Touring Models Road King, Road King Custom, Road King Classic, Road Glide, Street Glide, Electra Glide, Electra Glide Classic, and Electra Glide Ultra Classic bikes.
Sponsored by:
Sponsored by:

103 vs 96

Search this Thread

Old 07-19-2011, 01:23 PM
rg_dave
Outstanding HDF Member
Received 19 Likes on 13 Posts

You get the compression releases with the 103. Bottom line it is a better platform for performance mods. Rest of the motor is the same other than displacement. I'm happy with my stage 1, 96 though. At some point you have to stop or turn, I'll catch you then.

Last edited by rg_dave; 07-19-2011 at 01:28 PM.
Old 07-19-2011, 01:31 PM
KCFLHRC
Ultimate HDF Member
Received 1,301 Likes on 781 Posts

Originally Posted by FenderGuy53
My 2011 SG with 96TC motor will pull right out from under us if I'm not careful.
No disrespect but I find this comment hilarious. These things are the biggest dogs I have ever ridden. Is it possible you have nothing to compare it to? Now my Yamaha Roadliner would break your neck. Right at 100 hp stock. But my 11 Limited is at best a whipped pup. I see lots of upgrades in the future. Don't get me wrong it has enough power to get you down the road and I'm sure a stage 1 with a cam upgrade will really wake it up.

Old 07-19-2011, 01:42 PM
jackthebiker
Cruiser
Received 86 Likes on 37 Posts

Originally Posted by KCFLHTK
No disrespect but I find this comment hilarious. These things are the biggest dogs I have ever ridden. Is it possible you have nothing to compare it to? Now my Yamaha Roadliner would break your neck. Right at 100 hp stock. But my 11 Limited is at best a whipped pup. I see lots of upgrades in the future. Don't get me wrong it has enough power to get you down the road and I'm sure a stage 1 with a cam upgrade will really wake it up.
My 2008 Stratoliner was strong as you said,(same engine/bike as a Roadliner), but my 2006 Vulcan 2000 Classic LT was stronger.

Old 07-19-2011, 01:44 PM
FenderGuy53
Outstanding HDF Member
Received 6 Likes on 6 Posts

No disrespect but I find this comment hilarious. These things are the biggest dogs I have ever ridden. Is it possible you have nothing to compare it to?
No comparison needed, KCFLHTK. It does what it does. IMHO, it does a good job of it, too.

Old 07-19-2011, 01:46 PM
UltraTheo
Road Master
Received 5 Likes on 5 Posts

Kinda thought the same thing when I read that one. Obviously has never ridden a Yamaha YZF-R1. No way will these things "pull right out from under you."

Old 07-19-2011, 02:03 PM
royston
Road Captain
Received 49 Likes on 36 Posts

Hi, I'm may sound a bit different here, I liked the 1450, great lump but I was a bit disappointed with 96" in my first SG, I always thought it sounded valvey if that makes sense and the motor didnt feel as responsive as my 1450 even after I got it breathing better, to be frank maybe I was expecting great things but other than the much improved handling I felt screwed in having paid the cash......now onto the 103"......it is the best I have ridden. Take one for a test ride is best advice, I would be really surprised if you were not impressed. Even in stock form (as I have kept mine for the time being) it is great.
All the best,
R

Old 07-19-2011, 02:09 PM
JoeTag
Road Captain
Received 17 Likes on 6 Posts

I love the performance of the 103. You need to do a stage 1 to really appreciate it and eliminate the heat issues.

Old 07-19-2011, 03:11 PM
Coach1
Tourer
Received 0 Likes on 0 Posts

Harley is no different than the car manufactures when it comes to marketing the newest and greatest, and separate you from your money. "My 103 is badder than your 96" so what, every year it will be something else. The Street Glide/Ultra is a cruiser and the 96" moves it down the road very well. If you want speed and handling there are other options. V-Rod, BMWs, the list is endless. You will drive yourself crazy I assure you if you're striving to buy the perfect bike or car and .... what is perfect ??? you will get endless answers to that question. I'm happy with my 96" SG, others are happy with their 103's and 110's. The new Jeep in the garage doesn't have a 5.7L Hemi in it either and it gets the job done.

Old 07-19-2011, 03:20 PM
56tbird
Tourer
Received 0 Likes on 0 Posts

I take my ride for what it is... a very good looking touring platform that is well suited for what it is intended for. Will it snap your neck? Of course not, but it has enough umph to make things mildly interesting. Instead of stuffing all kinds of $$ into it to make it fast and maybe cause new issues like non- reliability, I'd rather spend 3 or 4K on a 1st generation Yamaha Vmax and use that as my go fast bike..I'm a 90% cruiser/tourer and a 10% drag/go fast guy. The combo above will suit me just fine and save a ton of frustration (and $$$)

Old 07-19-2011, 03:34 PM
flattracker60
Tourer
Received 2 Likes on 2 Posts

Originally Posted by SG_Dave
You get the compression releases with the 103. Bottom line it is a better platform for performance mods. Rest of the motor is the same other than displacement. I'm happy with my stage 1, 96 though. At some point you have to stop or turn, I'll catch you then.
No you wont, cause when I'm leaving the stop sign, you're just getting there, and when I'm exiting the corner, you're entering.

And to the guy that said "it will pull right out from underneath him".......my last bike was an '08 CBR1000........These HD's are as slow as they come (in stock form)......but ya gotta love 'em.

Quick Reply: 103 vs 96