Notices
Touring Models Road King, Road King Custom, Road King Classic, Road Glide, Street Glide, Electra Glide, Electra Glide Classic, and Electra Glide Ultra Classic bikes.
Sponsored by:
Sponsored by:

Tubeless laced profile wheels

Search this Thread

Old 07-20-2011, 09:26 PM
fathertime
Road Master
Received 2 Likes on 2 Posts
Default Tubeless laced profile wheels

I FOR ONE LOVE LACED WHEELS... BUT I REALIZE THE ISSUES OF GETTING CAUGHT IN BUM#### NOWHERE WITH A FLAT ,ANYONE KNOW HOW THESE WORK??

http://www.harley-davidson.com/gma/g...bmLocale=en_US

Old 07-20-2011, 10:54 PM
dfndr
Road Master
Received 0 Likes on 0 Posts

I too love laced wheels but went to bullets for that very reason. Couldn't read your link but I think HD sucks for using the wire wheels they do.

Old 07-20-2011, 10:55 PM
Navyrep1
Cruiser
Received 1 Like on 1 Post

Looks like fancy duct tape with an filler valve.....bet they have to glue it on the inner rim to seal over the spoke adjusters. Laced wheels look cool but they're a pain in the a$$ to keep clean....I usually just don't bother.

Old 07-20-2011, 10:58 PM
GlennW
Intermediate

Originally Posted by fathertime
I FOR ONE LOVE LACED WHEELS... BUT I REALIZE THE ISSUES OF GETTING CAUGHT IN BUM#### NOWHERE WITH A FLAT ,ANYONE KNOW HOW THESE WORK??

http://www.harley-davidson.com/gma/g...bmLocale=en_US
Looks like a thick, flat thingie with two ridges that inflate thereby sealing off and separating the spoke ends from the beads and air chamber of a tubeless tire. As it appears to have its own Schrader valve, the '12 "Smoothie Laced Wheels" must have two valve holes in them -- one for inflating this device and the normal one to inflate the tire. At least that's my take just from zooming in on the pic. I've been wrong before -- just ask my wife.

Old 07-20-2011, 11:00 PM
pargenz
Outstanding HDF Member
Received 4 Likes on 4 Posts

Fathertime... those are new for the 2012s. I don't know if the rim strips will work in other rims or if there is a special rim to accommodate them.

From my years in mountain biking I can tell you that rim strips are popular for folks who want to run laced rims. The rim strips used there don't inflate, they just seal the spoke connections so that a tubeless tire can be used.

Old 07-21-2011, 07:00 AM
piasspj
Seasoned HDF Member
Received 334 Likes on 191 Posts

New for this year, I'd wait and let someone else figure out how good they work.
My prediction is that soon we will have the old timers posting about how these are nothing but problems and how they never had a problem with a tube.

Old 07-21-2011, 07:21 AM
geezer glide 56
Road Warrior
Received 101 Likes on 37 Posts

Tubeless laced rims are nothing new other manufactures have been doing it for years...Harley has their own special way of reinventing the wheel...I think I will stick with my cast wheels for now.

Old 07-21-2011, 08:51 AM
Ronp42
Account Retired
Received 12 Likes on 11 Posts

I have the smooth Laced chrome profile rims on my 2010. They don't have these new for 12 inner bands, but they do have a rubber band to protect the tube from the spokes. Had them for a year now with no problems. Not hard to clean or put air in. I don't understand all the fuss about them.

Old 07-21-2011, 09:01 AM
BackAt5O
Tourer

I modified a set of laced wheels to run tubeless by sealing the rubber band to the wheel with aircraft fuel/pressure deck sealant. So far, one year of service and 10,000 miles with no problems. I feel cast and billet wheels date the bike.

Old 07-21-2011, 09:30 AM
fathertime
Road Master
Received 2 Likes on 2 Posts

Originally Posted by GlennW
Looks like a thick, flat thingie with two ridges that inflate thereby sealing off and separating the spoke ends from the beads and air chamber of a tubeless tire. As it appears to have its own Schrader valve, the '12 "Smoothie Laced Wheels" must have two valve holes in them -- one for inflating this device and the normal one to inflate the tire. At least that's my take just from zooming in on the pic. I've been wrong before -- just ask my wife.
interesting...thats how it looked to me too... don't think it would be a huge deal to drill another hole for the second valve since the rim is aluminum..??

Quick Reply: Tubeless laced profile wheels