Touring Models Road King, Road King Custom, Road King Classic, Road Glide, Street Glide, Electra Glide, Electra Glide Classic, and Electra Glide Ultra Classic bikes.
Sponsored by:
Sponsored by:

Cruise Control Fails to Disengage

Search this Thread

Old 07-19-2011, 10:04 AM
Stache
Cruiser
Received 0 Likes on 0 Posts

Why didn't I use the clutch? Humm … good question and the clutch is certainly a good way to remover power from the rear wheel. It may over rev the engine but when it comes to a choice of my hide or the engine, I'll pick my hide every time.

When riding the twisties I use a combination of techniques to control speed. In this case, as stated, I was coming off a long straight(ish) stretch. I was just entering a climb that would take me over skyline drive. If I just need to bleed off a little speed, many times I'll just apply a little rear break which was my mode of operation in this case. If I am entering a hair pin I'm probably using front and rear break, and down shifting. Going downhill and traffic permitting, I enjoy planning my track through the turns, down shifting, and leaning hard through turns (I've drug the floor boards more than once) and powering out while seldom using the breaks at all.

Maybe it’s a mental block for me but I seldom think about using the clutch for anything other than changing gears. This whole event took maybe 3-4 seconds. You seldom actually think during this time. You just react. I just knew the bike was behaving unexpectedly and badly. It wasn't until after the fact I fully realized what had happened. Knowing what I know now, should it ever happen again, I may react differently.

One time I had a rear tire blow out on me doing about 60. For the first few seconds I wasn't sure what was going on. I just knew the rear was getting really squirrely. Believe me when I tell you, now that my *** knows (literally) what loosing pressure at speed in a rear tire feels like, that if it ever happens again, I'll will recognize it quicker. By the same token I hope I remember what a run-a-way cruise control feels like and do something other than locking up the rear break.

Old 07-19-2011, 01:46 PM
TheSinistral
Tourer

Man, I still don't get it. When the SHTF, I immediately grab a fistfull of clutch, reverse-roll the throttle, press the rear brake and start to squeeze the front brake until I figure out WTF is going on... But I am coming from a sportbike where I was doing all that at least 20mph faster than absolutely necessary.

Maybe you need to start doing some mental reps on what to do in an emergency, then practice them... What if this was a blowout? Possibly a blessing in disguise....

-Sin'

Old 07-19-2011, 02:16 PM
upstate tim
Road Captain
Received 5 Likes on 3 Posts

Panic breaking is taught at dealers in this area when they have "seminars".
I confess to not making it to class as of yet. Got me wondering though, had the bike out an hour ago and tested all the cruise shutoffs associated with throttle, brakes and clutch. Probably not a bad routine.

Old 09-05-2017, 11:02 AM
utazzit
2nd Gear

I have this same problem the rear brake does not turn it off. After reading this forum I am thinking it is because I put a LED brake light on my bike. Not sure if this is the problem.

Old 09-05-2017, 12:17 PM
ve9aa
Outstanding HDF Member
Received 647 Likes on 399 Posts

You realize of course that this thread is over 6 yrs old, right?
Maybe start a new thread dude !

Old 09-06-2017, 10:07 AM
btsom
Grand HDF Member
Received 769 Likes on 522 Posts

Originally Posted by upstate tim
Runs off the brake light switch I think.
Check your brake light?

I hate using cruise on the bike. I use it when I can't feel my right hand anymore..

I also hate using it on the car. Must be a "control" thing
I have a Road King so the speedo is way down out of the normal sight range. I like the cruise because it frees me to pay attention to everything else and not have to look down periodically to check speed. While the speedo in the car is closer to the normal field of view, the cruise still allows the same concentration on traffic and road surface rather than speed. To each his own.