Touring Models Road King, Road King Custom, Road King Classic, Road Glide, Street Glide, Electra Glide, Electra Glide Classic, and Electra Glide Ultra Classic bikes.
Sponsored by:
Sponsored by:

Dealer quoted 10 hours to install Monkey Bars..

Search this Thread

Old 07-19-2011, 07:35 PM
vtwinbob
Road Captain
Received 2 Likes on 2 Posts

Originally Posted by Khainedaemon
Does that sound right? I know from reading on here that it does take some time and patience to get the wires ran through the bars, but should I really be looking at spending $850 just to have them installed?? Also, does anyone know a good Independent shop around the St. Louis area? I would much rather not pay dealership prices for work.
that does sound a bit high, you can give korn's cycle a call 314-423-5455 there in Breckenridge,mo and see what he gives as a quote. he's been around for about 30 years, some of my buddy's have gone there. BTW who gave you the quote? I'm thinking of getting some bars on my ultra

Old 07-19-2011, 07:49 PM
Khainedaemon
Advanced
Received 0 Likes on 0 Posts

Originally Posted by vtwinbob
that does sound a bit high, you can give korn's cycle a call 314-423-5455 there in Breckenridge,mo and see what he gives as a quote. he's been around for about 30 years, some of my buddy's have gone there. BTW who gave you the quote? I'm thinking of getting some bars on my ultra
St. Charles Harley Davidson gave me the quote for 10 hours.

Old 07-19-2011, 07:54 PM
blusmbl
Road Warrior
Received 8 Likes on 7 Posts

Originally Posted by SH_01FXDWG
I've heard that using baby powder to wipe down the wires with helps pull them thru smooth as silk. Plus the bp won't break down the protective covering on the wires like a petroleum based lubricant would.
I used windex. I also covered the bundles of wires completely in heat shrink. Right side was hard due to the TBW connector, but it wasn't as bad as I expected it to be.

Old 07-19-2011, 08:12 PM
Solo Rider
Advanced

My local HD shop charged me 6hrs to do the swap. At 72.00 hour. And 3hrs to install the painted inner fairing and cap. That was to put the bars on PYO levers PYO power mirriors. I Thought it was a fair deal to me.

Old 07-19-2011, 09:18 PM
Suede Blue Man
HDF Community Team
Veteran: Army
Received 763 Likes on 528 Posts

I asked the local HD shop here and they said 10hrs of labor, that was last year I think.
The pins and connectors gave me some pain, they didn't want to disconnect from each other.
I lubed the wire bundles up with some Armor All, I think the HD shop said they use dish washing soap, which no doubt would have worked better but I figured the AA would be better than drying/aging soap on the bundles.

Old 07-19-2011, 09:18 PM
rg_dave
Outstanding HDF Member
Received 19 Likes on 13 Posts

No wires to splice. Just clutch cable and brake line. Get the SE TBW. It will make pulling the wires much easier. Poly bushings. Lots of info here. Get the manual. No way would I pay 10 hrs to get this done. Do it yourself. Shame your so far away. I'd say come by bring the bottle of rum and we'd knock it out in 4 hours easy.

Last edited by rg_dave; 07-19-2011 at 09:21 PM.
Old 07-19-2011, 09:27 PM
JDG1172
Advanced
Received 1 Like on 1 Post

It's really not hard to do your self. Did not have to extend wires to put 14's on my road glide. A HD electrical manual may tell you how to get the wire pins back into the plugs a little quicker then I was able to. I had 2 hr into that alone. Left harness is no prob. Right side just pull the btw through separate from the switch harness. I pull the btw through first just enough so the wires came through the bottom of the bars, leaving the connector that is in line on that harness out of the way. My dealer wanted $1500 for parts and labor. My parts cost me $750 for all top end stuff plus stainless lower lines that are not required to do the job.
Good luck to you

Old 07-19-2011, 09:31 PM
UltraWalt
Road Captain
Received 30 Likes on 24 Posts

1+ on Pistonpuller, me and buddy of mine put on 14" on my street glide and it took us 10 hours. We split it up in two days, took our time and no adult beverages. Install was really not that bad.

Old 07-19-2011, 09:32 PM
JDG1172
Advanced
Received 1 Like on 1 Post

Tby not btw. Opps

Old 07-19-2011, 09:45 PM
indigofarm
Tourer

FYI If you get the kit from yaffe. I couldn't get the welding wire to go through for sh!+

I used titanium. Weedeater string and it worked flawlessly with some silicone spray

Make sure you have the bars laid out correctly so you don't pull them through the wrong side the first time

Don't ask me how I know.

Quick Reply: Dealer quoted 10 hours to install Monkey Bars..