Touring Models Road King, Road King Custom, Road King Classic, Road Glide, Street Glide, Electra Glide, Electra Glide Classic, and Electra Glide Ultra Classic bikes.
Sponsored by:
Sponsored by:

Sounds Kinda Fishy. Think I Need Another Tuner

Search this Thread

Old 07-21-2011 | 11:36 AM
Geezr Glidr
|
Grand HDF Member
Default Sounds Kinda Fishy. Think I Need Another Tuner

I have Rinehart True Duals on my new 103 Ltd Ultra. I've never felt so much heat in my life. Dealership told me that they'll fix it when they finish tuning it at my 1K service. Does this sound right? Finish tuning it? Shouldn't it have been on a dyno & tuned before I picked it up? Do they put it back on the dyno at 1K service also? Anyway, got it back after 1K service. No different. Still hotter than blazes. I gotta do something about that heat, but I think I need to go somewhere else. It's got to be still way too lean. Anybody know a good tuner in N. Central or Central PA, who might be able to take care of this?

Old 07-21-2011 | 11:49 AM
pargenz
Outstanding HDF Member

Did you replace the head pipe? If not, you're still getting a good bit of heat from the catalytic converter. You can remove the cat or just replace headers to eliminate it.
That, and the bike is really running lean to meet EPA guidelines, producing more heat.

If they tuned it, did that just involve loading a canned map or did they use a dyno?
If it's a canned map, they likely just chose one of the maps that matched your stage 1 components. These maps leave the AFR (air-fuel ratio) on the lean side.

I'd ask the dealer what they meant by finishing the tune.

Old 07-21-2011 | 11:54 AM
Geezr Glidr
|
Grand HDF Member

From what I understand, cat's gone. Don't know if it was on a dyno or not. Just assumed it was. I think I'll find another tuner anyway. Thanks.

Old 07-21-2011 | 12:03 PM
pargenz
Outstanding HDF Member

If you bought True Duals, mufflers and headers, then it is gone.

If they put it on a dyno they would have given you before and after print-outs (or should have). Not to mention that you would have paid for dyno time.

Ask them... my guess is they just reflashed your ECM with a map that acknowledges the new exhaust and air cleaner.

You could buy a tuner and do your own tuning or find a reputable shop in your area and get a good dyno done. Either one is gonna cost north of 3 or 4 bills.

Last edited by pargenz; 07-21-2011 at 12:05 PM.
Old 07-21-2011 | 12:06 PM
Geezr Glidr
|
Grand HDF Member

Thanks. I'll check it out.

Old 07-21-2011 | 12:16 PM
shooter5074
Outstanding HDF Member
From: Western Illinois, land of bad roads, and corrupt politicians

Brand new bike? Maybe they wanted to wait until you had fully seated your rings and valves. If they do it on a new motor, things will change after things settle in, and the motor loosens up a little bit.

In reality, it's still going to run hotter than say an 88. What did you ride before this bike?

Last edited by shooter5074; 07-21-2011 at 12:20 PM.
Old 07-21-2011 | 01:40 PM
Geezr Glidr
|
Grand HDF Member

Originally Posted by shooter5074
Brand new bike? Maybe they wanted to wait until you had fully seated your rings and valves. If they do it on a new motor, things will change after things settle in, and the motor loosens up a little bit.

In reality, it's still going to run hotter than say an 88. What did you ride before this bike?
09 EG Classic. 96 inch. 6 speed.

Old 07-21-2011 | 01:45 PM
shooter5074
Outstanding HDF Member
From: Western Illinois, land of bad roads, and corrupt politicians

Originally Posted by Geezr Glidr
09 EG Classic. 96 inch. 6 speed.
You are comparing a hot running motor to one that ran much cooler out of the box.

Just tell them you don't care about MPGs, and to richen it up. You can also pull the doors off of your lowers.... or remove the lowers all together and it will help your legs.

Old 07-21-2011 | 02:07 PM
Ronp42
Account Retired

Where do you do most of your riding? My wife and I have 2010's. Her's is the SG Trike with the 103. I recently changed her headpipe out for one without the cat. She claims she can't tell much difference in the heat. We don't ride in town much either.

Old 07-21-2011 | 02:21 PM
alkrisma
Road Captain

... no head pipe needed with Rinehart True Duals, at least that's what I've always thought?

Quick Reply: Sounds Kinda Fishy. Think I Need Another Tuner