Touring Models Road King, Road King Custom, Road King Classic, Road Glide, Street Glide, Electra Glide, Electra Glide Classic, and Electra Glide Ultra Classic bikes.
Sponsored by:
Sponsored by:

Dealer quoted 10 hours to install Monkey Bars..

Search this Thread

Old 07-19-2011, 04:42 PM
sublime_ac
Road Master
Received 0 Likes on 0 Posts

Originally Posted by LAC187
We had less than 10 hrs into installing a set of our PrimeApes, and that was with shooting a video! Granted, I've done a few bar installs in my day, but 8hrs should be a sufficient billing time. We are editing the install video now, and hopefully between that and our cable kits, it will give guys the ammo they need to tackle this project themselves.
I'll send you pics of mine when it's done.. It should look sharp.. Using Magnum Shielding Black Pearl cables...

I hope +6" is long enough

Old 07-19-2011, 04:49 PM
leeinmemphis
Road Warrior
Received 3 Likes on 3 Posts

FWIW I have a set of bars on the way and last night disassembled the bike down to the point of where I am waiting on the bars. The tear down only took about an hour or hour and a half. I imagine it'll take probably a couple of hours to reassemble it. It doesn't look like it's going to be too bad of a job.(knock on wood )

Old 07-19-2011, 04:49 PM
blusmbl
Road Warrior
Received 8 Likes on 7 Posts

It's a lot of boring, tedious work. I got the same 10 hour quote from my dealer, then promptly did it myself instead.

Old 07-19-2011, 04:50 PM
LAC187
Former Sponsor

Originally Posted by sublime_ac
I'll send you pics of mine when it's done.. It should look sharp.. Using Magnum Shielding Black Pearl cables...

I hope +6" is long enough
Did ya get chrome or black? Please send pics, i need more for the website and catalogs! chucky@lachoppers.com

Old 07-19-2011, 04:57 PM
PistonPuller
Ultimate HDF Member
Received 5 Likes on 5 Posts

Originally Posted by Kobra
This was one of the upgrades I was wanting to do while my bike was being repaired from an accident. I was quoated 750.00.
Seemed pretty high so I mentioned to the service tech. that my bike was going to be completely disassembled and rebuilt on a new frame.
He acknowledged this fact and still the price was still 750.00.

Appearantly they are trying to discourage anyone from doing this at their shop.
Thats because the labor is in the wiring of the bars themselves. Maybe an hour of the total install is in removing and putting back on the bars

Old 07-19-2011, 04:59 PM
julesdain
Road Captain

Received 99 Likes on 62 Posts

Originally Posted by PistonPuller
Took my amateur *** about 8 hours. That included a few minutes to walk away and have a beer to clam down on a few occasions
Ha Ha Yep me too. Lucky for me my kids were not in the house or they would have learned a few new words.
What I ended up doing was taking the bike apart and bars off myself, the wiring of the bars I had to get my indy do ($40) and then I put it all back together myself. Over all cost was $40. Word of advice don't try to pull all the wires through at once (as I was trying to do). My indy said he had it done in 20 min by pulling a few wires at a time. Still after fighting with the wiring for 2 hours the $40 was well worth it. Oh and the bars are fatter than the stock ones and I found that the inner fairing did not fit as good as before, minor issue but still worth mentioning.

Last edited by julesdain; 07-19-2011 at 07:47 PM.
Old 07-19-2011, 06:10 PM
indigofarm
Tourer

It might be high but not too far off, especially taking off fairing, rewiring, taking off exhaust, and pitting on a new clutch cable and brake lines

Old 07-19-2011, 06:14 PM
PistonPuller
Ultimate HDF Member
Received 5 Likes on 5 Posts

Originally Posted by indigofarm
It might be high but not too far off, especially taking off fairing, rewiring, taking off exhaust, and pitting on a new clutch cable and brake lines
He's got a 2011. Assuming he has a stock exhaust, it will not need to be removed.

Old 07-19-2011, 06:36 PM
nlando
Tourer
Received 1 Like on 1 Post

What height are the bars? If they are the 12's, you should only need to do brake and clutch lines. Wire harnesses can be relocated to below the stereo in your fairing to get you some more length, and you can pull all the pins out of the connectors in order to pull all the wires through the bars. When you have done that, then put the pins back into the connectors. No need to cut your stock wires that way. Also remember to have lube at the ready to help get the wires through the bars.

Old 07-19-2011, 07:12 PM
SH_01FXDWG
Road Master
Received 1 Like on 1 Post

I've heard that using baby powder to wipe down the wires with helps pull them thru smooth as silk. Plus the bp won't break down the protective covering on the wires like a petroleum based lubricant would.

Quick Reply: Dealer quoted 10 hours to install Monkey Bars..