Touring Models Road King, Road King Custom, Road King Classic, Road Glide, Street Glide, Electra Glide, Electra Glide Classic, and Electra Glide Ultra Classic bikes.
Sponsored by:
Sponsored by:

Advice needed

Search this Thread

Old 07-20-2011, 01:38 PM
Romark
Road Master
Received 0 Likes on 0 Posts
Default Advice needed

I am considering trading my '07 Wide Glide for a Road Glide. I thought I had decided on the Road Glide Custom, that is until my wife saw the Ultra. She says, "If you want me to go on long rides with you, I would like the ultra with the nicer seat and back rest.

I hadn't been a fan of the tour pack and the lowers but I will go this route if it means she will ride with me more.

My questions is this, what do the "lowers" do on these bikes and do they make the ride hotter by blocking the wind? What is the advantage of the lowers?

When I sat on the RG Ultra, I found myself looking through it. Does this mean I need a shorter shield?

And finally, does the weight take a lot of getting used to?

Still unsure what I am going to do at this point.

Thanks

Old 07-20-2011, 01:41 PM
thenewrage
Road Captain
Received 1 Like on 1 Post

You can remove the lowers easily enough and get a quick detach kit for the trunk and get a shorter shield. You get used to the weight real quick.

Old 07-20-2011, 02:41 PM
CurtisO
Tourer
Received 0 Likes on 0 Posts

The Custom has an inch shorter shock I believe. Less travel will make mom bounce more over bumps. It's cheaper to get the Ultra with everything on it and make detachable. I've got several shields and seats. Detachable tour pak. In about 15 minutes I can have any bike I want. Although mom likes to ride, so tour pak stays on 80% of the time. Oh and my glide is easier and more nimble than the softail it replaced. Better geometry in the front end. Never noticed the weight.

Last edited by CurtisO; 07-20-2011 at 02:43 PM. Reason: add
Old 07-20-2011, 02:45 PM
SICKBAGGER
Road Master
Received 3 Likes on 3 Posts

Ne the best thing you ever did considering the factors. You will never go back from an Ultra and I bet you end up leaving the lowers and tourpack on also.

Old 07-20-2011, 03:05 PM
longrideshields-1
Premium Sponsor
Received 87 Likes on 51 Posts

I can't answer for the lowers, but the shield will all depend on you. Some people like to look through the shield as you are now. If not, you will need a new shield sized for you. You want the top of the shield to line up with the tip of your nose/mouth area. This way, you're looking over the shield, and with a flip-up design shield the air will flow up and over your head.

General Inquiries:
Info@LongRideShields.com
Sales and Marketing:
Sales@LongRideShields.com
Phone:

Old 07-20-2011, 03:13 PM
PistonPuller
Ultimate HDF Member
Received 5 Likes on 5 Posts

The only thing that would take getting used to as far as weight goes is if you drop it and have to pick it back up. Would require a different lifting technique. Once you get rolling you can set the cruise let go and take a nap...(insert sarcasm smiley face) Seriously weight is not a factor.

Old 07-20-2011, 03:52 PM
firefighter156
Road Master
Received 48 Likes on 37 Posts

Originally Posted by Romark
I am considering trading my '07 Wide Glide for a Road Glide. I thought I had decided on the Road Glide Custom, that is until my wife saw the Ultra. She says, "If you want me to go on long rides with you, I would like the ultra with the nicer seat and back rest.

I hadn't been a fan of the tour pack and the lowers but I will go this route if it means she will ride with me more.

My questions is this, what do the "lowers" do on these bikes and do they make the ride hotter by blocking the wind? What is the advantage of the lowers?

When I sat on the RG Ultra, I found myself looking through it. Does this mean I need a shorter shield?

And finally, does the weight take a lot of getting used to?

Still unsure what I am going to do at this point.

Thanks
Get the Ultra and take off what you don't think you need. Lowers remove easy. But there damn nice in the rain and if its chilly out. Don't let the weight worry you. No big deal. The shield is personal preference. Many choices. Rule of thumb is, if its tinted you should look over it, if clear you look through it. Just a guideline though. Lastly if she wants to ride in comfort, compromise and get the Ultra. She will thank you for it, and you will both enjoy it. Good luck.

Old 07-20-2011, 04:02 PM
SharkBite
Road Captain
Received 10 Likes on 9 Posts

I have the 2010 RG Custom but at the time of purchase I special ordered the tour-pak, rear speakers with the detachable kit. I just purchased the (vented) lowers and installed them yesterday. Took it for a ride in 95 degree weather yesterday. The gauge showed air temp about 104. I had been having issues with buffeting, especially around big trucks (this isn't my first bike and never had it previously with the electra glide). I think the lowers improved that issue.

Getting ready to head to Michigan from Atlanta in a week or so. Looking forward to it, although I've tried new bars, new grips and grip weights, anti-vibration gloves etc to get rid of the numb hands issue but I'm still numb in about half hour.

Old 07-20-2011, 05:07 PM
6 gun
Ultimate HDF Member
Received 1,747 Likes on 982 Posts

Just keep mama happy and she keep you happy
I went from a 2000 WG to an 07 RKC mama happy
and I'm happy

Old 07-20-2011, 05:23 PM
sanlyn
Road Master
Received 9 Likes on 3 Posts

Put the vented lowers on my 2010 Road Glide. The adjustable vents work fine for directing air when it's warm, and blocking when it's cold (or rainy).

Quick Reply: Advice needed