Which isn't to say there isn't anything out there, much of the stuff specified for '96 and later will still work, but some flat out won't fit, and some requires some modification (and extensive swearing) to make work.

Seats, for example, were hard. Especially if you have designs on removing the Tour-Pak. The seat is attached to the Tour Pak mount, not the fender as they are on later bikes. So you'll have to come up with a solution there. Also the front mounting point of the seat is different than later bikes, the tongue is on the frame, and the slot is on the seat (it's opposite on the newer bikes), so a seat designed for a newer bike requires modification to fit, and it will never fit exactly right. [Edit: oops, just looked at the pic. The Tour-Pak won't be a problem, apparently.]

The other issue I had was that the air reservoir for the front shocks was located in the handlebars, which meant aftermarket bars were pretty much impossible, and grip selection was greatly narrowed, because the schrader valve was located in the end of the left grip. Probably worth looking at.

I replaced the stereo with a Biketronics Retro Radio kit, which gave me the option of listening to CDs or MP3s, but it also disabled the rear speaker pods and the CB unit (which was broken anyway so I didn't mind.)

All that being said, it was a great bike, and the guy who bought it from me loves it. Hope this helps.

Old 07-21-2011, 06:26 PM
Lost1
Outstanding HDF Member
Received 9 Likes on 4 Posts

Originally Posted by danf1973
Thanks guys, shouldn't I be able to remove the factory tape player and just install a cd player?
Yep!
Then put some loud fish tails on it and let that Evo sing!

Old 07-21-2011, 06:53 PM
Jac2930
Intermediate

I have a 95 roadking and love it. Bike runs great. I have had to changed the rocker box gaskets on mine cause of leaks but that is a simple job with the manual. If ur goin to buy a bike that old u have to be able to wrench on it. If your the type of person that takes it to a shop for every little problem it may end up costing u alot more In the long run.

Old 07-21-2011, 10:12 PM
danf1973
Intermediate

Originally Posted by spaceage
I had a '95 FLHTCUI (Anniversary Edition) for several years and just sold it last winter. It was a great bike, and I loved it. The only warning I would offer is that if you're looking into customization, 1996 seems to be the magic year for accessories and add-ons. Harley made a bunch of changes to the frame/fairing/etc in 1996, and stuff for '95 and earlier can be hard to come by. Which isn't to say there isn't anything out there, much of the stuff specified for '96 and later will still work, but some flat out won't fit, and some requires some modification (and extensive swearing) to make work.

Seats, for example, were hard. Especially if you have designs on removing the Tour-Pak. The seat is attached to the Tour Pak mount, not the fender as they are on later bikes. So you'll have to come up with a solution there. Also the front mounting point of the seat is different than later bikes, the tongue is on the frame, and the slot is on the seat (it's opposite on the newer bikes), so a seat designed for a newer bike requires modification to fit, and it will never fit exactly right. [Edit: oops, just looked at the pic. The Tour-Pak won't be a problem, apparently.]

The other issue I had was that the air reservoir for the front shocks was located in the handlebars, which meant aftermarket bars were pretty much impossible, and grip selection was greatly narrowed, because the schrader valve was located in the end of the left grip. Probably worth looking at.

I replaced the stereo with a Biketronics Retro Radio kit, which gave me the option of listening to CDs or MP3s, but it also disabled the rear speaker pods and the CB unit (which was broken anyway so I didn't mind.)

All that being said, it was a great bike, and the guy who bought it from me loves it. Hope this helps.

Well i'm going to take a better look at it Sunday and I think that all I would do is exhaust "dual" change out the tape player if not done already and some different saddle bags if they make them for that year =) So guys keep those fingers crossed for me......

Old 07-21-2011, 10:40 PM
spaceage
Intermediate

Bags should be no problem, they've not changed much in about 20 years. My '95 had fiberglass bags instead of ABS, but otherwise interchangeable with new bags, all the way up to '08 (I think). Exhaust should also not prove to be any major problem, I think in that regard the '95s are identical to '96s and newer (EVOs, anyway).

If you're going to change out the stereo, definitely look at Biketronics. Their module allows you to continue using your hand controls, which is really, really handy. Oh, one other thing I forgot to mention about the stereo- on the '95s the speakers are 4" and not 5" like the newer bikes, which means your speaker selection is pretty limited- , i.e. no Hogtunes. But Biketronics has upgrades available. They're better than the stock speakers, but not incredible by any stretch. Plan on fairly tinny sound, no matter what you put in there.

As mentioned by another poster, I did have to have my rocker box gaskets replaced, because they'd developed a small drip, but it was a pretty inexpensive repair (sub-$200, IIRC). There is some scuttle going around that dealers are refusing to work on EVOs these days, or flat out just don't know how, which I never found to be a problem at my local dealer, but might be worth looking into yours before you buy.

Good luck. I loved my '95. Hope it works out for you.

Quick Reply: Guys looking at buying a 95 ULTRA CLASSIC ELECTRA GLIDE