Touring Models Road King, Road King Custom, Road King Classic, Road Glide, Street Glide, Electra Glide, Electra Glide Classic, and Electra Glide Ultra Classic bikes.
Sponsored by:
Sponsored by:

HD's Heated Gloves with Microwire™® heating technology - any good?

Search this Thread

Old 07-22-2011 | 08:40 AM
Morris9982
Road Captain

I've been riding for many years and made the decision this spring to finally buy some heated clothing.

I got the Gerbing T5 gloves along with their jacket liner and a dual controller. I bought the T5 because of the extra padding on the knuckles for protection and I wanted a longer glove because I thought they would keep me warmer.

I've had bikes with heated grips and can tell you from my experience that heated gloves are much better. They heat your entire hand including the back of your fingers and keep my hands very comfortable. Granted, I did not ride in freezing temperatures, but I really like them. The jacket liner helps quite a bit also.

Good luck in whatever you decide to buy.

Old 07-22-2011 | 11:03 AM
iclick
Extreme HDF Member

This may not be related to the OP's question about gloves, but I bought the HD microwire jacket liner (made by Gerbings) about 2½ years ago when Chicago HD had a 25%-off sale on one item. With the discount it was cheaper than the Gerbings without the microwire technology, but when I got it the glove wiring would short the glove circuit and repeatedly blow the fuse. It was a problem with the glove wiring, not the microwire design. I got another jacket and the next winter when I first started using it, it started blowing fuses intermittently, this time from the jacket wiring. I'm on my third liner and it has been fine so far after about 18 months, but we don't wear them too often in S. LA.

I would hope the microwire technology has matured in the past few years since first introduced. The good news is that the wiring is warranted for life, or at least is with my HD jacket and Gerbings gloves. FWIW, Gerbings honors the warranty on HD heated gear.

Last edited by iclick; 07-22-2011 at 11:41 AM.
Old 07-22-2011 | 11:32 AM
pastorralph
Road Captain

I've found that you don't want the gloves to fit too closely or otherwise you open yourself to near burns on your hands. For me a pair of silk liners took care of the problem. Now, I don't have the thermostat, so that could be my problem.

Old 07-22-2011 | 04:29 PM
fat_tony
Ultimate HDF Member

Originally Posted by pastorralph
I've found that you don't want the gloves to fit too closely or otherwise you open yourself to near burns on your hands. For me a pair of silk liners took care of the problem. Now, I don't have the thermostat, so that could be my problem.
That's why you need a temperature controller. Unless the heating elements are pressed against your skin there will not be efficient heat transfer.

Old 07-22-2011 | 05:03 PM
sanlyn
Road Master

You're going to spend less on the "gerbing-labeled" gloves, and they're the same manufacturer. Gerbing has a "close out" site online that has good deals if you see something you need. I picked up a heated vest on that site.

Old 07-22-2011 | 05:43 PM
oasis03
Cruiser

I left Norman Oklahoma going to Dayton this year and it was 24 degrees and it did not get above freezing till Shreveport La. Gerber gloves, jacket liner and socks. Dual controller is a must. The ride was very pleasant.

Old 07-22-2011 | 06:09 PM
terryrh
Elite HDF Member

Looks to me like they're worth a try...may pick some up myself.