Touring Models Road King, Road King Custom, Road King Classic, Road Glide, Street Glide, Electra Glide, Electra Glide Classic, and Electra Glide Ultra Classic bikes.
Sponsored by:
Sponsored by:

Harley Premium Ride Shocks

Search this Thread

Old 07-23-2011, 12:49 PM
flyingace
Outstanding HDF Member
Received 26 Likes on 19 Posts

I cant tell you about the new 13" version, but the 12" version was a HUGE improvement over the air shocks on my 09 SG.

I have a friend that sold his 09 Road king (13" air shocks) and bought a 2011 CVO Street glide (with the 12" version of these shocks) and he says the new bike rides BETTER than his Road king did, even with the loss of 1" of travel.

I would bet the 13" version rides great, based on his and my experience with the 12" version.

I picked mine up for $375 with a 30 percent discount coupon my dealer sends out every year.

And its REALLY nice not having to start a ride with XX pounds of air in the shocks, and ending it with less air due to leakage. The ONLY downside is having to unhook the saddlebag to adjust the left shock for preload. But its really no more of a hassle than pulling out the air pump and dinking with that.

I was wondering when they would come out with a 13" version.

I would hands down take these shocks over ANY alternative other than having a set custom made. (Iv'e had various progressives on various other bikes, just not a Harley bagger)

Last edited by flyingace; 07-23-2011 at 12:51 PM.
Old 07-23-2011, 01:18 PM
Texas Rapier
Road Warrior
Received 22 Likes on 14 Posts

I purchased a set of the premium low hand adjustable shocks of e-bay for a very good price off a 2010 CVO. I am very pleased with them on my 2009 Road King.

I feel the ride is better, I like the lowered feel and since my bike changes configuration a lot and that my wife will sometime ride with me I like that I can quickly change the shock settings.

The ride on smooth asphalt is out standing and on the rougher Beaumont Texas concrete interstate roads and highways is good.

I ride mostly solo so they are set at the minimum most of the time, add the wife and a tour pack, turn the shocks up two clicks and the bike is good to go.

Last edited by Texas Rapier; 07-23-2011 at 01:20 PM.
Old 07-23-2011, 01:34 PM
Mike
Ultimate HDF Member
Received 38 Likes on 35 Posts

I made the mistake of putting on a set of Ohlins shocks from motorcycle metal on my bike (3-1's). They took a little fussing around with to get set up properly, but they are worlds away from the stock shocks. The big problem with them is that they really point out how bad the stock front forks are now.

I looked at the listing for the new moco premium shocks and cartridge replacement, and they look pretty good. I'm thinking about going that way for the front, rather than wait for Howard to get his Ohlins front end done.

Old 07-23-2011, 05:00 PM
103 sedona orange
Ultimate HDF Member
Received 220 Likes on 192 Posts

I was told my HD parts man KYB made shocks. The one thing that bothers me about the Hd shocks is the the LH & RH do different jobs. I was also told that since the new frames/swingarms are stiffer this won't be a problem. IMO, if you plan on spending that much money why not have shocks build for your weight & ridin style. just my 2 cents.

Old 07-23-2011, 06:18 PM
leicafish
Outstanding HDF Member
Received 29 Likes on 19 Posts

I have then on my RK and I think wht work great so far. I use my Road King as a daily drive and spirited day rides in the mountains.

Personally I think all shocks are over priced period. I was able to get a near new set on the board.

Right now I am looking for a proven alternative for the Limited. But is is impossible to get a opinion that is beyond subjective.

Old 07-23-2011, 07:41 PM
dc1057
Cruiser
Received 2 Likes on 1 Post

I also think they are a big improvement over the stock shocks. Check e-bay. I believe a take off set just wet up for auction.

Old 07-23-2011, 07:47 PM
'05Train
Ultimate HDF Member
Received 883 Likes on 439 Posts

Originally Posted by boogaloodude
I made the mistake of putting on a set of Ohlins shocks from motorcycle metal on my bike (3-1's). They took a little fussing around with to get set up properly, but they are worlds away from the stock shocks. The big problem with them is that they really point out how bad the stock front forks are now.

I looked at the listing for the new moco premium shocks and cartridge replacement, and they look pretty good. I'm thinking about going that way for the front, rather than wait for Howard to get his Ohlins front end done.
I've got the Ricor Intiminators up front, and they help quite a bit. I'm curious about the new H-D cartridge setup though. I wonder if it's just a re-branded set of Progressive Monotubes.

Old 07-24-2011, 04:09 AM
grbrown
Club Member
Received 2,867 Likes on 2,429 Posts

Originally Posted by 103 sedona orange
I was told my HD parts man KYB made shocks. The one thing that bothers me about the Hd shocks is the the LH & RH do different jobs. I was also told that since the new frames/swingarms are stiffer this won't be a problem. IMO, if you plan on spending that much money why not have shocks build for your weight & ridin style. just my 2 cents.
The Harley fork cartridges do different jobs, but that is common practice with other brands as well. All to do with hysteresis! In other words one fork does the damping in one direction of travel, the other fork does the other direction. Neither provides damping in both directions, which is said to be GOOD!

I haven't discovered any rear shocks that work like that. I have Ohlins shocks that are identical and am hoping for Ohlins cartridge forks before long, but they will have the feature above.

Old 07-24-2011, 05:02 AM
flyingace
Outstanding HDF Member
Received 26 Likes on 19 Posts

Originally Posted by grbrown

I haven't discovered any rear shocks that work like that.
Um, the Harley ones this thread is about?

Old 07-25-2011, 04:27 AM
hardwork2
Road Warrior
Received 12 Likes on 10 Posts

If I get a few more reviews I may pull the trigger. Getting close to the trip. I'd really like not feeling every bump.

Quick Reply: Harley Premium Ride Shocks